Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Right now, isn’t close to having midfielder fitness. 20 games is a win in 22. He will win games. Electrify the team. And us.
Wonder if he would be capable of a quick midfield burst of around 5mins?

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Best role for him IMO is the role that Shane Edwards plays 50/50 mid/fwd
As Scoop wrote he isn’t at the fitness level yet for that volume. Would probably need to play a block of 4-5 games VFL midfield before he could run AFL midfield. But long term that would be an exciting option

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Best role for him IMO is the role that Shane Edwards plays 50/50 mid/fwd
Not defensive enough maybe because of his fitness level.
Edwards is unbelievable in attack & defensive.
He destroyed Ports season in 5 minutes last year.
Destroyed Bulters season and then put the Arrow away.
We need Stack back to 2018 fitness

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Brown is very strong in his marking and his timing/intercepting is impeccable.

Syd this pre-season has been training predominately forward and that is where I want him, would need to get fitter if he was looking for midfield time.
I personally saw Sydney as a future AA small defender. Reminds me of Johncock for the Crows. With the added ability to swing forward on occasions to cause havoc and kick multiple goals.
The club appears to prefer him as a forward judging by his preseason grouping so I bow to their superior football knowledge and requirements.
But I still refer back to 2019 when he was slaying them in defence and for perhaps team balance or lack of defensive pressure?? they moved him forward and after a couple of good games, he lost his way and was dropped.
I am however gagging to watch him play this year. He’s one of the best young players in the league to watch in full flight

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I personally saw Sydney as a future AA small defender. Reminds me of Johncock for the Crows. With the added ability to swing forward on occasions to cause havoc and kick multiple goals.
The club appears to prefer him as a forward judging by his preseason grouping so I bow to their superior football knowledge and requirements.
But I still refer back to 2019 when he was slaying them in defence and for perhaps team balance or lack of defensive pressure?? they moved him forward and after a couple of good games, he lost his way and was dropped.
I am however gagging to watch him play this year. He’s one of the best young players in the league to watch in full flight
Yeah but we drafted potentially two half back flankers for a reason and Daniel to half back also, so different plan needed to shake things up.
Stack Shai Dusty Shedda lurking forward is pretty tantalising to me.
George will be offended I haven't included him:).
I'd bank on Juddy getting a game at some point whether as a dangerous forward or maybe even a wing.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He was playing AA half-back football in 2019. It was outrageous what he was doing.

He can play anywhere, but I like him coming out of the backline. His kicking is sublime.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
He was playing AA half-back football in 2019. It was outrageous what he was doing.

He can play anywhere, but I like him coming out of the backline. His kicking is sublime.
Yeah and his vision and awareness is like a helicopter tiger mum when her kid in a different room looked at their iPad for one second. Game over.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I reckon that if the ultimate aim is to transition him into the midfield then high half-forward provides the best vehicle to achieve this.

Reactions: 2 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

I'd agree that he was in the elite category in 2019, and also by the end of 2021. One or two of those matches ended in Alex Rance-like moments too. Prime Rance, not kid Rance.

I love how he excels at the smaller, team-oriented actions when playing down back. Totally selfless and dependable. In 2019, he wasn't able to translate that side of his game up forward. It'll be exciting when his fitness allows him to do so.

Another talented player in Shai took about a year, plus some midfield minutes, before he became Dusty-like as a "team first match winner" up forward or in the midfield. So it can take time to bring it all together up forward.

Training him up forward at this stage of his career suggests we have Syd on the fast track to playing in the midfield as a potential superstar. I'll take that as a sign of confidence by the club.

If we've moved him too soon, should he get dropped to play forward in the VFL or moved straight to the backline? I'd prefer to see him go straight to the backline under that scenario, as he'll rediscover those incredible team traits in the backline like a duck to water. The rest will come with time.

Yeah, there's competition for spots in the backline, but it can't be too stacked unless Syd is part of it.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I remember Stack the defender very differently to others around here. I remember Sydney playing great individual footy in 2019 but our defense leaking like a sieve in the first half of 2019. I remember the coaches moving Stack out defense as soon as we got other personnel back from injury. I remember Baker, yes Baker! A kid who’d never played backward of centre in his life being preferred in defense over Stack.

Stack looks good in defense when he’s chasing a kick but I suspect he’s not doing the less glamorous or team oriented stuff required of our defenders.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Baker is a gem. So is Stack. Stack got injured not dropped. It wasn’t a matter of either/or.
The defense never leaked like a sieve in 2019.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
No, he didn’t. He was dropped, then got injured playing VFL.
After playing some amazing football in defence and up forward, Stack had one bad game playing in the wet as a forward ( the whole team was average that day ) and he was dropped.
Coaches saw something I couldn’t at the time.

Reactions: 1 user