Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Footballers. They're all different, physically and mentally.
Some are fast, some not so fast but can get the ball and do what is needed.
Some are tall and no good, some are short and good at what they do (Prestia is a very good midfielder but he'd be a crap ruckman)
Some put on muscle easily. Rance was an Adonis, Grimes will always be skinny (but does a bloody good job as a defender).

Syd is a terrific football talent. He may never get to the running capacity of a Broad or Lambert but if he is fit enough to play the role that the coaches ask of him, bloody beauty.

Yes he may be a bit immature and in need of a bit of tough love now and then to get the best out of him. So be it.

Best 22 no worries (from my perspective) :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
If im on the road, I occasionally (twice a year) grab a couple of sliders with pepper mayo.

kind of a miniature fried chicken kebab.

But I generally steer clear, because I'd prefer not to have my heart injectors reconditioned.
Incredibly the Colonel ran out if chicken in the “Bud” last night …. So I’m told

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The funny part of this is Syd has actually presented to this preseason in the best shape of any he has done and people ARE still unhappy.

If he gets through a full preseason uninterrupted it's a huge springboard.

Reactions: 7 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
The AFL world is packed with stories (some hilarious) of very talented players that would do anything to avoid the tedium of developing an elite aerobic capacity - from Crosswell to Carey to Dew. And I don't care about the "different era" we inhabit - you still needed to run out games of footy whenever they were played.

But you never sacrifice talent for maniacal discipline / unrelenting adherence to rules. You can be average in those areas and still win your club games of footy.

Because of the TALENT!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Do you know if it is a team rule though? Or just something you think should be a team rule?
Considering what our fitness guy said i would say pretty confidently he was given specific instructions an parameters
and didnt adhere

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
so if Ben Miller goes to bed at 20.00 every night, and eats brown rice for dinner, and does extra pilates and tells everyone he loves them and is authentic as buggery,

and Dylan Grimes sneaks half a bottle of pinot on Friday nights and hits a highland cow with an electric prod,

Miller plays CHB and Grimes goes sub?
Why only Half a bottle ?

• Haha

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
No its disappointing he didnt do what the other 43 blokes have done and what they are meant to do
ohh well maybe next year he will do it

or the year after
Not sure, Turk.

Some have said Syd's in the best preseason shape we've seen, some have said that Burge gave him a whack, some said it was only a little clip.

I put great weight on our intrepid track watcher @caesar and he's observed that Syd doesn't have the aerobic stamina of some others (but the skills and footy nous to run rings around them).

I'll wait till I see him in the flesh (or at least on TV in a praccy game before I write him off.

If Syd shares are on sale - I'm buying! :cool:

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Stack got a public whack because our psych team have determined that it would have a positive affect on him. There's probably other players that didn't follow their off season instructions as well, but wouldn't react positively to a public whack.

Gone are the days when club officials give comments to the press without them being well prepared on what to say about what players. Come need encouragement, some need a whack, some don't want any attention.

Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm a stack man. Backing in him to tear it up this year, he'll get an AA gig for mine.

Reactions: 8 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Not sure, Turk.

Some have said Syd's in the best preseason shape we've seen, some have said that Burge gave him a whack, some said it was only a little clip.

I put great weight on our intrepid track watcher @caesar and he's observed that Syd doesn't have the aerobic stamina of some others (but the skills and footy nous to run rings around them).

I'll wait till I see him in the flesh (or at least on TV in a praccy game before I write him off.

Proof is always in the pudding QD....

Above debate was more on RFC giving SS preferential treatment and not holding him to club standards i guess.

As ive previously stated, i think the club has him as with all players on an individual programs, as others have possibly correctly said he has been awfully unfit in years 1-3, hes come back in better body shape as Ceasar has said (questioned his stamina but with SS remember he turned up throwing up most sessions early days year 1), they know the data their working towards...

SS first 1-3 years as most agree has been awfully unfit, we have 361 pages of discussion on a train on, not even drafted... If SS trains and is a regular without various interruptions and by virtue committed, thats still an if, maybe a big if, but i think we all agree he will be a top 2-5 RFC player for next 6-10 years, and what a brilliant ride it will be, (IF) he keeps training and being committed which it appears he is at this stage... (take the stamina question away as its irrelavent based on his individual stamina build)

Think Chiefs comments were important also, they like him and think hes a good kid, think RFC are in the besst position to determine if they persist, agree after a few disappointments the level of tolerance decreases, However again Chiefs comments important, probably more tolerance due to SS talent, they are in the best position and have a proven track record, still 4 months to go, but if no injuries or issues 2022 will be SS best year, and i for one can wait to see it.... Its breathtaking!!!
Not sure, Turk.

Last edited: