Saddam sentenced to the old noose and drop | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Saddam sentenced to the old noose and drop

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
jb03 said:
LidsandBling said:
mb64 said:
Putting aside Howard & Bush,Saddam is a mass murderer & to suggest any different is crazy.Hang the prick!

for your average everyday iraqi bloke and his family do you reckon iraq is a better place to live now or pre-coalition invasion when saddam was still ruling with an iron fist?

Looked to be some wild celebrations shown on TV. I would think a better place and that is reading bias views from both sides. (I'm sure East Germany wasn't much fun to live in immediately after Hitlers demise either.)

Just the fact that they now compete in the Olympics is a symbol of new found freedom to me.

to coin one of your phrases jb, i am usually a fan, but you've got to be kidding?

before the second coalition invasion iraq had never seen an act of terrorism within its borders in its history ever, excluding the acts of terrorism by the coalition

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
LidsandBling said:
to coin one of your phrases jb, i am usually a fan, but you've got to be kidding?

before the second coalition invasion iraq had never seen an act of terrorism within its borders in its history ever, excluding the acts of terrorism by the coalition
I would actually term what Saddam did on a regular basis to his own people as acts of terrorism. The biggest mistake the US made in the whole affair was not killing Hussein when they found him in his spiderhole. The very fact that they didn't actually makes them to look far less black than many like to paint them. How easy would it have been for the soldiers that found Hussein to fire a round into his head and then say "We had to, he fired on us first."?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
LidsandBling said:
jb03 said:
LidsandBling said:
mb64 said:
Putting aside Howard & Bush,Saddam is a mass murderer & to suggest any different is crazy.Hang the prick!

for your average everyday iraqi bloke and his family do you reckon iraq is a better place to live now or pre-coalition invasion when saddam was still ruling with an iron fist?

Looked to be some wild celebrations shown on TV.  I would think a better place and that is reading bias views from both sides. (I'm sure East Germany wasn't much fun to live in immediately after Hitlers demise either.)

Just the fact that they now compete in the Olympics is a symbol of new found freedom to me.

l&b I'm not sure your post relates to what I posted.  Notwithstanding comments regarding acts of terrorism, the question was is Iraq a better place to live.  I think it probably is but that is only an opinion.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
jb03 said:
LidsandBling said:
jb03 said:
LidsandBling said:
mb64 said:

Looked to be some wild celebrations shown on TV.  I would think a better place and that is reading bias views from both sides. (I'm sure East Germany wasn't much fun to live in immediately after Hitlers demise either.)

l&b I'm not sure your post relates to what I posted.  Notwithstanding comments regarding acts of terrorism, the question was is Iraq a better place to live.  I think it probably is but that is only an opinion.
Tend to agree which is not a great reflection of life under Saddam.

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
jb03 said:
LidsandBling said:
jb03 said:
LidsandBling said:
mb64 said:

Looked to be some wild celebrations shown on TV. I would think a better place and that is reading bias views from both sides. (I'm sure East Germany wasn't much fun to live in immediately after Hitlers demise either.)

l&b I'm not sure your post relates to what I posted. Notwithstanding comments regarding acts of terrorism, the question was is Iraq a better place to live. I think it probably is but that is only an opinion.

i only used the terrorism as an example of everday life in iraq these days. sure saddam was an evil prick and murdered kurds ( he deserves to be hung ) but average iraqis knew where they stood and never feared walking the streets. its pretty ordinary over there at the moment. a very sad state of affairs indeed. i guess what im trying to say is that even though you had a *smile* life under saddam you at least had a life.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Saddam tells all Iraqis to settle their differences
By Thair Shaikh
Published: 08 November 2006
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article1962473.ece

A subdued Saddam Hussein pleaded for forgiveness and reconciliation as he appeared in court on charges of genocide.

In a stark contrast to his defiance on Sunday, when he was sentenced to death by hanging, Saddam cited references to the Prophet Mohamed and to Jesus, whom he said had asked for forgiveness for those who opposed them. "I call on all Iraqis, Arabs and Kurds to forgive, reconcile and shake hands," he said.

Saddam calls on Arabs, Kurds to forgive each otherBy Thibauld Malterre in Baghdad
November 08, 2006 03:00am
Article from: Agence France-Presse
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20721173-401,00.html

OUSTED dictator Saddam Hussein called on all Iraqis to unite and "forgive" each other as he appeared in court to face genocide charges after being condemned to death in a separate trial.

“I call on all Iraqis, Arabs and Kurds, to forgive, reconcile and shake hands,” Saddam said in the court after he questioned a witness who testified against him in an ongoing genocide trial.

This man had the power to bring lasting peace to his region, yet only wishes for it when it doesn't count. What a waste.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Saddam was on Rove last night being interviewed by Peter Hillier.

When saddam was asked if he had any regrets he said 'i wish i hadn't bought in the death penalty'

So he's still got his sense of humour.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
LidsandBling said:
i only used the terrorism as an example of everday life in iraq these days. sure saddam was an evil prick and murdered kurds ( he deserves to be hung ) but average iraqis knew where they stood and never feared walking the streets. its pretty ordinary over there at the moment. a very sad state of affairs indeed. i guess what im trying to say is that even though you had a sh!t life under saddam you at least had a life.
I suppose these were the same streets that you could walk without fear as long as you weren't a Kurd or Shiite or hadn't indavertently broken one of Saddam's ever changing laws. Otherwise you could expecto be picked up by the secret police and tortured and killed for the hell of it. I read an account today of one Iraqi who was a 'guest' of Saddam and was tortured, his crime? He said hello to a relative of one of Saddam's former political opponents. Yes, he was a real funster was old Saddam and Iraq was just a barrel of laughs under his rule. The ones causing the trouble today are either disaffected Baathists who want Saddam back, Sunnis who resent losing their place under the sun, foreign jihadists or common criminals who use everything as a smokescreen for their activities. The oft repeated comment is that they want the US and other foreign forces to leave and no doubt they do, in time the US and their allies will leave the country. I wonder what the excuse will be when that happens and the violence continues.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
or if you were a female who happened to take Uday Hussein's eye, or that of his henchmen, and snatched of the streets to never to be seen again.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
I could do a (as LidsBling calls it:) a "muckraking" and find link after link of barbaric and bloody things Hussein and his sons committed on people, but I think you should just watch the movie "Voices of Iraq":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_of_Iraq

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430745/

....where they distributed handheld video cameras to Iraqis, to tell about their lives, the country, etc....its pretty interesting.

However, I think after you have watched it, you might have a different view as to the punishment that should be handed out to Hussein.
It's nearly a pity, that his sons got off so lightly, as I think they are worse than Saddam, times 100...in my opinion.

RemoteTiger said:
He may have - he probably did do all the nasties that we have been told - but George Bush junior, Tony Blair and our own John Howard are doing similar things now with our troops in Iraq - killing thousands - George Bush has incarcerated people without trial or being charged - this is against the very principles our troops are fighting for over there - Freedom.

RemoteTiger,
It annoys me when people say comments like this, but do not keep going and denounce the thousands of innocent civilians killed from Yemeni, Saudi, Syrian, and Iranian suicide bomb attacks within Iraq.
Why didn't you mention this also?
Aren't these people accountable also, or we don't mention them, because they aren't American?
If you want to have a crack about civilian deaths, and it upsets you that much.....then the insurgents from other Islamic nations should top your list, as they have killed far more civilians than your George Bushs, Tony Blairs, and John Howards have combined.

Other countries (like Syria and Iran especially) do not want the Iraq model to succeed, as a happy, democratic, and thriving Iraq might plant the seed in their civilians of these countries who could rebel against the strict Islamic regimes in power today, wanting a similar lifestyle to that of the Iraqis. This, and the Islamic brainwashing that occurs at such a young age painting anything non-Islam as "evil", are the main reasons why we have such a large number of insurgents in Iraq, with the main casualties of them being the Iraqi civilians.

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Tygrys said:
Also I had no problem with the war launched to get rid of the bastard. Again never going to weep over a expansionist mass murderer getting his just desserts and being removed from the international stage. I don't however support the occupation. Trying to civilize an Islamic society and introduce liberal democracy at the point of a gun is never going to work (they're not Swedes or Canadians for God sake). Basically we should be saying to nations such as Iraq - run yourselfs, brutalise your own people if you must, but threaten us or cause us any terrorist violence and we'll make you very, very sorry (and we won't be there to pick up the pieces afterwards).

So what you are effectively saying is that the Yanks should just use their "shock and awe" tactics to remove every global leader that doesn't suit their needs and then walk away to let the country pick up the pieces of a decimated society?

Watch how far that gets you on a global scale..

Absolutely ludicrous comment.

Well if you read my whole post, I also said we should move heaven and earth to find alternative energy sources so we have as little to do with as possible with Middle East, and consequently have as little reason as possible the necessity to remove anyone.

And yes I'm all in favour of first strikes if it saves 'our' peoples lives. History is replete with examples of opportunities to strike first that were ignored because of political expediency and woolly-headed optimism. How different history would have been if Germany had been stopped from remilitarizing the Rhineland or annexing Austria for example. Or conversely where would Israel be now if they hadn't struck first during the six day war.

Anyhow, I don't believe any regime should be removed or any nation attacked simply because we find it brutal or unco-operative. But just say for example one was training and arming Al Queda with weapons of mass destruction (an extreme but not inconceivable scenario) then it's us and or them IMO - and I have no interest for the sake of political correctness to have to wait until we bury countless thousands of dead before we respond.

Also as part of the consequence of going down that road, we should make it clear beforehand to all such nations that not a cent would be paid for their reconstruction or a single life of our serviceman or women risked afterwards to pick up the pieces. Call it part of the deterrent, but in a scenario for example such as the Al Queda one, we would owe them nothing in my opinion (if someone is planning to destroy my home and family and I catch wind of it and destroy theirs first – I don’t owe them recompense to reconstruct and start again IMO).

Again the sooner we find alternates energy sources and the sooner we leave them to their own devices, the happier I will be.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Must say, not happy about capital punishment regardless of who it may be.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
What about Rumsfeld ? Should he get the electric chair ? I'd love to see all that grey hair of his standing up on end. Would put Don King to shame, I'd reckon.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Phantom said:
Must say, not happy about capital punishment regardless of who it may be.
You have to be joking.How could you not want this man dead after all he has done.