Supercoach Bargain Players ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Supercoach Bargain Players ?

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Braddles said:
The other thing I suggest everyone does is completely ignore second year players when putting their team together. They rarely improve significantly on their first year output, and thus represent poor value. Just pretend they're not there.

Jack Grimes an exception to prove the rule?

Braddles

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 28, 2005
Bonbeach
YinnarTiger said:
Jack Grimes an exception to prove the rule?

Probably didn't really make this point all that clear. What I really meant was guys in their second year who'd played a reasonable amount of footy in their first season. A second year player with a starting price around the 300-400k mark is a definite risk.

Grimes only played one game last year, and his low starting value combined with his preseaon form meant he was potentially very good value; same story with Andy Otten. I really didn't look at these guys as second year players.

When looking at second year guys, there are always those returning from injury or who didn't play much the season before who provide far better value. The perfect examples from this year are Shaun Higgins and Hayden Skipworth. Look to players like Josh Hunt, Xavier Clarke, Beau Waters and Andrew Walker to provide that sort of value next year.

While there always exceptions (Joel Selwood springs to mind), there are nearly always better options than second year players. The term 'second year blues' isn't without some basis in fact.

Braddles

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 28, 2005
Bonbeach
YinnarTiger said:
Thanks.

So in 2010 I should steer clear of the likes of Jack Grimes and Greg Broughton?

I would personally. One of the most important things you've got to consider when choosing your players that aren't in the elite bracket is whether or not you think they'll improve on their output from the year before.

Aside from the likes of Ablett, Riewoldt, Goddard, Cox, etc. EVERY player you pick should represent value in some way. Maybe you'd pick Pavlich or Jon Brown because they only averaged around 100 this year but you think there's a good chance they can average 110. Or you pick Cooney over someone of a similar price (which will be a tick under 500k next season) because you know he can play better than he did this year and average well over 100 like he did last year. That's the way it's got to be done IMO.

Braddles

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 28, 2005
Bonbeach
Tigers of Old said:
Thoughts on Lewis Jetta Braddles?

I must admit I haven't really kept that close an eye on him given the fact that Sydney don't normally play new players all that much, but that fact that he's a bit older than the average first year player will definitely work in his favour. His scores have steadily increased over the preaseason, so I'd say there's a real good chance he'll get some serious game time.

It' a real shame he's not in the forwards as well, then I'd really have to consider him. I really don't think you could go too far wrong having him in your team.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Wade Skipper out for 8 weeks. :p
Had him as a cheap 4th ruck as I thought he'd get a fair run at the Hawks due their lack of rucks.
That area is weakened even further now for them.

mexican_radio

*fix the midfield*
Feb 12, 2005
South of the Border
I assume you guys don't want to share your team lists, and I understand why...this thing is very competitive these days !
But I wonder if you can help me with one thing...how are you determining who may or may not play in round 1?

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
mexican_radio said:
I assume you guys don't want to share your team lists, and I understand why...this thing is very competitive these days !
But I wonder if you can help me with one thing...how are you determining who may or may not play in round 1?

I'll have a flying stab at it but I reckon most people will usually go by the team lists announced before the round.

mexican_radio

*fix the midfield*
Feb 12, 2005
South of the Border
Rfc4Ever said:
I'll have a flying stab at it but I reckon most people will usually go by the team lists announced before the round.
I assume that response is sarcastic, but consider this. Supercoach locks us out at the commencement of Round 1 which is a Thursday, at which point many teams have not announced their final lists.
That is why I asked if anyone had inside scoop on who might play etc.

tigerblood82

Tiger Rookie
Apr 3, 2007
Jukes Extended said:
Who's better value Banner (port) 100,200 or Barlow(freo) 111,400,
I've gone with banner..

I've been fighting with this one too - trying to figure out who to include out of Trengove, Martin, Barlow, Banner and Shuey.
The problem is, with the exception of Martin, i keep changing my mind everyday

mtench

Tiger Champion
May 9, 2007
WINCHELSEA
mexican_radio said:
I assume that response is sarcastic, but consider this. Supercoach locks us out at the commencement of Round 1 which is a Thursday, at which point many teams have not announced their final lists.
That is why I asked if anyone had inside scoop on who might play etc.
Think its only a partial lock out this year. You'll be able to change your team after thursdays game except for the Richmond and Carlton players in your team

mexican_radio

*fix the midfield*
Feb 12, 2005
South of the Border
mtench said:
Think its only a partial lock out this year. You'll be able to change your team after thursdays game except for the Richmond and Carlton players in your team
it's a nice idea and I wish they would do it but....that is AFL Dream Team only I fear