State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

tigertim said:
Agree on both points. My least favoured is Hawthorn for the same reason: their smugness. And I never know why the Buddy/Tambling gets trotted out into folklore but the Thorp/Reiwoldt didn't. Anyway, nice to sxee Thorp and McCulloch dominating in Tas, what's our equivilent here, EFL 3rd div?
:hihi Funny one tigertim.

To be serious, you'd probably put Tas State League at a similar level as the strongest VIC Country Leagues, or perhaps towards NTFL standard in Darwin. To put some perspective on it, Jeromey Webberly was drafted as a mature age out of the Tas State League but wasn't nearly as dominant as Thorp now is. And obviously never quite made it as a Richmond Senior Player.

Word has it Sheeds had a good hard look in the off season at Justin Laycock whom is playing for Burnie after his career at Essendon, but seems to have his body right and is playing well in the Tas League. Jeremy Howe of Melbourne was also drafted straight out of the Tas League playing for Hobart FC the year before he was drafted.

Panthera Tigris said:
It's no secret that Hawthorn is one of my most disliked opposition sides. Can't stand their smug supporters. Every time they pull the whole "Buddy Vs Tambling" card my come back is always Thorp Vs Reiwoldt, seeing as the Dawks took Mitch Thorp 2 or 3 places before Reiwoldt in the 2006 draft - Shuts them up :p. From memory Thorp was touted as the next big thing key forward player, but didn't really live up to the hype. Only played a handful of games given that word has it, he had a fair few off field issues, as well as injury troubles.

That would be Thorp who was taken 1 pick before Joel Selwood, (thats ok tho, he hasnt had much success against the hawks), 2 picks before Ben Reid, and a few picks before Frawley (but again thats ok, the hawks havent struggled to find a key back in recent years) and yes he was picked before Reiwoldt.

For a guy like Thorp it doesn't really matter what league he's dominating in. It's all about where his head is at. He was a super talented junior but a bloody headcase. Heard stories about him trying to injure teammates so he could get a game. :eek:

If he has matured then he is definitely worth a look as we need a big CHF.

Would Ben Warren be worth picking up? Haven't seen that much of him but think he's been playing well at VFL level.

Panthera Tigris said:
you'd probably put Tas State League at a similar level as the strongest VIC Country Leagues, or perhaps towards NTFL standard in Darwin.

A good Tassie team would beat a good Darwin team ILO. I am from Tassie and now live in Darwin. A lot of the Darwin teams don't cope with muscle, aggression and pressure. I can't dispute a Darwin team might have more skill though.
I haven't seen enough Vic country footy to compare

snaps truly said:
A good Tassie team would beat a good Darwin team ILO. I am from Tassie and now live in Darwin. A lot of the Darwin teams don't cope with muscle, aggression and pressure. I can't dispute a Darwin team might have more skill though.
I haven't seen enough Vic country footy to compare

Probably on the mark there.

I suppose QAFL and AFL Canberra would've been a similar standard to Tassie too, that is before they were weakened by the formation of the NEAFL. Interestingly there is a rep game scheduled for this year between Tassie and the NEAFL. Will give a good indication of the relative standards.

tigs2010 said:
For a guy like Thorp it doesn't really matter what league he's dominating in. It's all about where his head is at. He was a super talented junior but a bloody headcase. Heard stories about him trying to injure teammates so he could get a game. :eek:

If he has matured then he is definitely worth a look as we need a big CHF.
Talented bloke, no doubt about it. Perhaps Bart McCulloch will be looked at as a mature age rookie too. Big strong bodied ruckmen are often late bloomers.

Panthera Tigris said:
Probably on the mark there.

I suppose QAFL and AFL Canberra would've been a similar standard to Tassie too, that is before they were weakened by the formation of the NEAFL. Interestingly there is a rep game scheduled for this year between Tassie and the NEAFL. Will give a good indication of the relative standards.

Only state of Origin would settle it. For instance the leading goalkicker from a QLD team in the NEAFL is Kent Abey...from North West Tassie!

Apparently there's a Vic v WA state game this weekend.....pretty low key.

snaps truly said:
Only state of Origin would settle it. For instance the leading goalkicker from a QLD team in the NEAFL is Kent Abey...from North West Tassie!
Yep, that happens a fair bit. Before the formation of the NEAFL I was aware of a few Tasmanian blokes playing in both the QAFL and Canberra leagues as well as always having a sprinkling of blokes playing in the various other state leagues (SANFL, WAFL, VFL etc.)

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&sID=60264&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=23539186

Vic side announced. Some interest in Michaeledis, Ross, Sewell, Lambert, Cockie, Cain, Wheeler. Good to see a few more Fankston boys get recognition. Loured is an interesting one. Starred for Frankston as an 18/19 yr old and moved "up" to Sandy where he stagnated and played twos. Went back to Frankston and now gets a state gig!

Watched the first half and some of the last quarter. No huge stand outs for mine but Michalides, Ian Richardson, Motlop and Sam Lloyd as possible small forwards. Sherlock was a running, lean looking half back, looked ok. Michael Sikora as a 206cm ruck looked promising. Marigliani got a heap of te ball but can't see him getting another chance (and turned it over a bit)

Vics went down though!

snaps truly said:
Which Motlop Tim?
Marlon. 23, 179 centre metres, good skills. Spent a season at Port Power. Looks not unlike Steve from Geelong.

SCOOP said:
Big wrap for Ben Ross. Could be a plug and play.
Yep, a classic case of a good player ho didn't make it first time round. Very nicely skilled.

tigertim said:
Marlon. 23, 179 centre metres, good skills. Spent a season at Port Power. Looks not unlike Steve from Geelong.

Thanks mate. He also played up here the last 2 seasons in Darwin. He goes ok from what I have seen, but drifts in and out of games, not a good sign when you play in the NTFL