Rucking Hell | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rucking Hell

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Nakas shouldn't be captain and he is really struggling.
We are watching ruckman older then him influence games, while he struggles getting off the ground..
Hawkins has tottaly derailed Soldo's career

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Nanks battering Ram play and lots of one out rucking is catching up with him.

Hes had a bad adductor or groin tear which needed surgery, and more than one PCL injury and knee injury.

He played on one leg last year and I think his ability to jump has been significantly diminished from those injuries especially the groin, and I wouldn't be surprised if the PCL injuries have changed the way he approaches ruck ing contests to minimise the chance of contact, but I am just assuming or surmising.

FWIW I dont think either Nank or Grimes shouldve been captain.

I love them both but they both played out of sorts last season and I'm not sure they were comfortable.

Reactions: 5 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Nanks battering Ram play and lots of one out rucking is catching up with him.

Hes had a bad adductor or groin tear which needed surgery, and more than one PCL injury and knee injury.

He played on one leg last year and I think his ability to jump has been significantly diminished from those injuries especially the groin, and I wouldn't be surprised if the PCL injuries have changed the way he approaches ruck ing contests to minimise the chance of contact, but I am just assuming or surmising.

FWIW I dont think either Nank or Grimes shouldve been captain.

I love them both but they both played out of sorts last season and I'm not sure they were comfortable.

My preseason prediction on January 10:

3. Nankervis will start to struggle physically and Soldo will move past him.

The end comes fast for small big men.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Nank looks very fit atm and was getting as much air as he ever has on the weekend. Mobile and confident in his body (knee). That may not last but right now he's back to his best such as it is.

I also thought he was more competitive against Grundy than usual in the praccy. Grundy usually flogs him. Gawn was way too big and athletic for our man as usual.

On Nank, for all his strengths he walked into he club one of the worst spoilers I have ever seen. And finished last season with trademark failure to kill the ball in the defensive square. If he plays back he must stand in the hole. And that puts pressure on actual tall backs to spoil. Actual tall backs will do that. If we can find any.

Soldo was effective in the hole against Melbourne. And could touch the ball at a centre bounce.

Hardwick showed none of his hand on the weekend. We know how he operates - he tests, gets his result and then changes things around. He got data and will be working on ways around the unprecedented Melbourne ruck challenge. Everybody is working on that.

We can be certain of one thing - Hardwick will be planning around Nankervis, who is currently fresh and sound.

Reactions: 7 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The other day I was talking to a couple of Collingwood supporters who were expressing their delight that Grundy had left. They spent a great deal of time making the following points:

Grundy is soft
Grundy is overpaid
Grundy can’t ruck, he is just a tall ruck-rover
Grundy can’t mark
Grundy can’t play as a forward.

This conversation just reinforced to me what a couple of dumb schmucks they are.

Melbourne have pulled off a master stroke coupling Gawn and Grundy together. Grundy can do all of those things, except that he is not overpaid my Melbourne. Yet again, Collingwood signed a player up to a ridiculous contract, immediately fell out of love with him and will now spend years paying him to play somewhere else.

Our rucks won’t encounter two guys of this calibre together when they play any other team.

Reactions: 9 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
It is probably the first time in history that the clear top two rucks in the league play for the same team. It will be interesting to watch it unfold during the season.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Nobody has a second ruck. So Grundy is going to get soft matchups all year. Jackson will be the toughest and after that... Lobb*?

The other thing is that with Grundy getting an armchair ride Gawn can rest more and stay fresher.

In the end the right strategy may be to play no rucks. But there's plenty of testing to be done yet.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I reckon this is where the sub rule comes in.

If we're playing a team like Melbourne who field a couple of genuine rucks, then Soldo and Nank are in, with a Miller-type as the sub so we have an option to switch things up if required.

If we play a team with full time/part time ruck combo, or a team of midgets, then we go Nank'n'Miller-type, with Soldo as sub in case it's the day Nank turns in his annual shocker.

Simples.
Simples. Until a small gets injured early and we play with Nank, Soldo and Miller, plus Jack and Lynch.

I dont reckon we have ever considered the opposition when we pick our team and I dont reckon we will start now. We will decide who is our best 2nd ruck to suit the footy we want to play, and we will pick them each week, until form- either individual or team- forces us to change. we wont swap and change based on our opponents rucks.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It is probably the first time in history that the clear top two rucks in the league play for the same team. It will be interesting to watch it unfold during the season.
You must have a short memory. back in our previous glory years, we had Andrew Browne AND Angus Graham.

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
plus two elite backs.
Its a good structure, filled out with competent role players.

Yep, look at our team in 2017, bunch of stars and a large pile of players who had their job and played their roles very well.

It is a recipe for success.

Not sure how they are juggling the salary cap but I figure some contracts front ended, others back ended. Might all end with going off a cliff but if you can snag a couple of flags on the way it is worth it. With equalisation in the draft etc it is a decent way to work the system.

DS

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Darcy at Freo shaping well.

Nobody has a second ruck. So Grundy is going to get soft matchups all year. Jackson will be the toughest and after that... Lobb*?

The other thing is that with Grundy getting an armchair ride Gawn can rest more and stay fresher.

In the end the right strategy may be to play no rucks. But there's plenty of testing to be done yet.

Second ruck dominance is brilliant. The Dees had it with Jackson, so its a good armchair for them to have.

So your solution is to double up on the Grigg ploy?
Lets go all in in the confusion stakes.
Centre square we ruck with Shai. Or MRJ. If that ball bobbles out then we'll swarm them!
Around the ground mix it up, always someone new. Macca. Pickett. Flossy.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We might have increased our clearance strength by bringing in Hopper & Taranto but Gawn absolutely dominated Nank (again).
Wouldn't matter what mids we have with that silver service. It's THE key reason we struggle against the Dees in recent times.
Gawn kills him.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
We might have increased our clearance strength by bringing in Hopper & Taranto but Gawn absolutely dominated Nank (again).
Wouldn't matter what mids we have with that silver service. It's THE key reason we struggle against the Dees in recent times.
Gawn kills him.
Is Soldo the answer against Gawn?
Ivan would be at a disadvantage for getting across the lawn

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Two elite rucks feeding two elite midfielders. The Dees looked great unfortunately.
The key to their 2 rucks being a success will be what they do up forward. It worked on Saturday, but in real games Gawn has shown he is ok there, Grundy not so much. if they cant work up forward they are going to end up with a very good ruckman sitting on the bench a lot of the game.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Just wondering if all this focus on the opposition rucks is the best discussion

Our pressure was half of what it was in the premiership years. Maybe lift the pressure rating and maybe the ruck question becomes redundant