Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
When Sydney starts covering 12-14 kms a match then consider him in the midfield.

In a recent club photo there were 4 players in the photo 3 had good muscle definition in their quads Sydney did not so he still has a bit to go to reach that fitness.

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
After playing some amazing football in defence and up forward, Stack had one bad game playing in the wet as a forward ( the whole team was average that day ) and he was dropped.
Coaches saw something I couldn’t at the time.

To put it bluntly, I remember it as him kicking 4 goals up forward, then it went to his head and the very next week he immediately dropped all the team things in pursuit of kicking goals for himself, trying to be a flashy superstar, and not having the energy left to chase and tackle.

He still kicked 2 goals or something after he kicked the 4, but his priorities looked different (lack of tank forces you to make a decision) and it wasn't long enough until he was dropped.

That's why I slightly worry that if he plays forward too soon, he might lose sight of some of the great team stuff he does down back.

He'll be fitter now, so hopefully those grounded, level-headed team instincts become a non-negotiable part of his game in any position.

I had the same observation of Shai Bolton early on, so it's not about selfishness. I've come to the conclusion that when players are young and their bodies force them to make a decision between showcasing their talents or fulfilling the team actions, sometimes the future matchwinners are the ones who are more keen to showcase their talents right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
To me there are two ways to look at it.

Where is his best position? I would lean towards the backline where his anticipation and delivery is a major asset.

Where is his best value to the team in 2022? Probably forward given the other options we have in the back half

Luxury problem, he could play either. I just hope one day he gets super fit and has a big tank because then I would stick him in the guts

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Seems the media are into him and Lynch a bit today. The backflip into the water thing, posting it on Instagram, irresponsible etc etc.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Can only assume Cornes never drove a car in pre season, never crossed the road. Assume he stayed inside all pre season and dud nothing of risk. Actually explains more about him and his general struggle to interact with other homesapiens.

TheUmpire

Tiger Rookie
Sep 30, 2003
Can only assume Cornes never drove a car in pre season, never crossed the road. Assume he stayed inside all pre season and dud nothing of risk. Actually explains more about him and his general struggle to interact with other homesapiens.
Certainly explains why he couldn't make it as a fireman.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
I still maintain it's the greatest debut season I've ever seen by a Tiger.
If Syd is fit, he's a game changer.
You watch those highlights and you wander why he’s not a superstar by now.
If he gets back to that type of form he’s a game changer in the mould of Dusty or Bolton. A very important year ahead for Syd.

• Love

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Sydney plays with bravado.
And lives with a bit of spunk.
If you try to squash that, you may end up with nothing.
Cornes is a maggot.

Reactions: 11 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
We don’t know Sydney’s personal risk at doing that move. My guess is it’s low risk for him and he’s done it lots and is good for him mentally.

What would peoples’ general views be on higher risk activities?

Should players forsake some individual freedom for team benefit or not? Sounds like a similar topic of conversation. We are already expecting sacrifice in terms of diet and exercise so the body is in a good condition. We also want players’ heads in a good space too - so not feeling overly restricted is important - at the same time doing an ACL waterskiing could screw up the team completely….