Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Not sure, Turk.

Some have said Syd's in the best preseason shape we've seen, some have said that Burge gave him a whack, some said it was only a little clip.

I put great weight on our intrepid track watcher @caesar and he's observed that Syd doesn't have the aerobic stamina of some others (but the skills and footy nous to run rings around them).

I'll wait till I see him in the flesh (or at least on TV in a praccy game before I write him off.

If Syd shares are on sale - I'm buying! :cool:
Without a doubt come round 1 he will be fine (provided he stays with the club training) But thats not the issue
My problem is how a player coming into his 4th year thats still on the rookie list can be so slack in his fitness and not follow his training instructions. His aerobic base is fine whilst in training throughout the year so no reason apart from slacking off for it to be any different.

I think Caeser has mentioned how far behind Stack is and also mentioned he wont go into great detail with other disappointing posts or words to that affect.

Syd's shares are a little like a company i bought once named Davnet , Started at 2c went upto $5.90 and ended up bust
lets all hope Syd improves his work ethic away from the club and ends up like afterpay and not Davnet

Reactions: 1 user
Not really but i do have both eyes open without the yellow sash bias. Would you give him a 3 year deal now ?
If not why not ?
Mate you keep going on and on about some alleged team rules he broke.
Where are you getting your information from? Caesar? Herald Sun? I haven’t read anything that supports your inferences.
It actually sounds like you’re the one with one eye closed. A pessimistic squint.
Mine are wide open with optimism.
I would have signed him for 2 years with performance conditions.
No one is saying he’s risk free.
We’re simply asking you to support him and encourage him and let’s all hope he reaches his enormous potential

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Where are you getting your information from? Caesar? Herald Sun? I haven’t read anything that supports your inferences.
It actually sounds like you’re the one with one eye closed. A pessimistic squint.
We’re simply asking you to support him and encourage him and let’s all hope he reaches his enormous potential

Compared to past hes having a great pre season... Thats the only thing thats real, look out SS 2022 if theres radio silence for next 3-4 months.... enjoy!

Well worth the love and support!
Wasnt even drafted, on rookie list, no real risk and top 1-4 best player at club...... silly discussion

Reactions: 1 users
i reckon Stack is an immature 21yo kid, who as a teenager, never got the chance to learn how to look after himself like most others on an AFL list would have, who moved 5000k from home 3 years ago, who has spent his 2nd and 3rd years on our list, and in a new city, in the tougher circumstances than most, and who probably has a really low endurance base, because he wasnt 'professional' as a teenager.

he is going to make mistakes, but if cutting a few corners before the pre-season is the worst he does he will be fine.

Reactions: 10 users
The problem i have with your opinion of what has happened and what may still happen is that Stack now has a long enough history going all the way back to junior footy where he had the exact same issues , Then you must also now take into consideration the 4th season of afl in 2022. He really has not learnt alot in the last 5-6 years

Difference in comparing ourself's to elite athlete's in professional environments is that they are being trained and educated to the degree which we have never seen and combined with that they are getting 100's thousands of dollars to be there and play
so they know the risk. We didnt have that at stake and thats why they Have to be more than what we were at 21
Technically he's still in his third year of professional sport at the moment n considering the volatility n inconsistency in his upbringing, he'd have an extremely different view of the world n life in general to most professional elite sports people. Wouldn't surprise if he's still struggling with the " dedication n discipline " required to be his absolute best in five or six years.
Kids a very good natural talent, with the right nudging he could become elite. Then again he might simply be a good player for a while, or even walk away in another year or two n just be satisfied playing with mates at a lower level n enjoying himself.
Reckon that trying to hammer him to fit into a precise perception of what he must be will see him walk away without a backward glance. Square pegs don't fit into round holes, sometimes minor adjustments need to be made to get all the rough edges fitting together comfortably.
Stacky might never be among the fittest players at an AFL club, but good natural footballers don't need to be to still have a big impact during games.

1 more off season like the last 4 and i doubt he gets a contract. Needs to grow up
He's only just starting his 4th off season now, might be jumping the gun a smidge. Reckon Stacky might simple be one of those players that's simply not much good at running around in mindless circles for months on end. Stick a footy in his mitts n have him running around with his team mates for three months n he's more than likely to be cherry ripe at round one.

I’ll be happy with one more Viney moment. It’s so good when a piece of play gets the commentary it deserves.

“Sydney Stack just sat him down” will forever be a part of my vernacular. I get tingles just talking about it…!

Would you give him a 3 year deal now ?
If not why not ?
Nope. Not just at the moment and the reasons have been discussed ad nauseam. Stacky's simply a little bit of a problem child as regards professional development, but he seems to be improving off an albeit very low base.
He's got his one year deal with a few incentive carrots included that'll see him to the end of 22. Far as I'm concerned, if he keeps his head down n does as much of the required fitness n game day performance as he can manage during 22. Then I'd be happy for the club to offer him a 3 year deal at the end of next season.
Not everyone in the comp can be a Cotch, Judd, Selwood type instant professional elite footballer. Most players take a few years to learn the ropes n develop that hardened ruthless professional edge. A few like Stacky even manage to stumble n face plant a few times before they work it all out.

Much rather talk KFC then Sydney, feel the kid is on a hiding to nothing with some . 2 things I know as fact ,Syd is in the best physical shape he has been in at the start of any preseason as in body fat etc , 2 he’s nowhere near fit enough as in running out a game of AFL football atm , and probably should have had a few more Ks in the legs , no excuse there , however there’s 4 months until rd 1 . Syd has made changes in his life to be an AFL footballer , FFS give him until the season starts at least.

I’ll just add I don’t believe there has been a kid in the AFL to come under so much criticism and dirt digging into his personal life , especially by his own
:clap2

For me last chance.
Regardless How good he is, if he returns after the Xmas break looking like John Candy, its time to say goodbye.
Its Richmond 2022 not Richmond 1992.

Much rather talk KFC then Sydney, feel the kid is on a hiding to nothing with some . 2 things I know as fact ,Syd is in the best physical shape he has been in at the start of any preseason as in body fat etc , 2 he’s nowhere near fit enough as in running out a game of AFL football atm , and probably should have had a few more Ks in the legs , no excuse there , however there’s 4 months until rd 1 . Syd has made changes in his life to be an AFL footballer , FFS give him until the season starts at least.

I’ll just add I don’t believe there has been a kid in the AFL to come under so much criticism and dirt digging into his personal life , especially by his own
I think everybody loves what Syd brings to the team Mr B. He is an exciting Talent and our Club is as good a place as any for him to be. Not like in days gone by where we would not have provided the best environment. A fit and switched on Sydney Stack is undoubtably in our best 22 every day of the week.

I am not speaking for all those that have been critical of him off field but - he was overlooked by all clubs despite his demonstrated talent in his draft year. He turned up in poor shape and then worked his ring off setting a new puke record at training. Big tick there. But then let himself go again. He has got really good people around him to help him focus on things. He also has some poor decisions. Kebabgate the first and breaking quarantine the second. Despite all the warnings etc.

By all accounts he has had a tough upbringing and hopefully will rise above it. What i personally don’t want to see is Syd turning into our version of Jordan Degoey who doesn’t play by the rules. I would love to see him turn into our version of Eddie Betts. Eddie was not on the straight and narrow as a young guy, but what a player and person he turned into. Fantastic player over a long time and let’s face it…who doesn’t love Eddie? It goes against the grain to say I liked a Carlton player.

A team wins flags by everyone doing their part. Syd is a young guy but he has obligations to himself and his employer. He is on more coin per annum than I ever rose to, after 42 years in my industry. There were rules that I had to follow. Turn up to work in a fit state (albeit as a young man if hungover, you turned up and pushed through and still did your job), turn up when expected 5 days per week. Maintain professional standards etc.etc.etc.

Hate to see him waste what is a golden opportunity. There are a lot of young men with their draft hopes dashed every year. Some of whom only need an opportunity - I.e Kayne Lambert.

Reactions: 7 users
I think everybody loves what Syd brings to the team Mr B. He is an exciting Talent and our Club is as good a place as any for him to be. Not like in days gone by where we would not have provided the best environment. A fit and switched on Sydney Stack is undoubtably in our best 22 every day of the week.

I am not speaking for all those that have been critical of him off field but - he was overlooked by all clubs despite his demonstrated talent in his draft year. He turned up in poor shape and then worked his ring off setting a new puke record at training. Big tick there. But then let himself go again. He has got really good people around him to help him focus on things. He also has some poor decisions. Kebabgate the first and breaking quarantine the second. Despite all the warnings etc.

By all accounts he has had a tough upbringing and hopefully will rise above it. What i personally don’t want to see is Syd turning into our version of Jordan Degoey who doesn’t play by the rules. I would love to see him turn into our version of Eddie Betts. Eddie was not on the straight and narrow as a young guy, but what a player and person he turned into. Fantastic player over a long time and let’s face it…who doesn’t love Eddie? It goes against the grain to say I liked a Carlton player.

A team wins flags by everyone doing their part. Syd is a young guy but he has obligations to himself and his employer. He is on more coin per annum than I ever rose to, after 42 years in my industry. There were rules that I had to follow. Turn up to work in a fit state (albeit as a young man if hungover, you turned up and pushed through and still did your job), turn up when expected 5 days per week. Maintain professional standards etc.etc.etc.

Hate to see him waste what is a golden opportunity. There are a lot of young men with their draft hopes dashed every year. Some of whom only need an opportunity - I.e Kayne Lambert.
I think the club is well aware of the risk of young Syd going off the rails and are deliberately and publically keeping him on a very short leash for his own good. De Goey was never on a leash at all which has been the issue.

Personally I would prefer to see the club and the senior players deal with it.
I posted facetiously a while ago that he doesn’t have to run because he is a glider. I half mean it, he is the sort of player who is so talented that he gets the ball with minimum effort and glides around the field.
He could be an elite midfielder if he built a tank and maybe later when he matures more he may get to that stage but to me he can play a flank (probably forward) and have enough fitness to be a major asset. He is that good.
We may have to wait for him to grow up before we see the best of him, he wouldn’t be the first.

I think the club is well aware of the risk of young Syd going off the rails and are deliberately and publically keeping him on a very short leash for his own good. De Goey was never on a leash at all which has been the issue.
No doubt. I am not suggesting that he is our version. Just don’t want to see him not play by the rules that his teammates do. DeGoey is a cancer at the Pies and long may he stay there, underperforming and creating a poor example while raking in a chunk of their salary cap. But he wasn’t born that way. Let’s hope that young Syd sorts himself out and plays 200 games of quality footy for us.

Technically he's still in his third year of professional sport at the moment n considering the volatility n inconsistency in his upbringing, he'd have an extremely different view of the world n life in general to most professional elite sports people. Wouldn't surprise if he's still struggling with the " dedication n discipline " required to be his absolute best in five or six years.
Kids a very good natural talent, with the right nudging he could become elite. Then again he might simply be a good player for a while, or even walk away in another year or two n just be satisfied playing with mates at a lower level n enjoying himself.
Reckon that trying to hammer him to fit into a precise perception of what he must be will see him walk away without a backward glance. Square pegs don't fit into round holes, sometimes minor adjustments need to be made to get all the rough edges fitting together comfortably.
Stacky might never be among the fittest players at an AFL club, but good natural footballers don't need to be to still have a big impact during games.
Then if he does its his loss

He has shown glimpses but hardly a champion that will be missed on what he has produced so far
We have invested 3 and going onto the 4th year now and if he is not best 22 playing 20 games in his 4th year you need to ask how much more investment is required to even see if he makes it.

If he was a player that shows that he puts in the work before coming back i get the patience but in all honest i have dubts he is dedicated enough. Really hope i am wrong but every time he is away from the club his fitness deteriorates very quickly and like last year after kebab scandal comes back to where he started

Not particular , How often have you heard Burge publicly mention a Richmond player coming back underdone and needing to improve his preparation ? I dont think i have ever heard this type of comment from richmond fitness staff and its usually kept in house.

Then you add what training reports coming from a few here and you really can see they are not far off the mark

Then you add the concerns of the list management only handing him a 1 year rookie extension going into his 4th year when even a 29 year old Pickett gets a longer contract ( this doesnt make you think why ?)

Thank god you are not our list manager signing him on 2 years with performance conditions because we have done that with a 1 year contract and still he comes back in bad shape if it was 2 years we may have had another 10kgs on him

When you speak performance are you simply thinking game performance or the entire training , and conditioning performances as he is well short in these areas.

Not sure why you believe SS should be given special concessions to any other player , He has a responsability to keep his fitness level to a standard both in and out of season and if this was Jake Aarts , Noah Cumberland or Matty Parker would you still allow the same rope ? I doubt that but the romance of SS talent is whats blinding your judgement