Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Ability-wise, Walsh is the much more conventional player who arrived with AFL-level running ability. Stack is the rare bird. His ability to see the play ahead of him and always look to move the ball forward is the very essence of the way we play. Imagine this with a tank!

I could watch that all day!

Reactions: 1 users
Not much remained in my head from my days at uni, but I do remember some lecture about motivation. Was either in Organisational Management (or Interpretive Dance :cool:).

The premise was/is that you cannot motivate anyone. You can only provide an environment in which they will motivate themselves.

Richmond Football Club will provide Syd with every opportunity for personal and professional development. It will just be up to Syd to grasp it (if that's what he really wants).

Gee I really hope this young fella can prove a few people wrong.

Roy Keane on motivation

Reactions: 1 user
Stack ahead of Walsh? Yeah nah. Let's keep both feet on earth.

Rest I'm with you. It's a stupid boy, not a bad boy. Huge difference.
I'm grounded, bro. Stack's 2019 was better than Walsh's, at least up until the drop in form.

I'd have several from the 2018 draft ahead of Walsh. The Kings, Rozee, Butters, Smith, Rankine, Blakey...Walsh is around Duursma level for mine. Which is still very good - it was a cracker of a draft class.

Walsh is maligned because of Kane Cornes. Walsh is a gun and was a deserving Rising Star winner.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd agree all of those and Stack have the potential to play better footy than Walsh if you line up all their best together.

Where Walsh is different though is he is a 'set and forget' player, just put his name in the middle for 10 years and know you will get 90% output on average for all of it, not the peaks and troughs of the others, who might give you three weeks of 95% and then a 35.
Agree.

I've just read Konrad Marshall's The Hard Way over Christmas, and in reference to kebabgate there was the line "does it bury you or does it plant you?"

I'll forgive the indiscretions if there's growth from it, but his lack of fitness at training before Christmas suggests that even the Dynamic Lifter applied liberally at Punt Road can't get him to sprout.

I love Syd's best and want to see it again in Tigers colours. Ultimately it's up to him to make that happen.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
*He signed up for it.* So did we. When a club drafts a young man, particularly one from a background such as Syd's, it takes on a responsibility for that young man. A club that touts its culture and 'celebration' of everyone for who they are, warts and all, is doubly responsible lest it be accused of not standing for what it stands for.

This, we signed him knowing the issues. We have some level of responsibility to own that choice.

*How many chances do we give him?*

Come on Spook, you have to understand that all the fine upstanding right wingers here have never f***ed up in their lives. We know this, as they never want to give anyone a second chance, one strike and you're gone. I can only conclude they never did anything stupid in their teens and 20s or even later, after all, they would have been deservedly thrown on the scrap heap according to their own ideologies.

DS

• Haha
Come on Spook, you have to understand that all the fine upstanding right wingers here have never f***ed up in their lives. We know this, as they never want to give anyone a second chance, one strike and you're gone. I can only conclude they never did anything stupid in their teens and 20s or even later, after all, they would have been deservedly thrown on the scrap heap according to their own ideologies.
L1: "Turned up to work this morning and got the sack for being late."
L2: "Wow, that seems a bit harsh."
L1: "Yeah, I was only due back last week."

This, we signed him knowing the issues. We have some level of responsibility to own that choice.

DS

Not one of your best posts David. One strike? If this was Syds 1st strike then we wouldn't have had dozens of pages discussing this. To suggest this is his 1st strike is ridiculous.

This is a pattern of repeated behaviour where he either hasn't taken on instruction from the club / police or both on repeated occasions. Being a professional footballer takes a lot of self discipline, you can't do what a lot of other people do at their ages (ie. going out every weekend, getting smashed every weekend etc). What this raises is repetitive behaviour where he can't take instruction from either the club or police and doesn't have the self discipline to see anything through.

He's clearly been told by the club or his manager that his career is hanging in the balance but still doesn't have the self discipline to take direction for the good of his career.

The club will know better than us and I back their decision whichever way they go, but there is only so much hand holding we can do with him, particularly with lower soft caps going forward.

His talent is undeniable and I've loved watching him play (particularly in 2019) but as others have said it isn't for everyone.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm sorry but if I hear the Ben Cousins comparisons one more time..
Cousin's came from a blessed, loving upbringing was given a gazillion chances & support to get himself right & couldn't.
He came to us not as a kid, he was a grown man. Yet he still hasn't grown up.

Sydney's upbringing couldn't have been more polar opposite & he's a 20 year old who's just finished his second season in the system.
I don't wish to slight Cuz here but the comparisions with Stack's situation are ludicrous & should end.

Reactions: 10 users
The drugs had gotten a complete hold of Cuzz before he got to Richmond. Was able to get himself together for 2 yrs but was straight back in its clutches the minute he retired.

Cousin's came from a blessed, loving upbringing was given a gazillion chances & support to get himself right & couldn't.

Sydney's upbringing couldn't have been more polar opposite & he's a 20 year old who's just finished his second season in the system.
I don't wish to slight Cuz here but the comparisions with Stack's situation are ludicrous & should end.
Substitute Laurence Angwin for Cousins, then. There was an interesting article earlier in the year with Pagan bemoaning that he had the talent to set himself up for life but couldn't make the commitment, and Angwin speaking of finding contentment in small-town life playing for Ouyen United reserves. It doesn't have to end badly if Stack is cut. I don't believe our conscience is burdened.

My last post on this. On what is known I think he should be sacked, but hope he's kept as it'll imply there is more to it than what we know.

Walks free on wedezdey.
Any news if the club will keep him.
Jan 6 is the pre season draft.
I hope we don't delist Stack and resign Eggy.
That like giving up Dustin Martin for Rupert Beatheas

Watched a movie last night that most here would have watched Coach Carter. It was a film based on true events and the basket ball team had more than 1 Sydney Stacks.

Tough love, standards and redemption were the theme of the movie.

When players stuffed up there was redemption but standards were non negotiable and redemption came in the form of humility first and hard physical training.

While the coach was empathetic to individuals hard luck situations he didn't let that sway the standards set even to the point of forfeiting games.

There were those in the movie who focused on the hard luck stories and wanted the standards bent or lowered to suit the individual's circumstances but the Coach was

unrelenting and the players realised that the spin they used to game the system wouldn't work on the coach.

There are many parallels in the movie to Sydney's situation and some of those who are defending him.

I recommend re-watching the movie for a bit of perspective.

While the coach was empathetic to individuals hard luck situations he didn't let that sway the standards set even to the point of forfeiting games.

forfeiting games didnt work for Carlton or Melbourne?

good call Oldy.

The only valid comparison is our stackman could win a Brownlow too

Poor old Cuz was born with a hair trigger in his head that allowed him to be the fastest gunslinger in The West, but leaves him incredibly susceptible to addiction.

I wonder if he could retrospectively get the trigger adjusted, if he would?

Last edited:
I noticed that Eddie Betts' advice for Sydney last year was to work hard. On twitter, Eddie often seems to attribute success with hard work, unlike the typical commentators who praise Eddie's "magical" innate ability to perform without effort.

The thing about being more talented is everyone else is less talented than you, which means of course they need to work harder than you. By extension, it's okay for you to get away with not doing as much as them, because when you're the most talented, you can work half as hard and still be better than others. That's the inescapable logic of innate ability vs hard work.

Yeh Woods, Federer, Nadal etc aren't simply more talented than everyone else. They combine sublime talent with hard work.

John Daly tells the below story which is revealing.

“Tiger’s there in his workout clothes and I said, ‘Tiger, come have a beer with us, man. I go, ‘Man, you don’t need to work out. You need to drink a little bit with us.
“[Tiger] said, ‘If I had your talent, I’d be doing the same thing you’re doing. I’m looking at him thinking, ‘You’re crazy, man.'”

Daly won a couple of majors because he was so talented. Woods has won 15 majors because he was so talented and worked harder than anyone else.

Have a look at the lengths Lebron James goes to to get the very best out of himself.

Ability-wise, Walsh is the much more conventional player who arrived with AFL-level running ability. Stack is the rare bird. His ability to see the play ahead of him and always look to move the ball forward is the very essence of the way we play. Imagine this with a tank!

Yeh, he was an AA backman in my eyes in 2019 until we moved him forward. That highlight reel shows what he is capable of. Fitness is the key. I had a pies supporter ask about him early on and I said he should be an AA half back after about his first 3 games. He was staggeringly good.

Stack has something special both on and off the field. He will be a unifying force between white and black Australia in his post football days.

Yeh, Cousins is a self-indulgent child who deserves no sympathy now. He's a domestic violence perpetrator. He knows what he has to do but chooses not to.

Syd is still learning.