So how do we win our next preeemiership? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

So how do we win our next preeemiership?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Jack is right.

At least 1 elite mid would have us going toe to toe with Ivan Drago (Melbourne) in 2022.

I have two small hopes if we don’t achieve this:

1) We were dog tired this year. Lambert isn’t done, Shed isn’t done, El Capitano isn’t done. The list is quality and we have been building for next year since the mid season bye. Also... Noldo

2) Maybe our Pick 7 is a plug’n’play. Maybe RCD says ‘here I am, my name is Riley *smile* Collier-Dawkins.

Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
One thing is becoming increasingly apparent to me - Dustin Martin will need to play a late career Leigh Matthews role up forward if we’re gonna kick enough goals.

Tom and Jack can’t do it all without mid/small support.

People talk about midfield, but maybe our real weak spot is Castagna, Aarts, Parker et al

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, Carts, we need MoJu to come on and we probably need to draft a small forward or two as well. Arthur Jones from WA is one I'm keen on, he showed Charlie Cameronesque qualities in the latest state game. Not sure of his NGA status, though.

RCD blooming would be a boon for sure. The other move is Tarrant and Miller hold the fort down back and Balta becomes a wildcard forward with midfield cameos.

And then yep, we need all the old hands to hold firm, and a couple to come through like Stack (also a forward/mid, IMO - The Prince to be the new Houli). Bolton has another level to go to.

Whilst in theory the above would be great, from what the club have alluded (outside Tarrant) the cap is too tight to bring in anyone. Let alone one of the above. Or both.

Dusty and Lynch will be taking up what $2.5M+ each year alone over the coming period.
You can't alter free agent contracts, so we're stuck with Lynch's back-ending (ooh, er, matron!) but I'd be surprised if we hadn't used some of the Rance money to bring forward some Dusty payments.

There's never a lot of room to move given you have to pay at least 95% of the cap. I think someone worked out it's about 650k difference. But that would make it $1.3m difference between 95% and the 105% you can pay the year following. If we were planning a big move on a free agent next year, that would be one way of creating space. Then in the years following, the contracts of Cotch, Jack, Sheds and co. drop off the books, so there would be an opportunity to add a couple of well-paid players to what is hopefully a new, youthful core.

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I'm surprised Bolton hasn't been considered in the elite calculus of this thread.

He had a filthy end to the year. Worst on ground in 6 of our last ten games.

But he out Dustied Dusty for the first half.

If we have any form of fab four or five for a premiership tilt in a post Cotchin era, then Bolton is the front man.

Reactions: 7 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm surprised Bolton hasn't been considered in the elite calculus of this thread.

He had a filthy end to the year. Worst on ground in 6 of our last ten games.

But he out Dustied Dusty for the first half.

If we have any form of fab four or five for a premiership tilt in a post Cotchin era, then Bolton is the front man.

oooh oooh i mentioned Bolton. But I don't want to be part of the elite of PRE anyway

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
we probably need to draft a small forward or two as well. Arthur Jones from WA is one I'm keen on, he showed Charlie Cameronesque qualities in the latest state game. Not sure of his NGA status, though.

hes not tied to WC or Freo. Coulda been but he bloomed late and they missed the 17 yo cut off.

3rd or 4th round should do it?

but im sensing with jetta and betts straight into development roles, clubs are gonna mine the indigenous resource harder than previously?

Reactions: 1 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Whilst in theory the above would be great, from what the club have alluded (outside Tarrant) the cap is too tight to bring in anyone. Let alone one of the above. Or both.

Dusty and Lynch will be taking up what $2.5M+ each year alone over the coming period.
I have been told in the past that I have rare accounting skills - I always assumed they meant it in a good way. Could explain why I have trouble with the auto-sum button in an Excel spreadsheet.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Ooh, hello - what's this? Lobb to GWS? That's gonna squeeze someone out. Will anyone be willing to take on Cogs' million-dollar deal? Or can we get Tiger Time Tim Taranto?!?!?!111

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
I trust Balme knows exactly what we need and I think at his age he aint going to die wondering. He stayed at Richmond for a reason....success.

We can recruit whoever we need. If we need Mitchell or Coniglio we just rearrange contracts to suit. Back end a deal. If we dont need anyone else they will recruit for the future.

Balme is a winner, always has been, always will be.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Ooh, hello - what's this? Lobb to GWS? That's gonna squeeze someone out. Will anyone be willing to take on Cogs' million-dollar deal? Or can we get Tiger Time Tim Taranto?!?!?!111
Coniglio maybe on the table.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
To add two core players in 2022 would do us. Not rucks. We've got them

If I had to just pick two players from my imagination - Mitchell. De Goey.
Yeo would fit the bill.

Let's do Yeo and Taranto and threepeat the GoDees in GFs.