Rugby Union | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rugby Union

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
craig said:
I traditionally gone for The QLD Reds (duds) as i go for Maroons in League State of Origin.

Will keep an eye on the rebels too although Ra Ra not really my game its all penalty goals now and pretty boring.

Union's more exciting to watch craigo....what are you saying mate? ;D

No stop-starts.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
craig said:
Dont like the 5 cuddles and a kick comp TF heh heh heh
League also has the cuddles.

What about the pile ups when the ball's in motion? ;D

It'll be good to see 2 rugby codes in the same stadium through winter.

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
I was personally pumped to get the confirmation that we (Melbourne) will finally be getting a rugby side!! I love the game despite being born & bred in Melb. The brutality & finese required to play have always enticed me to the game probably courtesy of Horan & Campese when i was a teenager. Cant say i like league very much, far too repetative although i reckon i would watch billy slater any day (wish he'd swtich to rugby).

I reckon the rebels should make a play for Stirling Mortlock (my current fav to the point where i intend to name my 1st son Stirling) or Rocky Elsom being a victorian to get some headlines for our 1st few seasons. For some reason i also like Tatafu Polota-Nau, just seekms a real likable bloke.

I intend to sign up straight away & hope to see some of you at a game. GO REBELS!!

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
mb64 said:
I don't think so,will be interesting to see what sort of crowd the Rebels pull in.

Will get excellent crowds, kiwi, islanders etc will be all over it, even if they may not always be supporting the home team. Storm may be supported a little better while they are so dominant but id think rebels will surpoass them in time.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
AZZAMOOT said:
Will get excellent crowds, kiwi, islanders etc will be all over it, even if they may not always be supporting the home team. Storm may be supported a little better while they are so dominant but id think rebels will surpoass them in time.
15,000?

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
mb64 said:

Probably 15,000 or so for games against SA & NZ teams, a bit higher if playing crusaders or blues i reckon but id expect a sell out against other Australian teams in particular waratahs & brumbies. You think thats ambitious?

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
They could barely finish a sentence let alone a successful attacking move til the last minute anyway, so frustrating! The wallabies totally outplayed the scots but couldnt put the score on the board.

Im gonna watch the reply just to check if Giteau was kicking in his thongs :help

I miss Striling!

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
AZZAMOOT said:
They could barely finish a sentence let alone a successful attacking move til the last minute anyway, so frustrating! The wallabies totally outplayed the scots but couldnt put the score on the board.

Im gonna watch the reply just to check if Giteau was kicking in his thongs :help

I miss Striling!
Scots must have defended well

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
mb64 said:
Scots must have defended well
From what I watched they didn't have too. We played the dumbest attacking football and it's getting worse every game. Our League backline would have notched up 60 points.

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
Hayfever said:
From what I watched they didn't have too. We played the dumbest attacking football and it's getting worse every game. Our League backline would have notched up 60 points.

A league backline wouldve been confused once consecutive laterall passes occured ;D We were held up twice over the line & had another try disallowed with a line ball forward pass call.

But how id love to see billy in a wallabies jumper.

Probably did sell the scots a bit short defensively, they continually put their bodies on the line & were rewarded with many turnovers (although we made it far too easy at times). Hopefully some good will come of it for the scots in a boost to their confidence & future performances.

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
AZZAMOOT said:
A league backline wouldve been confused once consecutive laterall passes occured ;D We were held up twice over the line & had another try disallowed with a line ball forward pass call.

But how id love to see billy in a wallabies jumper.

Probably did sell the scots a bit short defensively, they continually put their bodies on the line & were rewarded with many turnovers (although we made it far too easy at times). Hopefully some good will come of it for the scots in a boost to their confidence & future performances
Line ball in Union is only half a metre forward...... I agree normally they'd let that one go ;)

What frustrated the hell out of me was when we were attacking late with a double overlap. All we needed to do was pass, or hold the ball for another phase. Certain try on, yet player panic kicks and opposition gets possession straight back. They do that time after time. Our general kicking game these days is pathetic.

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
Anyone watch the test against Wales? It had plenty of what brought me to love the game & more of what takes it away. The physical contest & aggresive play from the wallabies was great to watch in the 1st half with the backline putting on, & finishing, a few great plays incl a ripper grubber from Giteau (he had his weetbix this week).

And then...from nowhere the 1st 10-12 mins of the 2nd half looked more like 2 players practicing lob shots during a warm up at the aust open tennis. Relentless high kick to kick in the midfield. The odd kick can have tremendous tactical benefits i understand but that was tough to watch & had me screaming for someone to just bloody run the ball.

Pocock may be a ripper in the making but George Smith is amazing! He must have a twin out there with him to get to so many contests & win back the ball. Oh & how we have to get Rock Elsom for the rebels! Am i the only one that thinks he looks like a madman when running with the ball? Runs with a look that if you dare tackle me ill rip your head off!

In saying that the welsh attack never looked like scoring other than the odd penalty kick. Which makes the wraps on our excellent defensive effort potentially a bit premature. Bring on 2010 tri nations!

KiwiTig

Tiger Superstar
Dec 27, 2007
Williamstown
AZZAMOOT said:
Anyone watch the test against Wales? It had plenty of what brought me to love the game & more of what takes it away. The physical contest & aggresive play from the wallabies was great to watch in the 1st half with the backline putting on, & finishing, a few great plays incl a ripper grubber from Giteau (he had his weetbix this week).

And then...from nowhere the 1st 10-12 mins of the 2nd half looked more like 2 players practicing lob shots during a warm up at the aust open tennis. Relentless high kick to kick in the midfield. The odd kick can have tremendous tactical benefits i understand but that was tough to watch & had me screaming for someone to just bloody run the ball.

Pocock may be a ripper in the making but George Smith is amazing! He must have a twin out there with him to get to so many contests & win back the ball. Oh & how we have to get Rock Elsom for the rebels! Am i the only one that thinks he looks like a madman when running with the ball? Runs with a look that if you dare tackle me ill rip your head off!

In saying that the welsh attack never looked like scoring other than the odd penalty kick. Which makes the wraps on our excellent defensive effort potentially a bit premature. Bring on 2010 tri nations!

If you get a chance watch the All Blacks/French game - It was an absolute ripper. The way it should be played.

and of course the right team won! ;D

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I notice in the paper that Stirling Mortlock has signed with the Rebels. Although there are questions marks over his body holding up, from a leadership and team culture perspective this is another outstanding signing for the Rebels.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
IanG said:
I notice in the paper that Stirling Mortlock has signed with the Rebels. Although there are questions marks over his body holding up, from a leadership and team culture perspective this is another outstanding signing for the Rebels.
Agree,quality signing despite his age