Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Sorry, dont think he is close to ready Smoking.
Wasnt ready when he was selected for his first game, isn't ready still IMO.
Willy are hopeless.
You can’t judge him on that game last year. He should have never played.

He has forward craft. More so than what we dished up yesterday.

Kid is in form. Has been for weeks now.

Reactions: 4 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
You can’t judge him on that game last year. He should have never played.

He has forward craft. More so than what we dished up yesterday.

Kid is in form. Has been for weeks now.
I'm not judging him on last year. or today.
You are right, he is in reasonable form.

but imo he's still a calf. we are carrying too many young players already, too many battered veterans, and too many sore mid range players to chuck in another young calf.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010

but imo he's still a calf. we are carrying too many young players already, too many battered veterans, and too many sore mid range players to chuck in another young calf.
Maybe so , but you pick players in form and he has been for while our ruck combo aren't working and he can.play that forward role better then both.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
18 disposals, 29 hitouts, 8 marks and a lazy 3.2. Was easily BOG.

Developing nicely.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

The battered veterans ie Nank can’t walk let alone compete as a forward option.

Ryan would be a far better option right now even if he is a calf.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
We have different opinions on this one, I get it.
Let's hope he goes well if he gets picked.

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Great signs. Will probably still struggle at the higher level at this stage, but the club must be over the moon with the way he’s progressing.

Reactions: 5 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Willy are 20th on the ladder and away from the wind swept ground didn’t look great

Sampson did look good , is filling out , when he roved that pack and snapped a goal early in the game he did look better than poor Ivan on Friday night
But to be fair to Ivan the pace of the game was way higher and he was having a seriously physical battle with Darcy

The match committee will know how Sampson matches up against Nank Soldo and Balta from scratch matches and training drills , so when it’s time we will see him

I liked the way Sampson was attacking marking contests , there was a constant drizzle so not many contested marks. But he still imposed himself , I thought that was as important as the goals he kicked

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

Soldos form should in no way shape or form be keeping Ryan out of the side ,,,,we’ve made this mistake too often this year

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I'll say it again, hopefully in a better way than i have been saying to date.

IMO:

1. Not only is Ryan individually not physically ready for a full game of AFL against seasoned rucks or backmen from other teams; but
2. With the way we are playing, we cannot afford to carry him should he tire early (which is exactly what will happen), or not be up to it for a full game.

If your team is strong and in good form, instead of being on the edge of collapse due to a number of reasons, you can perhaps afford to carry a young tall who may tire after half time/not contribute much. The other 21 players can get you through.

But if the team is on the edge of survival itself and really struggling already for the full 4 quarters, you'll be risking an even worse performance or more injuries to players trying to compensate.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I'll say it again, hopefully in a better way than i have been saying to date.

IMO:

1. Not only is Ryan individually not physically ready for a full game of AFL against seasoned rucks or backmen from other teams; but
2. With the way we are playing, we cannot afford to carry him should he tire early (which is exactly what will happen), or not be up to it for a full game.

If your team is strong and in good form, instead of being on the edge of collapse due to a number of reasons, you can perhaps afford to carry a young tall who may tire after half time/not contribute much. The other 21 players can get you through.

But if the team is on the edge of survival itself and really struggling already for the full 4 quarters, you'll be risking an even worse performance or more injuries to players trying to compensate.
I agree with the logic here.

But last week we carried Nank through a whole game, not just the last quarter.

If we want to play two ruckman, and have one play mostly forward, we should pick Ryan and Soldo. If we want a lone Ruckman, at the moment it should be Soldo, with Balta pinch hitting.

Reactions: 2 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
You are right re: carrying Nank. It ended up that way.

But we will have Lynch back to play forward. That's why we wont need Ryan.
Soldo will ruck 70% and Balta pinch hit.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not sure what to make of Delilah as a footballer, bloke somehow just seems to play boring as bat *smile* footy. Never flustered, quietly composed, minimal agro, or manic urgency, just shuffles along doing his thing n somehow gets the job done.
Competes well in the ruck, takes marks n kicks goals at full forward, got some decent small ground capability, seems to cover the ground well keeps appearing around the contests at both ends of the ground, gets free kicks.

Watched the VFL stream a few times this season n he's constantly creating an opportunity n a contest, might not have a big impact at seniors just yet reckon he could simply be a slow burn gradual build a career type player. But, I'm thinking we should forget about that first game where he was chucked off a cliff n start his education at senior level over the next few weeks. Think we're gunna need him a fair bit next year.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
You are right re: carrying Nank. It ended up that way.

But we will have Lynch back to play forward. That's why we wont need Ryan.
Soldo will ruck 70% and Balta pinch hit.
Lynch is irrelevant to this conversation. With him back it will just mean Balta shuffles down back.
Hardwick wants two rucks. The second ruck plays minimal game time. This was Soldo. But with Nank now cooked, there is no reason why Ryan couldn’t come in as that second ruck. Gives Nank a few weeks to recover. It was clear from Fridays game that Soldo will be our number 1 ruck moving forward.