Short quarters | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Short quarters

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
There's a Jayden joke in this thread somewhere.

I can feel it!

We're playing one Short again, just like last year. Still won the lot!

Pretty sure we play a Short 4-quarters and not just one.

Thankyou, thankyou, here all week... Ouch! :bash

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
I hear ya. They're taking the ****. Woosha was licking his chops considering only 2 players had a full preseason. I guess we can now kamikaze 100% all game.
The unfortunate thing is, in a way, that's not our strength. We're a ****en awesome "grind" team, will 25ish minutes (with time on added) be enough for the game to make it to the grind? I reckon this shorter quarter is a big game changer. They already talk about to many collisions, I can only see break neck footy................. break necks.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Personally I think the AFL are complete *smile* for shortening games during a health crisis but that's just me.
Either play properly or not at all but don't *smile* down our back & tell us it's raining.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
exactly right. I mean you said crowds are bigger than ever, but average crowds are still 2,000 per game lower compared to before expansion. ;)

Fair point, I didn't look that deeply.

It is still an amazingly well supported football code, even with such apparently long games.

DS

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
You blokes are looking at this all wrong. The total game time will end up the same. This pack of greedy bastards will lengthen the ad breaks.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Didnt even really notice.

Think Cotchy liked 'em?

Uncle Gil is a visionary.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
All the commentators on Fox we gushing over the shortened quarters based on one round of football.

Total snow job if I have ever seen one.

Pissing on our leg and telling us it is raining.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Shortened qtrs just the lead in for shorter season, reduced lists in 2021 onwards.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
If it’s gonna happen (shorter quarters) then we might as well have the shortened half time as well.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The bending over continue"s.
*First it was 6-6-6
*Then it was toooo many games on OUR home ground.
*Then it was we shouldn't be allowed to add lynch to our side.
*Now they will shorten the games, so teams can keep up with us.
16 minute qtrs are made for clubs like WC & Collingwood.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I reckon short quarters would disadvantage Richmond, but then again, some of the other changes like 6-6-6 were thought to disadvantage Richmond. We adapted and we will adapt again. The game constantly changes and the good sides know this and look for improvements to stay competitive.

Not that I agree with shorter quarters, I think the idea sucks. Aussie Rules has always had quarters of around half an hour and this should not be changed.

DS

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I didn't mind it in the sense that I didn't think it had any impact on the game or watching it at all.
For all the media projections that it would make the games more explosive and burst attacking instead of a dour grind, there were still a few sides that struggled to find the score board in the new ballistic short version of the game.

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
Shorter quarters will change the team IMO. Can not see 2 genuine ruckman playing.

Actually could work out well for a player like Balta who doesn’t have the tank to play big minutes but can do something special at times and nullify the opposing ruck. At centre bounce at least

Risk is if the number one ruck goes down

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Another Stunt to back door us.
The game time hasn't been a issue for 138 years.
Why change it now?
Our game style relys on wearing teams down.