Stengle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stengle

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
In the wars off field, and no Crouch in sight.

Adelaide Crows forward Tyson Stengle has been stood down by the club after off-field incident (paywalled)​

Liz Walsh, Reece Homfray
Herald Sun
December 14, 2020

Crows small forward Tyson Stengle has been stood down and his career hangs in the balance after an image of the 22-year-old sent to the club sparked yet another investigation into his off-field behaviour.

Adelaide released a statement on Monday morning saying it was aware of an off-field matter involving young forward Stengle, who has been stood down from all club duties effective immediately as it ascertains all relevant details on the situation.

It is understood on Sunday, Adelaide was provided with a photo of Stengle in which he is pictured in front of a plate of what appears to be an illicit substance, prompting a swift club investigation.

Part of the image of Tyson Stengle that sparked a swift Crows investigation. Picture: 7 News Adelaide

Part of the image of Tyson Stengle that sparked a swift Crows investigation. Picture: 7 News Adelaide

The Crows subsequently informed the AFL, the AFL Integrity Unit and the AFL Players Association.

The Advertiser understands the image relates to an incident that took place after Stengle was caught with drugs in the city with former teammate Brad Crouch in September.

It’s another unwanted headache for the Crows, coming the day after young player Josh Worrell was pulled over for using his phone while driving and was found to have a blood alcohol reading of 0.056 – just over the legal limit.

Worrell had stayed the night at a teammate’s house and was driving home when stopped by police. He has not been charged but is expected to be issued with an expiation notice.

“The club is working closely with the AFL and AFL Players Association, as well as Stengle’s management in relation to this matter,” the Crows said.

“While the club acknowledges there will be significant media and public interest, it is not in a position to make further comment at this stage.

“More information will be provided as soon as possible.”

The suspension comes after two further incidents this year involving the 22-year-old – a drink-driving charge in April and the city drug bust.

Stengle was banned by the club for four games for the drink-driving indiscretion and for another four matches for “conduct unbecoming” in relation to being caught with an illicit substance.

After the September incident, Stengle used Instagram to apologise for his actions.

“I have let down my family, friends, the Adelaide Football Club and the AFL community,” he said.

“To the loyal Crows supporters, members, sponsors and to the young boys and girls who aspire to be a footy player and look up to me, I have let you down. I am sorry.

“There is no excuse for my behaviour. I will now work hard to try and earn your trust back and repay the faith and the love you have shown in me.”

Stengle has played 16 AFL games including 14 at Adelaide after being traded from Richmond at the end of the 2018 season.

The Crows, who finished bottom for the first time in club history in 2020, are in the middle of a rebuild, of which Stengle was seen as a future small forward of the ilk of former star Eddie Betts.

This season, Stengle played a career-high 12 games in which he kicked eight goals and averaged 9.75 disposals.

In August, he signed a new contract, keeping at the club until the end of 2022. Stengle’s management has been contacted for comment.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Oh Dear ...didn't he and Brad Crouch not long ago get busted with amphetamines or something thereof.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The fact that the club has made a public statement suggests the photo was sent to club and media at the same time. Someone is obviously out to stitch him up.

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Check out this quote from Matthew Nicks

"Unfortunately Tyson wasn’t able to live up to the standards that’s required to be an elite athlete at this football club,” Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks told Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight last week.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Watch Carlton jump on him in the mid season draft with 'Mentor' Betts wanting to be the saviour of a struggling kid.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
It’s sad no doubt as he has wasted a huge opportunity. Just wondering what the AFL is going to do now to lend him any support? With the off field cap being reduced AFL aren’t as resourced as they once were to support AFL in the elite environment with off field matters and in their transition after football. When football has full crowds again and the money is flowing again will the AFL increase the caps again?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Average footballer,
Give his spot to a kid that really wants it.
Well done by Nicks.

Reactions: 2 users