Rucking Hell | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rucking Hell

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Just wondering if all this focus on the opposition rucks is the best discussion

Our pressure was half of what it was in the premiership years. Maybe lift the pressure rating and maybe the ruck question becomes redundant
Yep- we need to worry about what makes us the best team we can be, not what the opposition may or may not be doing.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Just wondering if all this focus on the opposition rucks is the best discussion

Our pressure was half of what it was in the premiership years. Maybe lift the pressure rating and maybe the ruck question becomes redundant
Outside of the game on the weekend I think there's enough body of work over the past few seasons now to see the pattern vs the Dees.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Outside of the game on the weekend I think there's enough body of work over the past few seasons now to see the pattern vs the Dees.
They beat us early last year, before we got going. They beat us in 2021 when we never got going. They didnt beat us between 2017-2020 when we were good.
The pattern i see is if we are a better team we win, if we are not we dont. Gawn or no Gawn.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
The Melb. of 2021 -2022 very different beat to pre 2021

faster ball movement when they choose to

very good defensive setups behind the ball ( Lever & May)

Gawn is dangerous down forward and one of the best at ball ups and boundry throw ins , and he has a very good midfield at his feet

all that adds up to serious premiership threat

now they just have to maintain a healthy list and hold their form till sept

no harm in our coaches copying bits from them and working out ways to counter them , suspect we'll have to beat them on the way to a premiership

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Nobody has a second ruck. So Grundy is going to get soft matchups all year. Jackson will be the toughest and after that... Lobb*?

The other thing is that with Grundy getting an armchair ride Gawn can rest more and stay fresher.

In the end the right strategy may be to play no rucks. But there's plenty of testing to be done yet.

The beauty of it for Melbourne is they have a genuine second ruck and both of them can endurance run like a midfielder so there's no exposure in conceding the hit out and playing a small to hurt them around the ground.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

If our pressure rating doesn't lift then anything to do with us becomes redundant.

Think we were bottom 2 in the comp last year, bring that again and all we have done by bringing in Taranto and Hopper is add three years to a reset.

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The beauty of it for Melbourne is they have a genuine second ruck and both of them can endurance run like a midfielder so there's no exposure in conceding the hit out and playing a small to hurt them around the ground.

What surprised me about Gawn on Saturday was how we pushed up the ground and then ducked into space leading. His forward craft was a lot better than I thought. It wasn't just put it on his head. He almost played the Tom Lynch hit up the wings and come back role.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
What surprised me about Gawn on Saturday was how we pushed up the ground and then ducked into space leading. His forward craft was a lot better than I thought. It wasn't just put it on his head. He almost played the Tom Lynch hit up the wings and come back role.
He's smarter than the average ruckbear

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Thank christ gws went cold on soldo.

Samson needs 2-3 years before hes the premier ruckman of the modern era.

What were we thinking putting Ivan on the table?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Add young ruckman to the key forward we need so badly.

I did think Soldo looked really mobile for him. Got involved around the ground. Hopefully, he can get back to pre-knee form.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

Each of Melbourne's rucks is a genuine #1 strike ruck. Oh, yeah, TBR. Stamina to burn. And then, given the setup, they'll have 70 and 60% TOG each when it suits them.

Always fresh.

Conceding the hitout? Dangerous before 666 and stand mark rule. You'd only do it in planned phases. (Or nothing to lose phases.) It has not been sustainable for50 years of my observation.

Having got that out of the way we can probably all agree that if any side can get a VG small on either Max Gawn or Brodie Grundy at the fall the good small will win. And if a side can get an actual tall back on either of them (when forward) the tall back will win.

It remains to be seen how the setup works out over the year. Melbs has a thick and strong list, if idiosyncratic in structure. I have them clear Premiership favourite at this stage.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Don't think big Ivy is going to hang around if he doesn't get a regular game this year. Ryan is being used forward in the VFL, that might be his best position. Not sure about Mate Colina, very big doubts for mine.
If Soldo does choose to look elsewhere we are very thin on the ground for ruckmen, it needs to be addressed.