Succession Plans - I don’t get it | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Succession Plans - I don’t get it

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Throw enough darts and you’re bound to hit something. Law of averages.
As someone that's spent way too many hours playing darts in pubs, you can always hit something, but hitting Triple 20 regularly has nothing to do with the law of averages.

Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
As someone that's spent way too many hours playing darts in pubs, you can always hit something, but hitting Triple 20 regularly has nothing to do with the law of averages.
That’s why I said “something”.
I stuck a dart in a bloke’s ankle once. His fault, he was wearing thongs and standing behind me. They made me yell “fore” after that.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That’s why I said “something”.
I stuck a dart in a bloke’s ankle once. His fault, he was wearing thongs and standing behind me. They made me yell “fore” after that.
But Caro doesnt just hit something, she's quite accurate. Sure maybe a 15 instead of a 180 every now and again, but this was a solid 180.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Succession plan only works if the person at the top decides on his own that they will move on like Paul Roos did when he had Longmire take over.
Malthouse and Clarkson were sacked.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh,

they meant the 3-week succession plan?

why didn't they say?

text-book perfect. genius. amazing.

like a Jamaican batton change. No wonder Kennett was able to privatise and close all of Victoria in 4 years.

He is to succession planning, what Meth Amphetamine is to weight loss.

yeah, nice one

:rotfl1

I assume Collingwood must have offered ClarkoGenius a job?

Last edited:
  • Haha

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Of course they don't work. The coach is being condemned to a dead end job. Hawthorn would've been better to pay Clarko out at the beginning and make it bloodless.
Would you bust a gut at work if you knew we redundant in 12 months? Sickies and holidays till the end.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Would you bust a gut at work if you knew we redundant in 12 months? Sickies and holidays till the end.
It would affect your performance even if you tried not to let it. There were clashes in their approaches and Mitchell would’ve got his way. Clarko would be a lame duck with his name on the performance.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I think succession plans are fine, as long as it is the coach who instigates it. If it comes from any other place it is bound to fail.
The Roos to Longmire succession plan is this example. Roos wanted to go.
Malthouse and Clarkson didn't.
It's not the plan that's the problem, it's the willing participants in it or lack thereof that makes then succeed or fail.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It's rarely succession planning, it's usually mateship planning in the AFL

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Succession plans are a funny concept when it comes to the art of coaching. What exactly is being transferred to the assistant? Would Dimma be coaching more like Sheedy if he spent a year or two following him around with a pen and paper? How many years would Trent need to follow Dimma around the club for Trent to become a great coach?

Nope.

The best process is usually a thorough process with a wide net and independent input. Like the one that landed us Hardwick.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
It worked at Dees because Roos only took on the role to set the next bloke up.
Dimma could decide that 2023 will be his last year and that Kingsley will replace him. If everyone is on the same page and egos don’t get in the way it would work.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Roos was bought with AFL money for a fixed term during which he pretty much knew Melbourne wouldn't be contending. Bit of a unique circumstance.

I can't remember any coach announcing a year out that next season would be his last. The coach invariably wants to continue while the team's succeeding.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
It worked at Dees because Roos only took on the role to set the next bloke up.
Dimma could decide that 2023 will be his last year and that Kingsley will replace him. If everyone is on the same page and egos don’t get in the way it would work.

It worked because Roos probably didn’t care enough, was happy to take the AFL’s money and then move on after his contract ended leaving someone else to actually deal with the pressure of having to get Melbourne good.