Rucking Hell | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rucking Hell

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
It’s well and good to say he can stay in the VFL for another two years.
But if the kid is ready just play him or he will walk home to south Australia.

And then there’s Nanks!
Wouldn’t like to be the one to tell him but CCJ is everything and more. Just needs further conditioning and strength. Competing is not his issue. He also has a far higher football I.Q than the others

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I can see all three Nank, Soldo and CCJ each playing 15 games or there abouts next year.

Reckon we have learnt from our injuries this year and can see more players being rested during 2020.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
It’s well and good to say he can stay in the VFL for another two years.
But if the kid is ready just play him or he will walk home to south Australia.

Agree with you.

Point is we do not need to force the progression. We have the luxury of time with most of the kids and their development.

It is a beautiful thing supporting Richmond these days.

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
Sorry to dig this up after almost 2 years but it appears the club is not after any backup Rucks at least not at the trade table. No Rucking problems! Stef Martin, Preuss, Wright, Hickey all appear to be on the move but we haven't been interested...not that this list makes you green with envy.

I still think we need one more while Soldo is down. I also think we should give Nank one game off every 4-5 games to keep him fresh for finals.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
It’s hard to tell, I mean if CCJ steps up then it’s all good. But if he doesn’t we are a bit rooted. After Nank the cupboard is bare, Chol just ain’t up to it but is contracted for ‘21. Culina isn’t coming til ‘22 and won’t be ready for many seasons after that.

I tend to think we need an insurance ruck for just 12 months. A late ND pick or more probably a rookie pick.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Chol, Balta and Miller are adequate 2nd ruck options but none of them could shoulder a full ruck burden.

If Nank goes down in 2021 (and he has the past 2 years), we are fruited. Agree, we need an established ruck option. Just someone that has the body to compete for large proportions of games.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
A new rookie ruck every second year or so wouldn't be a bad philosophy I reckon. One will come good eventually and if we have a surplus, they normally get a good return

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
It’s become a bit of an in thing getting the 3rd string ruck for a season or 2. Hawthorn did it with Keegan Brooksby and there’s a couple of others but I can’t recall their names.

WB getting Stef Martin. St Kilda did it with Ryan Abbott.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Chol, Balta and Miller are adequate 2nd ruck options but none of them could shoulder a full ruck burden.

If Nank goes down in 2021 (and he has the past 2 years), we are fruited. Agree, we need an established ruck option. Just someone that has the body to compete for large proportions of games.
And if those three don’t work we go back to plan A - Rioli and George with cameos from Astbury

• Haha

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
A new rookie ruck every second year or so wouldn't be a bad philosophy I reckon. One will come good eventually and if we have a surplus, they normally get a good return
Mate! Or what ever his name is. Not staring until March but should be Nank backup by bigboy month!

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
It’s become a bit of an in thing getting the 3rd string ruck for a season or 2. Hawthorn did it with Keegan Brooksby and there’s a couple of others but I can’t recall their names.

WB getting Stef Martin. St Kilda did it with Ryan Abbott.
The "Big O" principle, (Orren) Stephenson that is.

• Wow

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I've already posted that I think we have the ruck stocks covered by CCJ and Chol, plus extras, if Nank was to go down again. Or at least for the short term. Much would depend on how severe the injury and how many games he would miss.
It will be really tough with no Soldo though.

And neither CCJ or Chol would be up and ready for carrying a first ruck's role initially either. However, they are good enough 'stop-gaps' to provide a good contest for a team that has proven it can succeed without clearances. I have seen many former players, often young and inexperienced, turn into adequate ruckmen because they were thrown in the deep end. But it takes time; sometimes a whole sesaon or close.

So my final point. The Druggies getting Wright, a former pick 8, for a 4th rounder appears an absolute bargain. Never thought GCS would sell him that easily. At that rate, would have grabbed him for insurance. A steal. If he's crappy these days, which is doubtful, no great loss to cut after a year or two.

Really hope flogs like Dodoro are not going to emerge looking like big winners at the end of this trade period!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Really hope flogs like Dodoro are not going to emerge looking like big winners at the end of this trade period!
Not bothered who wins the trade period or by how much. Only interested who wins the footy season.
Been plenty of singin n dancin over trade seasons as to how masterful Dodo n Sos n that Geelol bloke are n how they set their clubs up to play finals n yada yada yada.
Reckon we've been just quietly shuffling along in the trade n draft periods of recent years n getting things done with a minimum of hoopla n fuss. Seems to be working just fine.

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Not bothered who wins the trade period or by how much. Only interested who wins the footy season.
Been plenty of singin n dancin over trade seasons as to how masterful Dodo n Sos n that Geelol bloke are n how they set their clubs up to play finals n yada yada yada.
Reckon we've been just quietly shuffling along in the trade n draft periods of recent years n getting things done with a minimum of hoopla n fuss. Seems to be working just fine.
If we don't need to trade for others cast-offs why worry as our list is sound. Gone are the days we were desperate to fill some gaping holes although to be fair we picked a couple of good ones in recent years