So how do we win our next preeemiership? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

So how do we win our next preeemiership?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We won three preemierships in four years based on a core of elites who we surrounded with players of varying talents who suited a novel game plan.

This core of elites is the key to our next preemiership.

We still have Bones Martin for another couple of years. But Cotchin is on his last legs. We have to nurse Prestia for two more years.

Jack has always struggled with contact injuries, but is otherwise very sound. Edwards was poor in 2021 but still has something to offer. Hopefully more of his best.

Lynch is still an AFL #1 forward, even when a bit lame.

Nankervis and Soldo are not individually elite but together they form a bulletproof ruck division. I would say an elite division.

We will miss Houli. Elite is a very important idea here. I want to contrast it with the idea of mediocre. Elite HBFs can be got or cultivated soon.

Vlastuin is young. Grimes isn't old.

This is the list of elites that got us to three premierships IMO. I could make a case for Lambert, now, it seems, in decline.

We can't win a preemiership with any fewer elites IMO. We need to add more if we are serious.

That's the thing about Tarrant. He is an elite defender. If we get him right we added an elite, albeit a zoning back. (Or improved Plug.)

Our elite core is in decline. We cannot win a preemiership with fewer elites IMO. We have to add elites, chiefly. And improvise role players to flesh out the 18. The next four can be found in anywhere.

Reactions: 5 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Sydney Stack, Noah Balta and RCD. If they become B+ or better footballers in 2022, we can have a serious tilt the next couple of years.

Reactions: 4 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
But shouldn't we be planning to draft our next preemiership?

No.

Port got as close to that as you can get with Butters, Rozee, Duursma et al. And failed.

If we could draft Butters, Rozee and Duursma next year they'd still be too young to play elite in our next preemiership. (See PtA 2021.)

So we should spend the currency we might spend on them instead on existing or soon to mature elites. This is why I'm plumping for Tom Mitchell (elite ball winner) and Adam Cerra (potentially elite ball user).

Hypothetically, should we give up #7 for Jordan Dawson? If we can't get an elite mid, then yes.

*But we should be spending these draft choices on our rebuild.*

Oh. I thought we were talking about preemierships.

Reactions: 3 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I think we're already in the Geelong window. Maybe a prelim is the best we can hope for.

That's why this draft is so important. We have so many good picks that we need to shift higher, with the extra opportunity to trade into the 2022 draft to add to the next dynasty cohort led by Bolton and Balta.

Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We won three preemierships in four years based on a core of elites who we surrounded with players of varying talents who suited a novel game plan.

This core of elites is the key to our next preemiership.

We still have Bones Martin for another couple of years. But Cotchin is on his last legs. We have to nurse Prestia for two more years.

Jack has always struggled with contact injuries, but is otherwise very sound. Edwards was poor in 2021 but still has something to offer. Hopefully more of his best.

Lynch is still an AFL #1 forward, even when a bit lame.

Nankervis and Soldo are not individually elite but together they form a bulletproof ruck division. I would say an elite division.

We will miss Houli. Elite is a very important idea here. I want to contrast it with the idea of mediocre. Elite HBFs can be got or cultivated soon.

Vlastuin is young. Grimes isn't old.

This is the list of elites that got us to three premierships IMO. I could make a case for Lambert, now, it seems, in decline.

We can't win a preemiership with any fewer elites IMO. We need to add more if we are serious.

That's the thing about Tarrant. He is an elite defender. If we get him right we added an elite, albeit a zoning back. (Or improved Plug.)

Our elite core is in decline. We cannot win a preemiership with fewer elites IMO. We have to add elites, chiefly. And improvise role players to flesh out the 18. The next four can be found in anywhere.

exactamundo D'e

Martin might have peaked but time will tell.

Cotch is in rapid decline, Lambert injured but possibly in slow decline, as is Prestia. Even if they all stay on the park all year, they probably aren't as good as they were. Jack up and down but a good season nevertheless. Odds are he will be slightly less good next year. Young guys, maybe in the future, but not next year.

Lynch, hard to tell if he's past his best or not.

Defense is as you say - we will miss DTLD, maybe Tarrant solves that. Houli is a loss but we can cover that. Grimes and Vlas still quality.

It's the midfield that is the worry. Bolton could really help if he spends more minutes there and he's not required so much up forward. If we don't trade in an elite mid you can say that the club has recognised that our window is closed. My feeling is that it has anyway, but let's see.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I think we're already in the Geelong window. Maybe a prelim is the best we can hope for.

That's why this draft is so important. We have so many good picks that we need to shift higher, with the extra opportunity to trade into the 2022 draft to add to the next dynasty cohort led by Bolton and Balta.

Agree 100% with this. Even if everything goes right, top four is likely the best we can do.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Given Tarrant covers DLTD, and Houli has effectively been replaced by Rioli, we need to add two quality, elite midfielders - either kids step up or we trade for them now plus have an injury free season. If that happens we can finish top 4 - raffle from there.

To me, it's more game style that we need to sort out anyway.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Reckon we have the nucleus to win another two within the next four years. Under Hafey we won 67.69.lost/robbed 72,won 73.74. and injuries killed us in the prelim 75.Five grand finals for four flags,so under Dimma the incentive is to beat that great record under his tenure.Let us say 5 out of 5?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Has anybody noticed that we deride Geelong for their plan to finish fourth? They top up with mediocres, not with elites.

How do you reckon the Geelong fans feel about the whole fourth is awesome narrative?

I think we have two years. If we can replenish elite stocks. To win a preemiership.

We might go down the fourth is awesome path because there is money in that. Remember a lot of our members are theatre goers and they will believe in fourth is awesome. And they will pay.

But I'd rather we recruit elites - must be at least one mid , prefer two- and go for it.

This is why I think we should pay AFL overs for Tom Mitchell (nobody else should pay that) and overs for Cerra. TPP and draft choices t the wind.

One more preemiership.

*Oh. Well, that's not many.* Tell that to the Melbourne Colossus.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
The other factors to consider and are just as critical is having going in 2022 elite coaches (tick) and fitness support teams (question mark), luck (unknown).

Port are interesting - not sure I would put their empty basket down to drafting for a flag - in 2020 it was also lack of KPP in attack and defence, maybe the coach only gets half a tick, not sure. It’s not that uncommon for some teams to peak at prelims.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Sydney Stack, Noah Balta and RCD. If they become B+ or better footballers in 2022, we can have a serious tilt the next couple of years.

Sydney Stack has never played a season of senior football, SCOOP. Balta has each kind of moment. (The most established of the trio IMO.) And RCD is a very interesting prospect, to some.

We are talking about replacing Trent Cotchin. Kane Lambert. Bachar Houli. Core, elite players. Maybe Shane Edwards. Preemiership, experienced, elites. About lifting a side that finished nineteenth in 2021 to first.

That side will need to add elites.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Do we actually have cap space for the Cerra & Mitchells? Swings wildly from we have heaps to we have none.

I’m in the we don’t have any camp.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
*What we should really be planning to do is not bottom out.*

We can talk more about the fourth is excellence plan.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We should win two more flags, then bottom out, draft the next Cotch and Jack, and eight years later win four more flags.

And so on.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Dow, Ralphsmith, Collier-Dawkins, Stack, Ross?
Any of these have the ability to breakout next year & become a top flight mid?
It would sure help win another flag if one of them did.
Big questions.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Dow, Ralphsmith, Collier-Dawkins, Stack, Ross?
Any of these have the ability to breakout next year & become a top flight mid?
It would sure help win another flag if one of them did.
Big questions.
No.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
But shouldn't we be planning to draft our next preemiership?

No.

Port got as close to that as you can get with Butters, Rozee, Duursma et al. And failed.

If we could draft Butters, Rozee and Duursma next year they'd still be too young to play elite in our next preemiership. (See PtA 2021.)

So we should spend the currency we might spend on them instead on existing or soon to mature elites. This is why I'm plumping for Tom Mitchell (elite ball winner) and Adam Cerra (potentially elite ball user).

Hypothetically, should we give up #7 for Jordan Dawson? If we can't get an elite mid, then yes.

*But we should be spending these draft choices on our rebuild.*

Oh. I thought we were talking about preemierships.
big flaw in this thinking is Port never had the superstructure we have. stick three like those into our side and its flagtime next season

I reckon if we can snag a ready to go gun and an x factor who plays the second half of the season, much easier said than done of course, we'll be contending next season.