Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Lose to the Bears and he should play AFL the remainder of the season, would be great for his development.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks for all the suggestions, especially @MD Jazz and @spook.

But when the man with over 73,000 posts gives the green light - You have to go with it.

Sampilands it is!

Hopefully a 4 x All Australian like his (half) namesake as well ha!!!
Listen, pal. I don't know who you think you are, but I'm the Master of Nicknames around these here parts. Does Tarzan need a nickname? Does Zorro? Does Flash Gordon? Conan? Hercules?!!?!

Actually, that's the only nickname I will abide for Samson - Hercules - and only if you say it while clapping a la the mum in The Nutty Professor:

You do that at a game and I will consent to you calling him Hercules. But only - and always - like that.

Otherwise, Samson it is.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
As recently as the Sydney game on the suburban paddock up there, Samson was still having issues holding his space in marking contests. There was a notable incident when he had prime position to mark over a pack, floated across but was falling to the ground by the time the ball arrived. This is a lack of physical confidence. I haven't seen it since, and on the weekend he was physically imposing in a couple of marking contests - one in particular when he just busted the pack apart in his attack on the ball (which he one-grabbed). This was his biggest area for improvement and he is coming along in leaps and bounds.

I'm with Leysy. This guy is our future.

I mentioned in the VFL game day thread we could be seeing our future ruck duo, with Samson and Biggie. Biggie has the leap, athleticism and footy skills that are becoming almost requisite for a second ruck these days. (Although he is also promising as an intercept defender.)
Providing all of Biggy Colina & Ryan develop as wished you would be thinking a combination with all 3 makes a very formidable rucking combination.

Biggy can Ruck in defence , Ryan can ruck in the foward line when required and Colina the big Giant similar to sandilands but more athletic.

Doesnt look too good for Soldo in 2 years

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Providing all of Biggy Colina & Ryan develop as wished you would be thinking a combination with all 3 makes a very formidable rucking combination.

Biggy can Ruck in defence , Ryan can ruck in the foward line when required and Colina the big Giant similar to sandilands but more athletic.

Doesnt look too good for Soldo in 2 years
Don't Like your chances
Biggy needs a lot a development
Mate the same
Sampson can play but very laconic in his game
Its a wait and see on all 3.

• Wow

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I would love to see Ryan Samson get a game this week- not based on his 5 goals against the Northern Football League team on Sunday, but based on his form across the year, and the fact he could be a legitimate forward option, while being a strong back up ruck.
Miller is ok, but Samson could be better, a lot better, and there is only 1 way to find out.
Can we do it?

Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Interesting idea, Brodders. It would be easy enough to do, just shuffle Miller back to defence to cover for Tigga (doesn't deserve to be dropped).

It might make us a bit top-heavy up forward, but it could give us another weapon too. Samson has improved hugely this season.

I don't mind it.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
For those who haven't seen the Preston game it was a suburban game in which Ryan played key forward and Ivvy mainly rucked.

Samson Ryan is too tall and too good for the VFA. He can't get a matchup and it's not helping him. He's willowy, bends in contact a lot rather than owning the space. It's basketbally. It works in that game and can work in football at times.

He's not a pack marking type. Lead. Find the hole. Somebody referred to him as elegant recently. He's much more that than a packbuster.

On the one hand he can't be tested at VFA level. On the other there are questions about whether his current style will stand up at AFL level. (Raised by posters above and fairly.)

We've had huge ruck problems for about six weeks now. So we haven't been able to give Ryan a cuddle in the ones. Oh, and we've been playing elimination finals every week. And Ryan was concussed a fortnight ago.

The ducks have not lined up so far in 2022.

I'm sure Ryan will feature in the preseason games and probably early season 2023. He will get a chance and a preseason based on his playing senior football in 2023.

Ryan did get one matchup on the younger and less seasoned prospect Toby Conway and each did well. Ryan too good on the day. Even though Conway was not in line for senior selection prior to his injury Neale has since played ones, albeit as a sub. And IMO Ryan has a bit on Neale at this stage.

He's gotta be in the mix.

Reactions: 6 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Interesting idea, Brodders. It would be easy enough to do, just shuffle Miller back to defence to cover for Tigga (doesn't deserve to be dropped).

It might make us a bit top-heavy up forward, but it could give us another weapon too. Samson has improved hugely this season.

I don't mind it.
Or rest Jack?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I would love to see Ryan Samson get a game this week- not based on his 5 goals against the Northern Football League team on Sunday, but based on his form across the year, and the fact he could be a legitimate forward option, while being a strong back up ruck.
Miller is ok, but Samson could be better, a lot better, and there is only 1 way to find out.
Can we do it?
I don't think we'll mess with a successful combination at this point. Could have a reverse impact too.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Richmond VFL v Northern Pissants.

Samson Ryan (18 disposals, 12 marks, 13 hit-outs, five goals)

"I thought the last game he played was his best game for the club, and he bettered that effort once again. He was outstanding on the weekend, he took three contested marks, hit the scoreboard heavily and his hands were extremely strong. He made the most of his advantage in aerial contests throughout the day."

Reactions: 4 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I get the sense the club are very bullish. Can't see him getting a go this season for the reasons Jack has stated above, but I'm interested to see if he can force his way into the mix in 2023.

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Would be staggered if he isn’t featuring heavily in 2023 in the seniors.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I don't think we'll mess with a successful combination at this point. Could have a reverse impact too.
i get that, but Miller has been 2nd ruck the last 6 quarters. On Saturday he had 7 disposals, while Nank (who supposedly cant run or jump) had 29. There is still plenty of room for improvement in our 2nd ruck position. I wonder if Ryan can provide that improvement.

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Tracking very nicely. No need to rush him. Another pre-season will do him wonders to further build to AFL strength levels