Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

With the NSW border control situation returning, you’d just have to laugh if Victoria mandates a 14-day hotel quarantine for WA flights by the time Sydney gets out.
No reason whatsoever to demand people travelling from WA go into quarantine. The question in regards Stack is if the 16 days turns into 3 months.

Sydney Stack can really play. He has superb balance and vision and decision making with the ball in hand.

maybe thats the solution? we keep a ball in his hand at all times.

This kid has the football world at his feet. He's a triple premiership RFC immortal just waiting to happen.
A bit of balance Ezy, Stacky could really play in his first year. He was nothing short of a marvel when he first hit the scene. Tapered a bit as the season went on & got dropped before injury.
His excellent start was certainly not so obvious in 2020 for whatever reasons. In many games he was a shadow of himself from the previous year.
The Dusty comparisons are interesting because even when Martin was slightly astray, his on field output was still at a high standard.
Can Sydney recapture the genius he showed in his first season? I think not unless he absolutely commits to it & that is a very big if.

Reactions: 2 users
Syd arrived at the club behind in his fitness. He worked his arse off, spewing all over the place. He could do it again.

Question is - will he?

If the club keep him (I think they will), they should insist on some very strong non-negotiables. Even put him with a Minder.

Maybe he could live a Balmy's place? That would be scary to Syd :)
Swapping the KFC for Vanilla Slices would not help.

• Haha
A bit of balance Ezy, Stacky could really play in his first year. He was nothing short of a marvel when he first hit the scene. Tapered a bit as the season went on & got dropped before injury.
His excellent start was certainly not so obvious in 2020 for whatever reasons. In many games he was a shadow of himself from the previous year.
The Dusty comparisons are interesting because even when Martin was slightly astray, his on field output was still at a high standard.
Can Sydney recapture the genius he showed in his first season? I think not unless he absolutely commits to it & that is a very big if.

You dont forget how to play footy.

Especially that innate twitch footy stackman plays.

Just finished the marlion book in tears.

He makes reference to stackman being 'uncle syd' to his kids.

Its worth nothing, but i will back our stackman till the end

You dont forget how to play footy.

Especially that innate twitch footy stackman plays.

Just finished the marlion book in tears.

He makes reference to stackman being 'uncle syd' to his kids.

Its worth nothing, but i will back our stackman till the end
No you don't forget but at AFL level you can drop away quickly if you're not fit enough as we clearly witnessed last year.
Raw talent only takes footballers so far if you're blowing up.
He can play better than most but Syd needs to start vomiting at training again if he's to make his way back.
It'd be a heck of a waste if he can't & an awesome story if he can.
Whilst he's a Tiger he'll have my support too. Hoping like hell he can right the ship.

Reactions: 8 users
After reading Marlion’s story, I came to the conclusion that what Syd needs is a rock; someone like Marlion’s Jess. That extra motivation to keep hm making the smart decisions and working hard for them as much as himself.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
After reading Marlion’s story, I came to the conclusion that what Syd needs is a rock; someone like Marlion’s Jess. That extra motivation to keep hm making the smart decisions and working hard for them as much as himself.
I hope that Syd is not feeling sorry for himself, and is doing some reflecting.
He could do a lot worse that read Marlion's book and other, redemption type books. I found Nelson Mandela's Long Walk To Freedom very inspirational.
Here's hoping that his 14 days in isolation is the making of him.

Reactions: 3 users
I noticed that Eddie Betts' advice for Sydney last year was to work hard. On twitter, Eddie often seems to attribute success with hard work, unlike the typical commentators who praise Eddie's "magical" innate ability to perform without effort.

The thing about being more talented is everyone else is less talented than you, which means of course they need to work harder than you. By extension, it's okay for you to get away with not doing as much as them, because when you're the most talented, you can work half as hard and still be better than others. That's the inescapable logic of innate ability vs hard work.

It's hard to get people like that to truly believe in hard work, but if it does all click internally, you can end up with a model of greatness.

It doesn't help that the more Sydney stuffs up, the more surrounding commentary fixates on his innate talent...
Betts was a gun a star, fantastic footballer and from all reports a very very good bloke.

He is a fantastic advertisement for the Aboriginal kids and the juniors in general.

Syd is lucky he had such a great impact in 2019 he'd be long gone had he not.

He's got the talent but doe hes have the desire and the want anymore?

Betts, Marlion, Edwards, X Clarke, Cotchin, Martin, JR8, Grimes, Shai, Ivan Maric, Hardwick, Sumich, there are no shortage of people that Sydney can turn to for direction and advice.

Plenty of people who can lead Sydney to the water.

He however needs to drink of it himself, and stop drinking the Kool Aid on Tik Tok.

Before Marlion Pickett, Sydney Stack was on course to be the story of the 2019 season. If not for a rolled ankle in the cow paddock next to the Essendon Bowls Club, he might still have been. Between his first kick going out on the full and stepping in that rabbit hole, he didn't put a foot wrong.

*Oh, his form tailed off and he was dropped.* Yeah, after we had to shift him forward to accommodate Shorty, to which he responded with a stunning 4 goal performance first-up, not to mention the sublime goal-and-poster combination in a minute against GWS that had us laughing out loud at how good this kid was. He was dropped after a 12-disposal game, that came after 20 touches and a goal against Collingwood, and 18 touches against Port. The kid was the best first-year player in the entire comp (lol Sam Walsh).

That game at the cow paddock he had 15 disposals to half time playing in the middle. He was in our September plans. That they rolled him out for the VFL grand final on one leg tells you he was in the selection frame right up until the last week.

Anyway. We all know he can play. And he can play up. I am in the camp that his infractions were on the stupid and thoughtless side, not the malicious or criminal. The two 'brawls' were 1. standing up for a mate under attack, and 2. defending himself. In both cases he did the minimum required to end it asap. That's how you do it.

*But that's why no one drafted him. Everyone knew his issues. We gave him the chance to play AFL footy. How many chances do we give him?*

We
drafted him. Despite his issues. Yes, we gave a teenager the chance to play AFL footy. We - and the AFL - also profited from the kid and used his image and popularity to promote the game, the league and our club.

*He signed up for it.* So did we. When a club drafts a young man, particularly one from a background such as Syd's, it takes on a responsibility for that young man. A club that touts its culture and 'celebration' of everyone for who they are, warts and all, is doubly responsible lest it be accused of not standing for what it stands for.

*How many chances do we give him?*

How many chances do you give your brother? Your son? As many as he needs, barring some unforgiveable atrocity.

Sydney is a performer. He needs a stage, not a cage. That doesn't excuse his mistakes but it does in part explain them.

*He doesn't learn from his mistakes.*

We need to teach Sydney Stack how to learn. Other players do carpentry apprenticeships or learn how to make wine. We should enrol him in a performing arts degree.

I wouldn't officially increase his suspension. But I would make him bang the door down for at least a month before he's considered. And he has to go to class.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
*He signed up for it.* So did we. When a club drafts a young man, particularly one from a background such as Syd's, it takes on a responsibility for that young man. A club that touts its culture and 'celebration' of everyone for who they are, warts and all, is doubly responsible lest it be accused of not standing for what it stands for.
I liked your post. But what responsibility does the club bear for Ben Cousins' current circumstances after Hardwick pretty much tapped him on the shoulder?

We're a football club offering employment for footballers. Yes we mentor them and attempt to help them grow as people and we celebrate successes in that space. No doubt we'll continue to do it with Stack if he stays on the list, but I'm not sure it should have any bearing on the decision.

Last edited:
I liked your post. But what responsibility does the club bear for Ben Cousins' current circumstances after Hardwick pretty much tapped him on the shoulder?

We're a football club offering employment for footballers. Yes we mentor them and attempt to help them grow as people and we celebrate successes in that space. No doubt we'll continue to do it with Stack if he stays on the list, but I'm not sure it should have any bearing on the decision.
Ben Cousins is responsible for Ben Cousins' current circumstances, but I'm of the view that once a Richmond man, always a Richmond man, and I hope we can/are help(ing) him in some way.

As far as I know, alcohol is the only substance Sydney's used, which I bet can't be said for others on our list. He is contracted. My point is we gave him that contract with eyes open. At the least we should see it out, provided of course he behaves.

If I stepped out of a DeLorean and told you I'd just seen Stack win the Norm Smith Medal, you wouldn't be surprised. Let's do all we can to ensure that's with us.

Reactions: 1 users
Ben Cousins is responsible for Ben Cousins' current circumstances, but I'm of the view that once a Richmond man, always a Richmond man, and I hope we can/are help(ing) him in some way.

As far as I know, alcohol is the only substance Sydney's used, which I bet can't be said for others on our list. He is contracted. My point is we gave him that contract with eyes open. At the least we should see it out, provided of course he behaves.

If I stepped out of a DeLorean and told you I'd just seen Stack win the Norm Smith Medal, you wouldn't be surprised. Let's do all we can to ensure that's with us.
Maybe the AFL just isn't for him, in which case there's no point forcing it. It's what Stack and the club need to work out. Maybe even take the kid gloves off and let Stack make all the running.

Last edited:
I haven't yet read (in detail) what the crimes are (TBC):

1. went to a strip club during COVID hub
2. allowed himself to put on some weight
3. breached quarantine rules
4. got in a fight (in a pub?)

Without knowing the circumstances I'd dare to say these are (in context) amazingly trivial (think the legend of ANZAC and the Aussie 'larrakin')

................... the only one above that is/should be of concern to the RFC is the fight (and what caused it/how he acted)

The rest is white noise (little more than poor judgement?)

He has too much upside to throw to the wolves just yet.......................................... IMHO

Then again when I saw this the other day - I knew the world had gone MAD:

"Backpackers at Bronte beach party should have face recognition used to identify them and have them deported"

WoW!!!!! George Orwell is having a wet dream!!!!! :(

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe the AFL just isn't for him, in which case there's no point forcing it. It's what Stack and the club need to work out. Maybe even take the kid gloves off and let Stack make all the running.
Yep, he's got to make the choice. No one can force him to do it. Totally up to him now. If he decides it's still for him then give him all the support he needs to make it. If he decides it's not for him or doesn't make an effort then wave him goodbye.

Reactions: 1 user
Stack ahead of Walsh? Yeah nah. Let's keep both feet on earth.

Rest I'm with you. It's a stupid boy, not a bad boy. Huge difference.

Stack ahead of Walsh? Yeah nah. Let's keep both feet on earth.
Ability-wise, Walsh is the much more conventional player who arrived with AFL-level running ability. Stack is the rare bird. His ability to see the play ahead of him and always look to move the ball forward is the very essence of the way we play. Imagine this with a tank!

• Love
Not much remained in my head from my days at uni, but I do remember some lecture about motivation. Was either in Organisational Management (or Interpretive Dance :cool:).

The premise was/is that you cannot motivate anyone. You can only provide an environment in which they will motivate themselves.

Richmond Football Club will provide Syd with every opportunity for personal and professional development. It will just be up to Syd to grasp it (if that's what he really wants).

Gee I really hope this young fella can prove a few people wrong.