Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Not ideal if you have little impact as a tall when it rains. It rains a lot in Melbourne..
Samson shows some great traits & real promise but his challenge right now is how he's going to get picked every week regardless of the conditions.
It will be a real shame if he's left out of the side this week but can't really blame the footy dept. if they do given the forecast..

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Not ideal if you have little impact as a tall when it rains. It rains a lot in Melbourne..
Samson shows some great traits & real promise but his challenge right now is how he's going to get picked every week regardless of the conditions.
It will be a real shame if he's left out of the side this week but can't really blame the footy dept. if they do given the forecast..
Was a horror night for our tall forwards.

Ugly conditions and slow ball coming in.

Jack and Tom had 6 @ 7 possessions respectively and a total of four marks between them.

They had no influence so extra difficult for a 206cm 22 year old who was late to the sport

He'll be fine. Graph miles ahead of the curve.

Reactions: 8 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
In some ways I thought Ryan looked better Friday than he did against the Crows. Obviously the goals werent there, but against the Crows he was moved off the ball very easily numerous times, but this week he held his ground, and even moved his opponent at times. Good signs I reckon.

Reactions: 4 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Took front position, held front position deep inside 50. Big development. Screened for TJL nicely.

FWIW TJL looked to be labouring in the first half but may have loosened up later in the game. And Lynch screened for Samson at times. Notwithstanding this Samson was able to find front position a couple of times in the first half.

Finding and holding front position is everything for Samson at this stage.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
In some ways I thought Ryan looked better Friday than he did against the Crows. Obviously the goals werent there, but against the Crows he was moved off the ball very easily numerous times, but this week he held his ground, and even moved his opponent at times. Good signs I reckon.
Yes his attack on the ball is there. He's leaping hard at the footy with intent. That gets a big tick.
In those conditions all he needs to do is get to as many contests as he can & bring the ball to ground where possible. The number of contests he influences is the key. 3 tall forwards though? At HT against the Pies they had a handful of touches between them. In those conditions it's a selection mistake. Cumberland's influence as the sub highlighted the error. Selection arguably cost us the match.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Dimma in his presser today said that we are grooming Samson more as a key forward rather than as a ruckman. We like what Samson brings in that part of game (the conditions didn't help him last week).

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I will put my head above the parapet and say what little I have seen of Ryan is see glimpses of the late lamented Tyrone V. some good and some bad or disinterest. Hopefully my pessimism is wrong

Last edited:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Dimma in his presser today said that we are grooming Samson more as a key forward rather than as a ruckman. We like what Samson brings in that part of game (the conditions didn't help him last week).
Only thing will conditions help this week?

Maybe Jane Bun will get forecast right :)

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Big call him playing this weekend. Can’t see the weather helping him in anyway.

What I need to see from Ryan is he takes front position. Too many times this year our key forwards have been playing from behind. Especially Jack.

Go get them Ryan.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Big call him playing this weekend. Can’t see the weather helping him in anyway.

What I need to see from Ryan is he takes front position. Too many times this year our key forwards have been playing from behind. Especially Jack.

Go get them Ryan.
He gets to play tommorow
In these conditions.
Hardwick might need a break

Reactions: 1 user