Support for BLM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Support for BLM

Do you support Richmond players taking a knee before tonight's match?

• Yes

Votes: 62 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter Norman, always have trouble recalling that name.

A fine gesture by Norman to stand with the black athletes and very relevant for the times as the Civil Rights movement was prominent.

Will provide a little context since it is unrelated to the poll. Norman was driven at the time by his Christian values (which he later abandoned along with his wife and family in favour of fast cars and drink). He was severely censured because the clenched fist gesture by Carlos and Smith was the signature of a violent US militarist group whose name isn’t relevant. It was done quietly; Americans tend to be oblivious to the identity of “the white guy” in the photo. Although history has been rewritten to cast Norman as a hero and denigrate the Australia of that era, I tend to think we got it right the first time.

Thanks to everyone who’s voted so far. Carry on!

Last edited:
This is the post match interview with Dimma and Dave which unfortunately wasn't shown in full on the telecast last night. It's just over 8 minutes and from about the six and a half minute mark Dave is asked a question about the player show of support and in my opinion his answer is brilliant and gives a clear indication of the inclusiveness of the club both now and going forward.
Whether an individual agrees with the gesture or not Dave spoke really well and articulated that the players had been discussing this for a while and that they had conversations about it as a playing group. Clearly also they approached the collingwood players.
The accusation that I have seen mainly in social media that they haven't tried to inform themselves or talk as a group about it is clearly false

Reactions: 3 users
There will likely be those that take great umbrage at this cartoon! (sadly)

But it's as humorous (and relevant) now - as when it was first published after the 2016 election.

I wonder if there will be a call for Snoopy to be removed for being a supporter of racism?

Attachments

• Cartoon.jpg
    Cartoon.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 49
When someone can tell me what shade of skin qualifies for the #BLM movement, I’ll support it.
If you are treated differently because of the colour of your skin, you're Black.
if your life expectancy and health outcomes are worse because of the colour of your skin, you're Black.
if you have a higher chance of ending up in gaol for minor crimes because of the colour of your skin, you're Black.
if you're more likely to be stopped by police because of the colour of your skin, you're Black.
if its harder to break the cycle of poverty because of the colour of your skin, you're black.
if you have to remind and convince people your life is important because historically it has been valued less, because of the colour of your skin, You are Black.

Reactions: 1 user
I loved it. Showing solidarity is noble and as much as it is a token gesture it really didnt take much effort did it? The same who frothed at the mouth over that other indigenous star are getting upset over it, but what can I say.... Dinosaurs will die out me included.

Reactions: 1 users
Player driven,

There’s many different players from all walks of life. Driven by whom?

Who are you to tell the players to keep politics out of sport?
Surely the players are free to make their own choices and customers will respond if they don't like it.

You’re right, players should be free to make their own choices. But were they free to say no and go against the team?

Astbury said most of them just started hearing and talking about it in the past week. Is that enough time to critically analyse a complex issue and decide whether to assume the role of Australia’s leading political influencers?

They weren’t free, they had to do it.

And they did it after memorising the first few arguments anyone would hear on the first YouTube video anyone would look up on the issue. It’s almost a word-for-word recital.

He sounded like someone who went to church for the first time, memorised a few bible quotes, and now he’s preaching to friends and family to come to church with him next week so they don’t all go to hell when they die.

I’m not afraid to call this for what it is. The players were pressured and manipulated into influencing society in ways they don’t understand, and they weren’t truly free to choose otherwise.

For better or worse that’s my own original thought on the issue and isn’t memorised from anything I’ve read, but I fear most people will think I’m evil for posting it, which is crazy to me.

Reactions: 3 users
Poll is closed, thanks for voting.
I’m not afraid to call this for what it is. The players were pressured and manipulated into influencing society in ways they don’t understand, and they weren’t truly free to choose otherwise.

This is my take exactly.

There will likely be those that take great umbrage at this cartoon! (sadly)

But it's as humorous (and relevant) now - as when it was first published after the 2016 election.

I wonder if there will be a call for Snoopy to be removed for being a supporter of racism?

Change 'Donald Trump' for 'Antifa' in your cartoon and see if you still find it humorous.

There’s many different players from all walks of life. Driven by whom?

You’re right, players should be free to make their own choices. But were they free to say no and go against the team?

Astbury said most of them just started hearing and talking about it in the past week. Is that enough time to critically analyse a complex issue and decide whether to assume the role of Australia’s leading political influencers?

They weren’t free, they had to do it.

You know this for a fact or are you just making suppositions?

DS

Change 'Donald Trump' for 'Antifa' in your cartoon and see if you still find it humorous.

ROFLMAO!

Are you serious?

I actually did LOL!

Are you seriously suggesting that changing the word Trump to ANTIFA has the same impact/effect?

I mean seriously? (surely you are joking)

I wish you well.

ANTIFA are simply (another) irrelevant domestic 'organisation' filled with (at the time) passionate/opinionated/energized anti establishment fools that then grow up and realise they made/make no difference except hurt/damage other people (and ultimately - their own cause).

They'll be the first to dial 000/911 when the tables are turned - and or - they wake up one day and actually realise that creating a 21st century Italian mafia type rule in urban streets actually SUCKS!

ROFLMAO

ANTIFA will be yesterdays news so quickly it's not funny.

................... AND - Donald Trump will thank them for helping him to get re-elected!!!!!! :rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:p

Reactions: 1 user
Astbury talking about his 'white privelage' in the post match press conference. FFS!!
If that aint bringing politics into football I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If you are treated differently because of the colour of your skin, you're Black.
if your life expectancy and health outcomes are worse because of the colour of your skin, you're Black.
if you have a higher chance of ending up in gaol for minor crimes because of the colour of your skin, you're Black.
if you're more likely to be stopped by police because of the colour of your skin, you're Black.
if its harder to break the cycle of poverty because of the colour of your skin, you're black.
if you have to remind and convince people your life is important because historically it has been valued less, because of the colour of your skin, You are Black.

So it’s not actually about being black - it’s about oppression...?

Plenty of oppression of all skin types throughout history. Where does it stop?

I’m being a bit facetious but the hypocrisy of all this gets to me.

ROFLMAO!

Are you serious?

I actually did LOL!

Are you seriously suggesting that changing the word Trump to ANTIFA has the same impact/effect?

I mean seriously? (surely you are joking)

I wish you well.

ANTIFA are simply (another) irrelevant domestic 'organisation' filled with (at the time) passionate/opinionated/energized anti establishment fools that then grow up and realise they made/make no difference except hurt/damage other people (and ultimately - their own cause).

They'll be the first to dial 000/911 when the tables are turned - and or - they wake up one day and actually realise that creating a 21st century Italian mafia type rule in urban streets actually SUCKS!

ROFLMAO

ANTIFA will be yesterdays news so quickly it's not funny.

................... AND - Donald Trump will thank them for helping him to get re-elected!!!!!! :rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:p

You literally just re-enacted your own comic.

You know this for a fact or are you just making suppositions?

DS

Whether I’m wrong depends on how you think about groups, and individuals within groups.

I think they’re all unique and I assume they all have their own unique thoughts and feelings.

It seems you think it’s better to assume they all think and feel the same.

I hope that answers your question.

Whether I’m wrong depends on how you think about groups, and individuals within groups.

I think they’re all unique and I assume they all have their own unique thoughts and feelings.

It seems you think it’s better to assume they all think and feel the same.

I hope that answers your question.

Yes it does, you assume.

DS

This poll's age profile wouldn't get anywhere near the players.

Sure, it's not a scientific poll. You would still expect to see some variation in a sample >= 20.

From another perspective, the players' ages ranged from 20-32, which is not representative of the club's stakeholders.

The club has seen a lot in 135 years without becoming political. It's not much for supporters to ask that it abstains from entering into controversy. It isn't a smart move when the budget's been squeezed and some are making financial sacrifices re memberships.

Last edited:
The other thing the poll doesn't take into account is how connected and caring for each other the players are. A very tight group that genuinely look out for one another.

With a decent number of indigenous players, and general exposure to the challenges of indigenous people through the KJI, I'd be more likely to believe all 22 of our boys bought into this willingly and enthusiastically.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.