Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it?

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Fact is noone knows.

2-3 years ago we were laughing at Collingwood and they stitched together a premiership side. Maybe we will do the same, maybe we won't but in the end it will be decided by how good our kids are and who we draft and trade for. Collingwood got a gun coach, maybe we have one now?

The glass is half full to me until it isn't and to you it is the other way around. Fair enough because neither of us knows.

I am excited to see how our kids develop this year.
Yeah your right.
None knows. We were laughing at Collingwood on 2021.
But 1 decision to sign McCrae have them winning a flag.
The only difference I see is Penderbury Sidebottom Moore Elliott Crisp are contributing at a high level.
Dacios is unbelievable for a small skinny kid.
Where's Townsend or Stack to put him back in his box?
Fingers crossed mini me Coughlan becomes a quality midfielder and Kosi had an Justin Charles impact.

Reactions: 1 users

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
I see 2024 as a transition year for our team, with a generational change of young players coming in. Some of them will make it, some won't. We might face some injuries to key players, some disappointments from the kids, and some decline from the veterans. But we also have some players who will grow and improve. With so many players out of contract at the end of the year, there will be a lot of changes. Some players will be dropped, some will leave for more money, and some will retire. Next year will also be part of the transition to a new team and a new era. I have no idea where we could finish 6th to 18th.???? New coach and changes it's going to be quite a ride.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Yze said with Gibcus down Back and Lynch up forward both fit we are a chance. He said Melbourne without May would be nothing. Bookends are the Key. Thats why Balta is going forward as backup for Lynch.

Yze has the confidence and feel-good factor up. it will be intriguing to see how we go.

I am excited to see how the boys respond. I am bullish about 2024 barring injuries.

Reactions: 4 users

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Yze said with Gibcus down Back and Lynch up forward both fit we are a chance. He said Melbourne without May would be nothing. Bookends are the Key. Thats why Balta is going forward as backup for Lynch.

Yze has the confidence and feel-good factor up. it will be intriguing to see how we go.

I am excited to see how the boys respond. I am bullish about 2024 barring injuries.
Where did Yze say this?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tony_montana

Tiger Rookie
Aug 15, 2018
Liked what I heard from Balta the other day. Says the kids have really stepped up this preseason, he said it was good to see them taking notes in team meetings and taking ownership. Exciting year coming up to see which kids will step up and take the next step.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I bet the media will say that next years looks better.

They always do. Seems to be around a month or two before the draft there is suddenly a revelation that the upcoming draft is underwhelming and next year looks like a bumper crop . . . until it doesn't look like a bumper crop 12 months later!

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
If we start losing games and we have no hope of making the 8.
I rather finish 2nd or 3rd last.
And then go the biff in games
If you can't beat them knock them out.

Last edited:

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
There's plenty of challenges in the first half of the season.
New coach. A good appointment but it'll likely take time for the playing group to get used to.
Tweak of Game Plan. Ditto.
Loss of Jack and Cotch will feel weird for a while (take once-in-a-generation leader Selwood out of Geelong and they looked decidedly listless).
Key forwards combo will take time: Kosi and Balta new up forward, and Tom's slow return from a long time out.
Key backs combo will take time: Young is relatively young, Grimes is a shadow of his former self, and while Gibcus is a player he will be rusty as, and it's asking a helluva lot for him to step up to a Curnow / McKay etc straight away.
Mids depth is still weak, particularly re speed, and our performance will be dictated by Prestia's fitness and Hopper's improvement on last years poor season.
Given the above, we then have a classic AFL stitch-up to start our season - likely wet humid conditions that the Suns live in, a five day break to the Blooz (followed by three of last years finalists).
So. I have modest expectations of our first half of the year, and expect our back end to show more consistency.
But I am very much looking forward to the dawn of a new era, the opportunities that will present for new young blood to get a decent go under a coach that will instill confidence in them, and of course seeing the GOAT strut his stuff in the year of his 300.
There will be plenty to get excited about in a transition year that will sort the wheat from the chaff of our younger brigade, enabling the club to make some sound list management decisions at year end to support our strong draft hand.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The only thing Im feeling is nausea from all the Flagpies sucking off by the media

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
The only thing Im feeling is nausea from all the Flagpies sucking off by the media
Channel 9 hasn't had a week without showing shiitt from the stinking joint.
From Quaynoor to Markov and Crisp at the races.
I hope they have a shiitt year

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Cocky after just 1 season. Worst vision in the ads is seen Oleg enjoying himself. We shouldn't have let him go. I'll be looking forward to them breaking.

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2007
Richmond will be the new GWS in 2024

Richmond will be the new GWS in 2024​

February 13, 2024

GWS in 2023 was the story of the season on the way to losing an incredible preliminary final to the eventual premier Collingwood.
They won 10 out of their last 11 to make sneak their way to the finals and when they were there, they wrought havoc.
The orange team easily dispensed with St Kilda and then Port Adelaide through their hard-running, attractive brand of footy before losing to Collingwood by a point.
Just the specifics of GWS-ness makes them hard to replicate and anyone who tries to do it will probably be doing a Joker to the original King of Comedy – a pale imitation. But it’s still a worthwhile exercise to see if there’s a bolter somewhere.

I think the answer, resoundingly, is Richmond. And the similarities go beyond Adam Kingsley being a former Richmond disciple.
Obviously, with the 2017, 2019, and 2020 premierships, Richmond has the recent success element of the GWS formula down.
The Tigers also have a Greene-like talisman in Dustin Martin, who had an astonishing year in 2023, kicking 25 goals and being the best offensive 1v1 player in the league among players who had more than one 1v1 situation a game.

All of this while the most prolific fiction writer since L. Ron Hubbard, Sam McClure, was making up yet more fan fiction about his lack of commitment to the Tigers and his impending move to the Gold Coast (McClure graduated at the top of his class at the Never Wrong, Just Early. School of Journalism).

Beyond just ‘Dusty’, Richmond has a smattering of experienced stars who seem to be just exiting their prime, but are still useful players. They’re like the 2023/24 Tampa Bay Bucs, where they are widely written off but if you look at the list there are still a lot of talented players.

The most important of them is the returning Tom Lynch. Since Lynch joined Richmond in 2019, the Tigers are 53-3-29 with him in the lineup. When he kicks 3 or more, Richmond is 30-3-8.

When Lynch plays and plays well, Richmond wins.
The nerds will say correlation does not equal causation. But I’d tell the nerds to get stuffed and watch the games. Richmond is better with Lynch.
After a foot injury, Lynch has started running again and his arms still look terrific in the rain, so we’re off to a good start.

Beyond Lynch, there’s still Vlastuin, Prestia, Baker, Taranto, Short, Rioli, Balta, Hopper, Nankervis, etc. There are still good, experienced players on the list just like GWS had.

But it’s not only them. Some younger players should be able to fill in the margins and spike the enthusiasm of the older heads.

Players like Juddy Clarke, Tyler Sonsie, Tylar Young and even Maurice Rioli may be able to give Richmond that GWS-style spark. The biggest question among the youth of the club is Josh Gibcus. If he’s back fit after shooting goat blood into his hamstring (or whatever they did), and plays as well as he did in his first year, Richmond’s backline (or forward line) should be shored up enough to be a legitimately formidable team.

The question, really, is game style.

Where everyone is trying to get a Richmond type of game going, Richmond went the other way and hired a Melbourne coach. I have no idea whether Adem Yze will be a good coach who tries to keep the Tigers playing a similar style, or whether he will bring Melbourne’s specific form of dysfunction to Richmond. A smaller man would make a Ben Cousins pending time in the offseason at Richmond/Clayton Oliver joke here, but I am not that man.

What I do know about Yze is that he was roundly hailed by journos as a ‘great hire’ which, to me, typically means he was an open source and not much more. What worries me, though, are his plans for the future.

Noah Balta is not a forward. Someone should scream that in his ear.

Maybe play it on a loop like it’s the Richmond theme song at an Adelaide camp.
Playing him forward is like having Sydney Sweeney play an ugly girl. It doesn’t make sense.

He doesn’t understand what to do.
Notwithstanding that, the most likely to pull a GWS in 2024, in my view, is pretty clearly Richmond

Last edited: