SOS appointed list manager at the Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

SOS appointed list manager at the Saints

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Now I know why Stocker got a second chance, that's the SOS way, got be doubly sure.

Reactions: 1 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
jobs for the boys. past group basing their success on past performance, time has flown by and game has changed. Don't have the luxury of 5 of the top 15 picks.

• Haha

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Because if RCD was good enough, someone would have picked him up
I was talking about Liam Stocker and SOS ending up at the same club again as a coincidence given SOS was the one who did the pick swap to get him to Carlton and has defended him in the media since he was delisted.
Don’t get the connection to RCD

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I know it's never acceptable to inject facts that contradict a good PRE kicking of an opponent, but I am baffled by the knocks on Silvagni as a list manager.

He started at GWS in 2011 from scratch, the side finished top 4 by 2016 and made a Grand Final in 2019.

He started at Carlton in 2014, finished in 2019 and that list looks ready to mature into a finals making side now as well and probably should have started last year, despite all the coaching upheaval in those years.

People can pick out all the micros of individual draft picks and priority picks but if the macro of a list manager is to create a list capable of playing finals and contending then he is miles ahead of most.

Reactions: 1 user

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
He started at GWS in 2011 from scratch, the side finished top 4 by 2016 and made a Grand Final in 2019.
And that's it?!?
He started at Carlton in 2014, finished in 2019 and that list looks ready to mature into a finals making side now as well and probably should have started last year, despite all the coaching upheaval in those years.
And how many 1st round draft picks has he burnt to build a side that missed playing Finals last year?!?
The guy is thick as a brick!

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
I know it's never acceptable to inject facts that contradict a good PRE kicking of an opponent, but I am baffled by the knocks on Silvagni as a list manager.

People can pick out all the micros of individual draft picks and priority picks but if the macro of a list manager is to create a list capable of playing finals and contending then he is miles ahead of most.
with half the teams in the competition being eligible for finals each year, coupled with better draft picks for the lower you finish, I'm not sure this is such a science as may be suggested.

more respect to those who strike gold with the rookie drafts etc , than those with access to high picks year on year, such as Silvagni faced with GWS in particular and then with a perennial poor performer in Carlton.

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
and before someone trots out the Sun's versus GWS comparison, look at who left the Sun's and we're stars

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Here is his Carlton work.

His 2015 is a smash out of the park.

The rest is pretty much meh. And his recruiting of plenty of GWS hacks to the blues has been disastrous.

If you judge him on 2015 he's been a success. But many many many more misses than hits.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Here is his Carlton work.

His 2015 is a smash out of the park.

The rest is pretty much meh. And his recruiting of plenty of GWS hacks to the blues has been disastrous.

If you judge him on 2015 he's been a success. But many many many more misses than hits.

I think that's too micro a view of list management, is there anyone who doesn't have many more misses than hits?

When you look at that list, each year they have added guys who have become part of the senior side and the list has improved.

Taking the view that list managers work in the future the question about Silvagni's competence should be do they have a good list at about the 2022 stage, three years after he finished?

I'd say the answer to that is absolutely yes, certainly better than more teams than not. That makes him pretty decent at his job for mine and certainly not the joke he is painted to be on this forum.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
In 2015 Carlscum had 4 picks in top 20
picked-
1 Weitering
2 McKay
3 Curnow
4 Cunningham
Thats a lot of picks for SOS to build a team around bit hard to stuff it up Tanking helped as well

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

And so he should have given the picks he had at both clubs over a long period of time.
That’s the point so many are making.
It is of course subjective but when you compare the picks Richmond had against both what Carlton and GWS had over the last decade or more there is a strong argument that either their recruitment or development teams were just not up to scratch, or both
He wasted so many list spaces at Carlton on failed GWS picks. That’s pretty damning on him imo.

Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Silvagni took over as list manager of a Carlton team that had 3 no1 picks already on its list, plus Patrick Cripps, and was a year removed from playing finals. Nearly 10 years later Carlton still havent played finals again.
I am not sure how anyone could call that a success.
(and keep in mind he was list manager not recruiter so he shouldnt get the credit for individual selections like Curnow and McKay.)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users