Season opener | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season opener

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Im glad we dont get the opener, gives melbourne and the Dogs a chance to get reamed by the new rules instead.
Huge GF rematch in front of Block buster crowd of 52k.
*smile* clubs like Footscary and Melbourne don't pull crowds.
50 bucks we get Port or WC away again and we play Brisbane away late in the year.
Guaranteed we will get Port and WCE, Brisbane and Gold Coast away.

Reactions: 1 user

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Im glad we dont get the opener, gives melbourne and the Dogs a chance to get reamed by the new rules instead.

Except there aren't any new rules this year, unless there's been some changes to interpretations that I haven't heard about.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Reckon opening the season is way overblown. No real advantage.

We will still get exactly the same crowd.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Why the *smile* are we playing Carlton every year* in round 1 if it's not even the opening game? Richmond members deserve better than Thursday nights.
Come on Peggy & Brendan get on the phone to the Blues, the media & the AFL & ask the question why this has happened this season?
Time to rattle the cage.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Why the *smile* are we playing Carlton every year* if it's not even the opening game? Come on Peggy & Brendan get on the phone to the Blues, the media & the AFL & ask the question why this has happened this season?
Agree. It's boring!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm sure they will pull some new interpretations of the rules out of their rear ends before the start of the season. At least we won't be the brunt of it with the first game.

Pity they can't shift it t a reasonable night like Friday or even, heaven forbid, play more games on Saturday arvo.

I know the TV rights fund the game but it is never a good strategy to rely too much on one source of income, especially as the media landscape is shifting and we can't be sure the TV rights will remain as valuable as they currently are.

DS

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
I think I read that brad Scott is going to tighten the interpretation regarding time wasting. On the one hand He said he wants to keep the game flowing and then contradicted that immediately by saying that the stand rule was here to stay.
Doesn’t matter if we play first or second, we just know that our CEO’s and our Presidents disagreements with the AFL will not serve us well on game days in relation to umpiring decisions. The AFL don’t like clubs who try to stand up to them.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I think I read that brad Scott is going to tighten the interpretation regarding time wasting. On the one hand He said he wants to keep the game flowing and then contradicted that immediately by saying that the stand rule was here to stay.
Doesn’t matter if we play first or second, we just know that our CEO’s and our Presidents disagreements with the AFL will not serve us well on game days in relation to umpiring decisions. The AFL don’t like clubs who try to stand up to them.
Heard that one, too. It’s not just supporters and the players this bothers, too. It doesn’t make the umpires job any easier.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Melbourne win a flag & suddenly they’re opening the season?
Macca talking it up like it will be the first ever big crowd at the G, big new thing, saviour of the AFL. I hate this clown. We get big crowds like shelling peas, I've never heard him talk us up for anything, let alone our hard-won, century-old huge loyal supporter base and being the big-crowd kings.

Reactions: 4 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Except there aren't any new rules this year, unless there's been some changes to interpretations that I haven't heard about.
Not yet! Don't forget stupid "Stand!' rule was thrown at clubs very close to season '21 commencement.

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
35,000 at the G today to watch a replay on the scoreboard.....what a picnic....
TBH - I can understand why they are putting MELB v BULLDOGS as season opener.

At least when we won in 2020 there were celebrations and interaction.......... (and VIC was really the only place locked down)

2021 will go down as an absolute nothing year with the entire east coast focused on other things.

Imagine if this had been 2017??????

Imagine doing six months jail time for sneaking in to watch your team win????? (after 50 years!!!!!!!)

Give them round one so they can feel important.

After that it's back to poverty club mediocrity...........

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
35,000 at the G today to watch a replay on the scoreboard.....what a picnic....
Cant help thinking we need to have a celebration of 2020 at the G... 100,000 plus tigers. Merchandising dream. And I will relive the memory yet again. It's not too late to organise this.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Season opener: 68k

Tiges v Blues 86k..............................................