Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Only 21 and in second year (with one pre-season) we we sit here BT.

He'll be better again next year at 22.

Will also add it was a telling sign of the hopes the club have, that we extended his contract until end of 2024 (giving him 3 more at the time) before this year even started.

Reactions: 5 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yeah am all chips in on the big fella.

What he's doing now at 206cm in his second year is excellent.

He's starting to one grab his marks, throws his body around, follows up his work, moves well, kicks fine and good below his knees.

But best of all is his mindset. Watched him up close at a couple of huddles at VFL level this year and his leadership and and voice is outstanding. Is confident and demanding of his teammates in a good way. That a great quality in a young and still skinny ruck.

He's 3 to 4 years away from getting near his ceiling, but by then reckon he can be in the top 3 to 4 rucks in the league.
This is amazing Leysy. I have him a long shot to get to 50 games at this stage.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Averaging 12.6 disposals, 27.3 hitouts and 0.7 goals per game in the VFL this year.

Given it’s his second year and he’s still only 21 (or 22 at the start of next year if you prefer), he is tracking very nicely.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
As recently as the Sydney game on the suburban paddock up there, Samson was still having issues holding his space in marking contests. There was a notable incident when he had prime position to mark over a pack, floated across but was falling to the ground by the time the ball arrived. This is a lack of physical confidence. I haven't seen it since, and on the weekend he was physically imposing in a couple of marking contests - one in particular when he just busted the pack apart in his attack on the ball (which he one-grabbed). This was his biggest area for improvement and he is coming along in leaps and bounds.

I'm with Leysy. This guy is our future.

I mentioned in the VFL game day thread we could be seeing our future ruck duo, with Samson and Biggie. Biggie has the leap, athleticism and footy skills that are becoming almost requisite for a second ruck these days. (Although he is also promising as an intercept defender.)

Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
As recently as the Sydney game on the suburban paddock up there, Samson was still having issues holding his space in marking contests. There was a notable incident when he had prime position to mark over a pack, floated across but was falling to the ground by the time the ball arrived. This is a lack of physical confidence. I haven't seen it since, and on the weekend he was physically imposing in a couple of marking contests - one in particular when he just busted the pack apart in his attack on the ball (which he one-grabbed). This was his biggest area for improvement and he is coming along in leaps and bounds.

I'm with Leysy. This guy is our future.

I mentioned in the VFL game day thread we could be seeing our future ruck duo, with Samson and Biggie. Biggie has the leap, athleticism and footy skills that are becoming almost requisite for a second ruck these days. (Although he is also promising as an intercept defender.)
Yeh a 206cm, good mover with good foot skills who can mark - what's not to like? He's the same size as Sldo but more athletic and about 3 years ahead in "football" development.

Biggie looks like he has put some muscle on that frame.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Incurred a mystery concussion that no one knows how he got, is a bean pole and has weird hair.
It’s “Son of Sideshow” for sure

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Incurred a mystery concussion that no one knows how he got, is a bean pole and has weird hair.
It’s “Son of Sideshow” for sure
I saw the hit very briefly on TV it was on the punt road wing and were worried but then were relieved when in the next bit of play the ball rebounded back out of defence and I saw Samson back up and running.
That must have been the incident.

Last edited:

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I saw the hit very briefly on TV it was on the punt road wing and were worried but then we're relieved when in the next bit of play the ball rebounded back out of defence and I saw Samson back up and running.
That must have been the incident.
Was he running around with his arms in the air whilst the ball was up the other end of the ground?