Stengle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stengle

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
TigerFlag2017 said:
In hindsight he was presumably best available rookie at the time (and probably same for Liam Baker), but you do have to question the logic of these rookie selections when we have a huge back-log of small forwards. Issue was only further accentuated by drafting Higgins this year (no issue with his selection given his quality).
Thinking Higlet, Sausage, Geezer would all be spending more time rotated through the midfield next year. Probably Cadds n Fridge given more inside mid work. Rearranging our Forward line with Jaaack, Tommygun n Georgie as the mainstays of the forward half, with Bakes n Bolton to be likely stepping up in support. The sixth spot in the forward line will simply be a rotation of one of our mids resting forward.
Still bloody annoyed about our *smile* poor game against Colonwood when it was bloody important, but. Dusty, Cotch, Presty, Lamblett, Shedda, Cadds, Sausage, Fridge, Higlet, Geezer, still offers a quality group to rotate around the mid / forward combinations.
Obviously Higlet, Fridge, Sausage n Geezer are the ones with plenty of upside n development still to come through as they mature n support our current guns.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Was a bit of a list clogger. Could play but what little I saw of him made me think is heart wasn't in it most of the time and as we have a bus load of small forwards with more drive and talent we can think ourselves lucky we got pick 68 for him

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We still have a truck load of small forwards and losing one or two was inevitable. Stengle is a good player and probably will play a bit for the crows but he is not an enormous loss because he wasn’t in our best 22.

We got a ruck who had played a bit for Sydney for pick 46. Why would we expect a high pick for a rookie small
Forward who has played 2 games?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
caesar said:
Balmey said we put an offer to him to stay but he wanted to go home to Adelaide, can't do much about that and he had no runs on the board to garner a higher pick for him.

I'm glad we made him an offer to stay. He's a good player & as we know highly rated by his VFL coach. Unfortunately for him we had a surplus of good players in that position.

BrisTiger24 said:
The worst thing that can happen to us is Stengle goes on to kick a lot of goals for Adelaide while George struggles through as a forward role player for us. I would have liked to have seen Stengle in the forward line in the 1s this year to see how he performed because I fear George may not work in our new forward structure.

I also would have liked to see him given a chance. Castagna flunked at the business end of this year failing to kick a goal in either final & having little impact. He's not the answer & I expect will be forced out this season.

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
Tigers of Old said:
I'm glad we made him an offer to stay. He's a good player & as we know highly rated by his VFL coach. Unfortunately for him we had a surplus of good players in that position.

I also would have liked to see him given a chance. Castagna flunked at the business end of this year failing to kick a goal in either final & having little impact. He's not the answer & I expect will be forced out this season.
I agree with you about Castagna.

As for Stengle he has made an impact in the VFL but still has to prove he can elevate to the AFL. We rolled the dice by letting him go and keeping Bolton but I think the upside of Bolton is much greater than Stengle's and hopefully he repays the faith in 2019.

I suspect that ultimately Castagna will make way for Bolton.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
ahyeahnah said:
I agree with you about Castagna.

As for Stengle he has made an impact in the VFL but still has to prove he can elevate to the AFL. We rolled the dice by letting him go and keeping Bolton but I think the upside of Bolton is much greater than Stengle's and hopefully he repays the faith in 2019.

I suspect that ultimately Castagna will make way for Bolton.

Castagna is 99% the reason we won the 17 flag. Bolton takes a back seat in regards to the tackling machine.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
We wanted to keep Stengle. Of the ones that have left he has the greatest possibility of biting us on the arse.

Unquestionably a smarter and better overall footballer than Bolton. Shai however has X factor in speed, vertical leap and lateral movement and evasion.

Actually wouldn't mind Shai and Noah sharing a wing and resting forward in the firsts as they build up their tanks.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Agree with lamb that Stengle could bite us. Tough to tackle and makes some pretty good decisions. I guess it’s the speed factor.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
RoarEmotion said:
Agree with lamb that Stengle could bite us. Tough to tackle and makes some pretty good decisions. I guess it’s the speed factor.

we wanted to keep him, he decided to reject our offer & accept Adelaide's

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
RoarEmotion said:

Smarts more important than speed.

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
SkillzThatKillz said:
Smarts more important than speed.
stengle is betts air and like betts will excel in mid 20s
win some lose some i guess but not happy we let him go

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
There's fast and there is evasive. A few players like the Riolis have both. Stengle has great evasion skills; the ability to get away from other players with stealthy and tricky body movement. He makes up for his lack od speed with this. He has excellent goal-sense and is hard to tackle. Strong mark for his size too.

Very doubtful he'll ever get anywhere near cousin Eddy Betts (who has the lot also) but is capable of becoming a handy AFL small forward.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I liked him, sorry to see him go. As a rookie pick, unless he tears it up he didn't cost us too much.

I think he would have played a more games if it wasn't for our misere of midgets.