Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it?

It's not just about how much you win on the final day, it's also about where you finished in the home and away season. Collingwood were the dominant team last year and flag favourites for most of that time. They finished clear on top of the ladder and then went through undefeated in the finals to win the premiership (and incidentally the only time we managed to finish on top during our four year stretch we couldn't keep it up and got bundled out in the preliminary final). That doesn't sound a Footscrayesque 2016 flash in the pan to me.

But still yeah nah apparently they 'really aren't that great' and in actual fact they 'pinched it', and what's more according to some they aren't even that much better than we are. Seriously, I hate the bastards as much if not more than the next person, but you can hate them and still be honest about where they are and where we are in comparison. And at the moment, we're miles off.
They were a wonky bounce away from losing the prelim, and a high tackle away from losing the granny.

It was two fifty/fifty games that they got lucky in. They had to be good enough to make those games 50/50, and were, but in games like that, it's genuinely a flip of the coin who had their nose in front at the end.

We were an unstoppable force at the end of 2017, and it was a clear sign of what was to come. Collingwood took their chances, but could just as easily have been bundled out in week 1. And the prelim. And the granny.

They rode their luck.

I don't expect to see them in the finals next year.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm just looking forward to it coming back. If you asked be in January 2017 how I felt about the season ahead I'd have not been terribly excited. Anything can happen

Reactions: 6 users
Low expectations. Maybe, just maybe, if everything goes right we can sneak into the 8 but I think we’re a 10-14 side with the distinct possibility of being a bottom 4 side.
Bottom six is where I expect us to finish

I am mildly optimistic. The optimism is that some of the younger brigade can step up and the vets can have a new lease of life for a year or two with a new coach.

We are a chance to make finals, although it would be bottom half of the 8 and wouldn't do much in finals.

I expect us to finish between 7th and 13th and get some experience into the young players while we are at it.

Of course, if the new coach's game plan takes a while to sink in, we have injuries and sub-par seasons from a few players it could all go pear shaped and we end up maybe 16th.

One thing though, we stick with Yze for at least 5 years and even after 5 years we consider not just the position on the ladder but the way we have played, the player development etc. It takes a long time to get to the top and then the stars retire and you have to climb again. Yze strikes me as a good prospect as coach and needs to be given a good chance to succeed.

DS

Reactions: 9 users
There's a lot of negativity on our youth here.
The form they've shown has been under a different Coach in Dimma, who (evidently) did not have much interest in giving players a run. How often were people beating their heads with selections in 2022-2023?

I'm far more optimistic on a few of our young players, we've just been so slow to clean out the relics. If we could have been a bit more brutal with the poor form of our older group we'd have a much better idea of where our young players actually fit.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, except Collingwood really aren't that great.

If we'd fallen across the line in each final in 2017, the people saying that would have had a point.

Our 2017 finals series was one of the most dominant in history.

Collingwood won their 3 finals by a cumulative 12 points.

We won our 3 by a cumulative 135 points, with our worst result being a 6 goal win.

Anyone questioning our side was an idiot.

Collingwood absolutely pinched one, and credit to them, pinching one takes a lot of doing. But this is definitely a flash in the pan premiership. You can do a lot right in close games to get across the line, and they do, but when you play in a PF and GF decided by a cumulative 5 points, you also got very lucky.

By the way, I don't disagree about how much Cotchin and Riewoldt meant to our ability to contest.

But also, Dusty.
I find myself agreeing with you a Lot

Reactions: 1 users
I'm feeling it for 2024. I do believe we'll improve and make finals.

Not much went right last year. Dimma quit out of the blue. Last year we had no Lynch or Gibcus, Prestia wasn't right, Hopper wasn't right, Jack and Cotch needed zimmer frames, Grimes was off too.

This year we have new coaches, tweaked game plan, and (all going to plan) we'll get back Lynch & Gibcus, Hopper is very fit, Dusty is looking VERY good and there's other green shoots with the young'uns.

Still questions over Grimes, and if Prestia can stay on the park.

Last season we won 10 games and a draw. 12 games and a draw made the eight.

I think we'll improve enough to get in the eight.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it' sounds crazy but for me beating the Gold Coast is non negotiable its our ALAMO in the season opener.

Its a statement game beating them after the AFLs contrived Bulls hit set up.

If the Tigers can grab the points against all odds (and against the umps), I doubt I will care much about what happens the following week.

Beating the AFL love child and pissing on Hardwicks parade is up there for me with beating Collingwood.
Nah, have to beat the scum in round 1, non-negotiable for me. Hate Carltoon that much, easily my number 1 loathed side and supporter group.

Reactions: 1 users
This time of year we look for the perfect scenarios to play out and it’s all about every player being fit all year, and playing to their best potential. If that happens, then yes, I’d expect we’d make the eight.

But reality says this never happens, and with a few injuries to key players along the way, the possibility that Lynch battles to get to full form, some kids not stepping up as expected and all this while learning a new game plan, there’s every chance this year is an inevitable fall down the ladder before we rise again.

With 9 draft picks at hand, may not be a bad outcome for the long term rebuild. With that in mind, I’ll be looking for small wins, positive signs and future upside from the kids throughout this season. Wins and losses not so much.

Reactions: 2 users
Correct mate, our list is rubbish.

People on PRE thinking we can make finals is comical really, but every club has supporters that are nuffies.
Nuffies? Bit rough mate.

So being optimistic results in insults? :cool:
Haven't used the ignore feature before. Might have to check that baby out :unsure:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I think we have lots of hard worn denim but now seriously lack in the silk department. Not many teams get over losing champion heart and soul players in the short term.
A graders.
Tommy big question mark. Hate those foot injuries.
Dusty some cameos hopefully.
Shai flashy.
Timmy workmanlike elite.
Daniel.

Where are the next ones? The next gen look well behind several opposition teams.

Outside the eight for 2024 ☹️

I think we have lots of hard worn denim but now seriously lack in the silk department. Not many teams get over losing champion heart and soul players in the short term.
A graders.
Tommy big question mark. Hate those foot injuries.
Dusty some cameos hopefully.
Shai flashy.
Timmy workmanlike elite.
Daniel.

Where are the next ones? The next gen look well behind several opposition teams.

Outside the eight for 2024 ☹️
As an example, who is the silk at Collingwood the best side in it:
Daicos
Degoey
Pendles
Moore?

Anyone else?

Vs our
Lynch
Dusty
Shai
TT

Hmmm…

Ive found over the years, that if you get the denim right silk often rises unlooked for, either from a higher draft spot ie Bolton, Rance, Jack, Rioli? A trade like TT and Prestia or free agency like Lynch.

When you also factor in the following players
Broad
Vlastuin
Short
Baker
Hopper
Balta
Nankervis
Graham
Gibcus as a solid core, I think we’re in better shape than a lot of posters think.

There’ll be some pain if the vast majority of our under 22’s don’t come on simply bc we have so many of them. But how realistic is it to think hardly any of them will come on?

If a reasonable amount realistically progress similarly to Ross ie don’t need to be world beaters just play a role, we’ll have a quick bounce.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Im putting pretty much all my faith in Lynch.
If he returns to his pre injury form we will finish top 8, if he struggles we will probably be 12-14.
If Lynch is right we are a chance to compete deep into September, if a few other things go right as well.

Gut feel bottom 4. Hope im wrong

Bottom four, this year, is not all bad. We would have a top 4 draft pick and assuming Freo also finishes bottom 4 we have two picks early in the second round. Then trade our trade capital to move up the ladder and we may have another draft with 5 picks in the top 30

15 premiership players on the list + Hopper + Taranto + Gibcus + McAuliffe + Tresize + Young.

If the desire is there, we'll be in it up to our eyeballs this year.

15 premiership players on the list + Hopper + Taranto + Gibcus + McAuliffe + Tresize + Young.

If the desire is there, we'll be in it up to our eyeballs this year.
Not sure if we will be up to our eyeballs, but after a few games we should be competitive.

"our list is trash".... these kids haven't had time to play with each other, in an energised team, for YEARS. Imagine being chomping at the bit and then seeing a 33 year old guy you run rings around at training selected before you.

The other piece of the puzzle for me (personal opinion) - Dimma was toxic by the end of it, I have no doubt.

Wait until we actually have these players playing together and getting intuitive with each other before we call the list trash. They haven't even had a chance.

Reactions: 7 users