Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

With respect to both I don't remember Martin or Deledio making the splash Syd did.

part of that might be that he came out of absolutely nowhere, whereas we probably all expected Martin/Lids to have an immediate impact

agree though, phenomenal debut

Reactions: 3 users
With respect to both I don't remember Martin or Deledio making the splash Syd did.

We could also frame it as "who would you pick for a Grand Final in their 1st season?". All 3 are classy, but the intangible for me is Stack plays with a calmness, a clarity, and a mental toughness of a warrior king in battle. I think that's the difference that makes him the best first year player that I've seen.

I could see why some would pick Lids. He was pure class in all areas, had exhilarating runs with the ball, and was better on the stat sheet. But Stack looks capable of ripping bullets out of his wounds, while Lids looked like the kind of kid who'd have a sook if he didn't get his photo taken with the peacocks at the zoo.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Don’t remember either of them sitting a seasoned player like Viney on their arse either. That was as pure a bump as you’ll get.
I thought Dusty ragdolled Firrito and Lumumba in his first year. Didn’t help that in Martin and Lids’ debut years we were pretty awful.

Reactions: 4 users
Wasn't Andrew Kellaway a dual All Australian and Jack Dyer medalist sacked because he went surfing during a rehab phase?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
It's a very well know rock (not cliff) that he jumped off. Thousands upon thousands of people would jump off it every summer. I've done it.
Not sure jumping feet first whilst holding your nose is exactly the same?

• Haha
I’ll have to look that up!
I believe it was round 5 2011, Dusty kicked 5 and at the time while watching on tv i was simply stunned a second year player could ragdoll a player the size of Firrito. Remember thinking at the time - could he be the next Leigh Matthews?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I believe it was round 5 2011, Dusty kicked 5 and at the time while watching on tv i was simply stunned a second year player could ragdoll a player the size of Firrito. Remember thinking at the time - could he be the next Leigh Matthews?
Thanks. I thought it was his first year, but even so you’re right. Even Slobbo wrote it up in a very complimentary way.

Good sign that Syd is hanging out with Tom Lynch. Bit of an odd couple vibe but an interesting dynamic. If it was really that dangerous, no way Tom lets him do it. Don't forget Tom grew up on the Peninsula and would know that spot inside out. Nothing story and the club twitter post was brilliant. Everyone has moved on.

Reactions: 9 users
End of the day its no different to Vlas going surfing every chance he gets.
More of a chance getting eaten by a Great White.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Better skill set than Sheds.
Sheds is my fav, but early doors pretty inconsistent.
Syd could play his role better if he commits to being his fittest, professional footballing self

3 things after watching his highlights clip

He's a one touch one grab player. Has glue like hands
He's an excellent kick into the f50 to a leading fwd
Plays his best footy behind the play