Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not unlike what Syd has done, a fairly hefty fine.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Elijah Taylor wants to play for Sandringham this season and earn another crack at the AFL. There are paths back if we decide to part ways with Syd.
Saints probably in his ear ?

They've been like a 20 year old randy sailor lad whos been stuck on a boat for months thats been let loose on King Street during shore leave.

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Interesting you removed my posts. Let's get this straight, people are allowed to post racist *smile*, but we aren't allowed to call it. Very disappointing. To say the least.
I did a bulk move to anything that didn't have anything directly related to Stack.
No one's posts have been removed, they're all still available, just in a different place, with the link provided for transparency.

Reactions: 6 users

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
The only thing relevant about Sydney Stack being indigenous is that like any specific ethnic minority it possesses its own cultural mores.
RFC has a significant number of indigenous and racially/culturally diverse players. If Sydney Stack is to be successful at AFL level then RFC is about as likely as any club he is going to find to be able to support and relate to him both sympathetically and in a manner he can accept.

Young, poor decision makers, and players which struggle with the demands of a professional athlete - every AFL club can assist and support with that.

Because of this I hope RFC gives as many chances to Syd as he can grasp. In return Syd has to supply the discipline, professionalism and desire to succeed. Many can't and in spite of their talent don't make it as a professional athlete.

Reactions: 5 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Agree with the first 2 paragraphs. Disagree with the last.
The club can’t just keep giving chances to these recidivists like Sydney. In a time where resources are being wound back it is such a big risk to ignore the kids who do the right thing but allocating/wasting it one player who you just know will **** up again.
put the resources into RCD, MRj, Hugo.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Agree with the first 2 paragraphs. Disagree with the last.
The club can’t just keep giving chances to these recidivists like Sydney. In a time where resources are being wound back it is such a big risk to ignore the kids who do the right thing but allocating/wasting it one player who you just know will **** up again.

I understand this sentiment G29,

But as BR has pointed out,

Dusty had a rocky start off field, we stuck with him, and changed the course of all of our lives.

Imagine our lives today if we had cut Dusty loose and poured the resources into Ben Nason?

Sydney Stack can really play. He has superb balance and vision and decision making with the ball in hand.

maybe thats the solution? we keep a ball in his hand at all times.

This kid has the football world at his feet. He's a triple premiership RFC immortal just waiting to happen.

I still reckon our Stackman's misdemeanours have been way overblown; He hasn't sexually assaulted anyone, he hasn't GBH'd anyone (indeed, seems to seriously pull his punches to me).

The first Hub breach was a terrible mistake. The second one wasn't that terrible I dont reckon, on the wrong side of a technicality.

All we are sayyyyyyyyyyy iiiiiiinnnnnngggggg, is give Syd a chance

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Can you explain why you thing it is helpful or appropriate to damn his parents on a public forum in this manner? To me your post is just bloody nasty.
U would have to be a fool to not know,what's nasty is drunken violence,not calling it out,have a think about it.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Forgetting about Syd's misdemeanour, he had a terrible case of the 2nd year blues this year. He's still got a couple of brownie points with me though.
If the club sticks with him and he has another season like this years, he'll be on shaky ground.

Reactions: 1 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Picking over the Sydney Stack scab will do no-one any good, I am happy to see if it heals and Sydney becomes the player that we saw in 2019.

In not we can all move on a bit wiser for the experience.

The ball now is in Sydney's court.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Forgetting about Syd's misdemeanour, he had a terrible case of the 2nd year blues this year.

no doubt.

I saw a few passages of play live in one game

that made it clear 2019 was no fluke.

He spewed after one overlap play that was sublime.

I really reckon he will work his way into the best 22 in 2021 if we stick with him

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
no doubt.

I saw a few passages of play live in one game

that made it clear 2019 was no fluke.

He spewed after one overlap play that was sublime.

I really reckon he will work his way into the best 22 in 2021 if we stick with him

eZyT, Syd's just 1 hip and shoulder away from finding that 2019 form. I reckon he's currently practicing them on a brick wall.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Hopefully the club does give Sydney another chance but realistically I cannot see him forcing his way into the best 22 on a regular basis. Personally I think that there is more upside to RCD, Dow, Ralphsmith, Martyn and Eggmolese-Smith (hopefully he gets another chance at it). These guys would be desperate for senior opportunities and no doubt would be applying themselves in a big way to get a chance. It is also a make or break year for Naish and I really want him to step up big time this year and show a lot more urgency and vigour in his game.

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

Dusty had a rocky start off field, we stuck with him, and changed the course of all of our lives.

Imagine our lives today if we had cut Dusty loose and poured the resources into Ben Nason?

Sydney Stack can really play. He has superb balance and vision and decision making with the ball in hand.

This kid has the football world at his feet. He's a triple premiership RFC immortal just waiting to happen.

I still reckon our Stackman's misdemeanours have been way overblown; He hasn't sexually assaulted anyone, he hasn't GBH'd anyone (indeed, seems to seriously pull his punches to me).

The first Hub breach was a terrible mistake. The second one wasn't that terrible I dont reckon, on the wrong side of a technicality.

Agree with this, except I don’t care about his decision to party. It’s the repeated non-decisions to improve his fitness that worry me.

After the first breach, he went away and didn’t work hard. Came back to training in what was reported to be horrible condition. His manager later confirmed this.

Club would’ve been given him structure, a training plan, told him what to eat, how to run, etc. Two years in the system, trusted him to go back to Perth on his own.

The club would likely have GPS data and know how much he was training, but given reports he’s been regularly out partying, it’s likely that for the second time in 3 months he’s chosen to spend little of his time working to improve his fitness so he could be successful. That’s what matters. We don’t know if he was training hard every morning.

I don’t really care that he broke the covid rules, and I don’t really care if he enjoys the party life - I do care about his seeming lack of effort to become successful. I wouldn’t cut him though. I don’t buy the theory other kids will suffer from over-investing in Syd. It’s not that hard, and the cultural trickle down effect will be a positive.

Yeah Dusty would go to the states with Dane Swan in his spare time, but the next morning he’d be running up sand dunes.

I don’t get the impression Syd was running hard every morning in Perth, but I could be wrong. This matters more than the covid breach and unfortunately we don’t know the answer.

Whether or not Dusty and Syd share off-field interests, can their approach to training at the same age be compared?

Last edited:

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008

EZY, all good points and TBH my thoughts on this didn’t come easy. I’m all for giving blokes a heap of chances even when you know it will be to no avail..hope against hope.
yes Sydney has talent to burn, probably more than 3/4 of our list. Should that upset him or the club more??
Dusty..will debate his was higher profile but lower on the scale than Sydney. Your point on Sydney’s misdemeanours being overblown is probably correct but coupled with the 3 preseasons of turning up unfit means he constantly requires managing where RCD, Hugo etc.. don’t. The club can put all the efforts into making them better footballers not trying to make sure they aren’t breaking laws.
To finish up on this, I hope he makes it at RFC and I hope he can sort his life out to find some purpose and fulfilment.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Hopefully the club does give Sydney another chance but realistically I cannot see him forcing his way into the best 22 on a regular basis. Personally I think that there is more upside to RCD, Dow, Ralphsmith, Martyn and Eggmolese-Smith (hopefully he gets another chance at it). These guys would be desperate for senior opportunities and no doubt would be applying themselves in a big way to get a chance. It is also a make or break year for Naish and I really want him to step up big time this year and show a lot more urgency and vigour in his game.
Sydney has more ability in his little finger than most of the players you mention.
Best first year player at our club since Mathew Knights.
Desire is a completely different conversation.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
If we keep him it says to me that a) his behaviour is not as bad as it appears and b) he's still a good chance to make it. The club doesn't make many mistakes nowadays and we shouldn't expect one here given the time they've had to make an assessment.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Sydney has more ability in his little finger than most of the players you mention.
Best first year player at our club since Mathew Knights.
Desire is a completely different conversation.
Deledio was also very good in his first year. He started playing senior football at 17 (and looked 25) which I think was the same age as Knights. Deledio looked genuinely like a number one pick. It is such a shame that a player of Knights quality never got to play in a premiership. He was a great player for so many years in a very ordinary team. Stack has looked best on the backline but with Broad, Houli, Baker and Short all there as mainstays in the backline, it is difficult to see Stack forcing one of those players out of the team. Stack's time may not be due until next season after Houli has retired.