Season opener | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season opener

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
That's one of those ones that keeps getting repeated on here until it morphs into a fact (like Steve Hocking admitting he brought the rule in to curb Richmond) but it is not correct Leon.

The clubs had the stand rule before the end of the previous season and it was formally announced about this time of year giving them the whole preseason and trial games to work with it. You might be thinking of the medical sub rule which was brought in on season eve after a request from the coaches.

I've never really warmed to Melbourne and had no real interest in them winning, but after seeing Neale Daniher today I'm really glad they did. I'd have even given them one of our three.
Oh God no!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Gil has claimed it will set records. I’m sure it will. Biggest attendance to a GF replay between the Dogs and the Dees on a Wednesday night. It’s all about how you report on it. You can nearly always spin things to get a positive outcome.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
TBH - I can understand why they are putting MELB v BULLDOGS as season opener.

So can i. but why can’t their game be on Thursday and ours on Friday? i bloody hate Thursday night with a passion.

With Melbourne v Footscray on the Wednesday night, you can bet your bottom dollar we will end up playing Footscray on Thursday in R2 . Will legit fume if that happens.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
That's one of those ones that keeps getting repeated on here until it morphs into a fact (like Steve Hocking admitting he brought the rule in to curb Richmond) but it is not correct Leon.

The clubs had the stand rule before the end of the previous season and it was formally announced about this time of year giving them the whole preseason and trial games to work with it. You might be thinking of the medical sub rule which was brought in on season eve after a request from the coaches.
OK, will take your word for that - probably have connected it to the late intro of the medical sub rule. Just loathe the stupid Stand rule so much though.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
OK, will take your word for that - probably have connected it to the late intro of the medical sub rule. Just loathe the stupid Stand rule so much though.
Yep. Bloody 50 metre penalty for reflexively shifting your foot sideways when your opponent starts moving around n manipulating to set up play. Usually because the maggots are incapable of calling play on until ten seconds after the opposition have taken off.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
So can i. but why can’t their game be on Thursday and ours on Friday? i bloody hate Thursday night with a passion.

With Melbourne v Footscray on the Wednesday night, you can bet your bottom dollar we will end up playing Footscray on Thursday in R2 . Will legit fume if that happens.
I can't see the reason to replay the grand finalists as 1st game of season. Isn't it better to let the rivalry and tension of meeting each other again build for a few weeks into the season? Even considering Gestapo Gil and SHocking couldn't care less about us meeting the Pussies again this season.

Reactions: 2 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I can't see the reason to replay the grand finalists as 1st game of season. Isn't it better to let the rivalry and tension of meeting each other again build for a few weeks into the season?
Probably worried both teams will turn to crap, and meet in round 5 both 0 & 4 to start the year.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I can't see the reason to replay the grand finalists as 1st game of season. Isn't it better to let the rivalry and tension of meeting each other again build for a few weeks into the season? Even considering Gestapo Gil and SHocking couldn't care less about us meeting the Pussies again this season.
I reckon with clubs like Melbourne and Footscray it is probably a good idea to have the GF 1st up. If they leave it for a few rounds and one of them is struggling the game will be insignificant. this way it is a guaranteed "blockbuster", at least as much as it can be.

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I predict it being a complete flop re. Build up and as a game.

• Love

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
such a bad idea having the gf replay in rd 1. it should be saved for about rd 6.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I reckon with clubs like Melbourne and Footscray it is probably a good idea to have the GF 1st up. If they leave it for a few rounds and one of them is struggling the game will be insignificant. this way it is a guaranteed "blockbuster", at least as much as it can be.
You're right. Good to see the AFL's aware of both becoming flops.
I predict it being a complete flop re. Build up and as a game.
As you said. Same here.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Wonder when the RFC will update the membership numbers?
has been showing 80,153 now for weeks.
Hope we break the record again and exceed 100,000 yet again

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
84,000 as of 1st Feb ive read