Rugby Union | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rugby Union

Agree on Dell Craig. He is definitely better suited to League. Lote is a fantastic Rugby player though. It's a damn shame he's in such a crap side because I reckon he's developed a lot since the World Cup and I don't feel we've really seen what he can do because of what's around him.

TigerGoneNorth said:
Go for the job yourself Queenie!!!!!!!!  :clap

Thanks for that TGN, but I think I am much better equipped (both physically and mentally) to just make snipey sideline comments  ;) ;D !!!

Well, the first round of Super 14 trial games were played over the weekend. I seems to be getting earlier and earleir each year but it is good to see some of the kids who are fighting for a frontline spot get a run.

Results:-
Cheetahs d Force         29 - 19
Waratahs d Brumbies   21 - 5
Reds d Blues                 29 - 14

Next week:- Hurricanes v Brumbies; Force v Crusaders; Waratahs v Blues

Any ideas why the practise match is being played in Victoria mb ?

Would have thought they would want to raise the profile in WA

It's all gone quiet 'round here....

The first round of Six Nations matches were played on the weekend:

England 47 Wales 13
Ireland 26 Italy 16
Scotland 20 France 16

England ran all over the Welsh after half-time. Ireland were disappointing but it sounds like the Italians were very well organised. The big shock was Scotland, seemingly in terminal decline, who stunned championship favourites France at Murrayfield.

Yeah Super 14 ;D !!!

Well after watching what had to have been the one of the ugliest, most hideously, gut-wrenching abominations of a rugby match last night I am totally thrilled to say that my beloved 'Tahs have finally won north of the border.....albiet very unconvincingly!!!

The 16-12 scoreline reflected the absolutely complete lack of cohesive input either side had, although NSW did have a few excellent attacking breaks (thanks to Lote Tuqiri) and one try (Rocky Elsom), their kicking game and line outs were embarrassing and very cringe worthy.

I hope that we never see either a game plan or an execution (no where near enough territory gained from the kicks - missed Mat Rogers desperately) like that again for the rest of the season, or we are going to get totally eaten alive by the better teams. The coaching didn't seem to match the team that was on the paddock.

That being said it was one of the toughest and hardest fought games I have seen in a long while, with spot fires breaking out all over the park for the entire 80 minutes and more blood bins than I think I have ever seen. There was no physical compromising just crap play.

As I said we missed Mat Rogers like nothing else and I hope that he will be back in the next couple of weeks (back training now and should go to South Africa) because he is extremely important and our line out.....never mind I can't write what I thought of that completely debacle :p !!!

The Brumbies had a good win against the Force, which they always should have done but I honestly believe that the Force will be a good side once they have played a few games as a team. Although they have a few injuries that may cause some concern over the next month or so.

The 25-10 scoreline was good for the Brumbies who were probably a little underdone as well, especially given the fact that Gregan, Larkham and Giteau had not played since the European tour last year and two of the three had had surgery.

Other results include the upset of the Blues by the Hurricanes 37-19, Sharks defeated the Chiefs 30-21, Bulls beat other newcomers, the Cheetahs in a very flattering scoreline 30-18, the Crusaders started their season (somewhat better than usual) with a crushing win over the Highlanders 38-15 and in a match I know nothing about the Stormers beat the Cats 23-12.

TC said:
Any ideas why the practise match is being played in Victoria mb ?

Would have thought they would want to raise the profile in WA

Just quickly, the practice match that was played in Melbourne was a home game for the Crusaders not the Force and they chose to play there and not in Christchurch because over the next few seasons Melbourne is going to be used as a home away from home for the 'Saders.

When they are playing the Australian teams in Australia they will base themselves in Melbourne for the week prior to the match to train. Like the All Blacks did prior to the World Cup in 2003. Apparently they have some kind of deal with (of all people) Collingwood, to use the Lexus Centre.

Six Nations update: France bounced back from their shock loss to Scotland to down Ireland 43-31 at the Stade de France. However at one stage they led 43-3, they had to sweat near the end as Ireland ran in four tries in eleven minutes to trim the deficit to twelve points. Unfortunately the men in green couldn't manage to score again in the last ten minutes.

In Rome, England duly beat Italy 31-16 but the Italians again won plaudits for their improvement.

Tonight is Wales v. Scotland in Cardiff.

Ready said:
Six Nations update: France bounced back from their shock loss to Scotland to down Ireland 43-31 at the Stade de France. However at one stage they led 43-3, they had to sweat near the end as Ireland ran in four tries in eleven minutes to trim the deficit to twelve points. Unfortunately the men in green couldn't manage to score again in the last ten minutes.

Weren't helped by O'Driscoll going off injured with 5 to go as the Irish were rolling. That removed any hope.

This thread had died a quiet death, and after the game against the Irish this morning and recent form, look for it to sink quickly again! :help

I was there and Dublin really turned the weather on for me too. There was a brilliant atmosphere, the Irish crowd are great. They really get behind their team without giving any sense of trying to stick it up the opposition (their team did that quite fine all by themselves). Some of the singing was just outstanding.

Lansdowne Road is getting redeveloped after the next game against the Pacific Islanders which is kind of a shame. It's a real throw back to the past and even has a train running literally through the West Stand. Our seats rumbled intermittently during the game (and no it wasn't the pies. :-\ ) each time a train went through. The entry gates were thin doors that surely half the crowd these days would struggle to fit through, the seats were bare wooden boards seperated by metal dividers (not quite arm rests) and my half time trip to the Mens reminded me of the toilets at Punt Road 30 years ago. I'm glad I was wearing my deck shoes. They had a brass band as pre game entertainment and the most low key no bull team entrance I've seen in years. A contrast to the fireworks and crap they have at Twickenham now (although the Poms have to do something to entertain the crowd these days I guess.

As for the game - not much to say about the Wallabies - they were pretty ordinary. The only "excuse" is the weather was absolutely horrible. God knows how those at the exposed ends managed to last the game.

I think the thread died a death when Queen C retired from the site. Hope you're well Queenie!

TigerGoneNorth,

Thanks for the report...with the way the weather was, I imagine a few people in the crowd were wishing they had a stadium like the Millennium in Cardiff.
When Lansdowne is redeveloped, then it might be just as good.

The Wallabies just aren't the same anymore since McQueen/Eales finished up....they started to go downhill as time went on under Eddie Jones, and so far under Connolly, it isn't looking that flash either.

Big game for me this weekend, cause we play Scotland, and I've got a bet going with a sheila I know over there...shei'll go to the game, and she's been giving me stick about the Wallabies poor tour so far, and the Scots have won their last two (against Romania and Pacific-Islands).

Hopefully the Wallabies will want to finish the tour on a high...they better...or I won't hear the end of it! :-\

Are you going up north to see it mate?

For all it's flaws though the atmosphere in the place was to quote Brooce, special. It'll be a shame to see it go.

The Wallabies have only had the one dud. The game against Wales while a draw was a great game of rugby and they beat Italy (weren't impressive but they won without much problem). Even the Irish game should be put into context. Ireland are, I reckon, the second best team in the world at the moment and on their dung heap in abysmal conditions we were always going to struggle.

I'd take us to beat Scotland on balance but it should be pretty tight, the Scots aren't the rubbish they were a couple of seasons ago.

I'm not going mate, I've been doing a bit of travel and having been to the Irish game last week I'll be happy staying up to watch the Ashes and then catch the Scotland game on the TV.

Hopefully the Wallabies will show some fighting spirit like the 'Roos did tonight against the Kiwis....they have to...they must....

....and they didn't let me down! 8)

44-15 win.

I was a bit uneasy when we were 10-0 down after 5 minutes....but how good are Larkham and Latham? :clap

Comfortable win in the end...and I can breathe easy and brag again! ;)

Liverpool said:
....and they didn't let me down!  8)

44-15 win.

I was a bit uneasy when we were 10-0 down after 5 minutes....but how good are Larkham and Latham?  :clap

Comfortable win in the end...and I can breathe easy and brag again!  ;)
Beating Scotland is nothing to get excited about.Overall a poor tour by the Wallabies with still most questions unanswered.

mb64 said:
Liverpool said:
....and they didn't let me down! 8)

44-15 win.

I was a bit uneasy when we were 10-0 down after 5 minutes....but how good are Larkham and Latham? :clap

Comfortable win in the end...and I can breathe easy and brag again! ;)
Beating Scotland is nothing to get excited about.Overall a poor tour by the Wallabies with still most questions unanswered.

What you say is true...but it was "exciting" for me, for personal reasons more than anything.

I'll be looking forward to the new Super 15s starting from February next year.

15 teams (5 from Sth Africa, 5 from Aust and 5 from NZ) playing 16 games rather than 18 games for some reason.

1 team plays other 4 in it's conference twice for 8 games, and then plays 4 of the 5 teams in the other two conferences once. They miss out on playing 2 teams for the whole season.

Go Melbourne Rebels.

TigerForce said:
I'll be looking forward to the new Super 15s starting from February next year.

15 teams (5 from Sth Africa, 5 from Aust and 5 from NZ) playing 16 games rather than 18 games for some reason.

1 team plays other 4 in it's conference twice for 8 games, and then plays 4 of the 5 teams in the other two conferences once. They miss out on playing 2 teams for the whole season.

Go Melbourne Rebels.

Yep I'm a big Union fan so I'm absolutely stoked at the news and will be doing whatever I can to support the new team.

I traditionally gone for The QLD Reds (duds) as i go for Maroons in League State of Origin.

Will keep an eye on the rebels too although Ra Ra not really my game its all penalty goals now and pretty boring.