Short quarters | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Short quarters

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Can anyone explain to me the reason for short quarters? Makes no sense.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Have you bothered reading through the earlier posts within this thread?

So just read through it am none the wiser. The most obvious view point was, so they can squeeze in more games, but when they had the opportunity with melbourne v essendon they didn't. So again, does anyone know why the quarters are shorter?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Can anyone explain to me the reason for short quarters? Makes no sense.

The Shorter game, The more commercials m, The more money for the AFL. All they have done is push away people from watching it.
Melbourne couldn't score in a brothel, seriously Goodwin seems to be moulding into every other Melbourne coach of the last 10 years, absolutely useless.
Shorter qtrs also to help if they need to play 2-3 games in a week.
Player's are pinging hammies like snapping rubber bands.
Premier league still goes for 90'
Plus the play games in quick consession.
Why have 45 on the list if your not prepared to use them.
They should've stayed at 20 minutes plus time on.
And forced clubs to play after 5 days, also forcing the club to use their entire list.
David king kills me, at the start he said the shorter qtrs dicussion, "it will help the stars of the game".
All it has done is blow their tyres.
Dusty no ribs
Fyfe out for 4-6 hammy
Ziebel hammy
Davis hammy
Williams Calf
Lambert punctured right tyre
Out of sports to return AFL has been the worse.
I would watch 4-5 games a week. I auto record and if they're close i just watch the last 5 minute's.
*we could've had 2 X superstar Tigers on the front page, "Bulter destroys tigers" and "Towner downs the little Blues"
*Melbourne, its easier going to the dentist then sitting down watching them. Lazy, unskilled and super slow. Im not sure what pick Pickett was but he needs better hands and lost count how many times he ran past the ball.
*and finally the Hawthorn Bp Hawks. They cannot run out games. 3 weeks in a row. They have stopped in the last qtr. Similar to us of 87.
*I cannot stand Brisbane, what a juicy lucy football club.
Im putting on $500 on Collingwood to slap them over 40 in 2 weeks, easy money

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
So just read through it am none the wiser. The most obvious view point was, so they can squeeze in more games, but when they had the opportunity with melbourne v essendon they didn't. So again, does anyone know why the quarters are shorter?

You don’t have to agree with the decision but heres one argument on the very first page of the thread

Pretty sure that the thinking of reducing game time is to lessen the impact and fatigue on players so that they can potentially play more than 1 game a week. The AFL have in mind if need be playing 3 games within the space of 2 weeks I believe was reported.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Fair enough, but I bet they never play more than a game per week.

We are about a week away from another stage 1 lock down in Victoria.
All clubs in Victoria will be forced to compete the remainder 13 games in Alaska.
The AFL be forced to shut down again.
41 cv case's on Saturday
49 cv case's on Sundey

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Fair enough, but I bet they never play more than a game per week.

You and I can bet what we like - doesn’t matter
If you’re running a multi million dollar competition I can understand being prepared for possibilities
Who was betting 2 weeks ago on a positive test at Essendon FC - COVID not Thymosin Beta-4

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
I'm a bit surprised they didn't schedule the Essendon v Melbourne game for the Wednesday night, I assuming they feel like one game can be slotted in somewhere else with little disruption.

me too. Thats what I thought the whole point of shorter quarters was for, so we can be more flexible in these situations.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm a bit surprised they didn't schedule the Essendon v Melbourne game for the Wednesday night, I assuming they feel like one game can be slotted in somewhere else with little disruption.

I guess they might feel that if we do that for one game only it would disadvantage those teams who have a longer break?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I figured they would have a bye round and fit the extra games in at that point. So far, if we assume they can sort out the fixture, there will still only be 2 teams a game short after this weekend. I reckon the hope is that they will not end up with any team more than one game short and they can fixture everything in a sort of partial bye week. Of course, you schedule that at the end of the season so you know you have all the other games already played.

Logistical nightmare but, even with this disruption, and assuming this week goes ahead as planned, there will still be some leeway as long as neither Melbourne nor Essendon miss another game.

DS

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Whatever the reasons for the shortened game, for me it just doesn't feel right but that is probably because I was used to the normal quarters and now I am not getting my money's worth

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Whatever the reasons for the shortened game, for me it just doesn't feel right but that is probably because I was used to the normal quarters and now I am not getting my money's worth

Yep. I hate it.

Reactions: 1 users