Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Given we may cut a bunch, eg RCD then he might get a reprieve. Since 2019 it's been the same story every for Stacky ... always reasons why he takes way way too long to get going.

Last game was not great, appreciate he had two good games before then. Unlucky to get injured. He hasn't got long to regain fitness and form before seniors play finals though.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Given we may cut a bunch, eg RCD then he might get a reprieve. Since 2019 it's been the same story every for Stacky ... always reasons why he takes way way too long to get going.

Last game was not great, appreciate he had two good games before then. Unlucky to get injured. He hasn't got long to regain fitness and form before seniors play finals though.
What Syd has over many other youngsters is that he's shown previously he has the ability to play at senior level (very well I may add).
I'd keep him ahead of a few on that basis but those closer to the club will know better in this instance.

Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Since 2019 it's been the same story every for Stacky ... always reasons why he takes way way too long to get going.
There's one reason - he comes back out of shape every pre-season.

It looks obvious to me that Syd loves the club and wants to stay and make a go of it. If the penny finally drops the tough love will have been worth it.

RCD, Aarts, Martyn, Parker all go before Stacky on talent, plus a few retirements. I reckon he gets another year. Then we'll see in November.

Reactions: 7 users

tigerfan1961

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 25, 2004
I feel the same way. He isn't quick, and has limited endurance. He's obviously OK with ball in hand, and in hindsight we all wish he had played instead of Castagna or Aarts last week, but I just don't see what attributes he'd bring to the team on a long-term basis.
Some of you guys are surely taking the pi55. Syd has more talent and natural ability than most on our list. Like some others before him, imo, he is well above VFL level, and he will flourish with the better players around him at senior level.
He is tough, is a natural footballer who generally makes excellent decisions with ball in hand, and has the requisite skills too. You reckon he’s not quick? Hmmm, my eyes must be deceiving me then as he’s certainly not slow. And one of his best traits is that like Baker, Dusty and Bolton as an example, he’s a one touch player that rarely fumbles. Just cannot have too many of them in your side imo.
If we delist or trade this kid, we will live to really regret it imo. I think he is a gun player that needs to be played at senior level as he’s not suited to VFL. Just my two bobs worth

Reactions: 10 users

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Some of you guys are surely taking the pi55. Syd has more talent and natural ability than most on our list. Like some others before him, imo, he is well above VFL level, and he will flourish with the better players around him at senior level.
He is tough, is a natural footballer who generally makes excellent decisions with ball in hand, and has the requisite skills too. You reckon he’s not quick? Hmmm, my eyes must be deceiving me then as he’s certainly not slow. And one of his best traits is that like Baker, Dusty and Bolton as an example, he’s a one touch player that rarely fumbles. Just cannot have too many of them in your side imo.
If we delist or trade this kid, we will live to really regret it imo. I think he is a gun player that needs to be played at senior level as he’s not suited to VFL. Just my two bobs worth
He's not slow, but he certainly isn't quick. And that's fine if he had endurance (eg Jack Graham and Kane Lambert) but he doesn't. As for being "well above VFL level", his performances clearly show he isn't.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

It looks obvious to me that Syd loves the club and wants to stay and make a go of it. If the penny finally drops the tough love will have been worth it.

RCD, Aarts, Martyn, Parker all go before Stacky on talent, plus a few retirements. I reckon he gets another year. Then we'll see in November.

Eddie, Lambo to retire as well. Jack possible.

Dow, Miller, Biggie all wouldn't be certainties to get a contract (if uncontracted)

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
If we retain Stack at seasons end, in the pre-season I want to hear more stories about how he pushed himself so hard he vomited after training (like we heard about when we first drafted him). Then and only then, does he give himself a chance of success.

This is not about football talent, it's about getting his body and fitness to a level to allow his skills to flourish along with his confidence.

tigerfan1961

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 25, 2004
He's not slow, but he certainly isn't quick. And that's fine if he had endurance (eg Jack Graham and Kane Lambert) but he doesn't. As for being "well above VFL level", his performances clearly show he isn't.
You’re missing the point regarding VFL. I think he will find it harder to shine at that level than he would at AFL level, as he will perform at a much higher level with the better players and higher tempo at the next level.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Eddie, Lambo to retire as well. Jack possible.

Dow, Miller, Biggie all wouldn't be certainties to get a contract (if uncontracted)
That's what I said, a few retirements.

Dow is contracted for next year, the other two are unrestricted free agents. I'd be signing both.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
If we retain Stack at seasons end, in the pre-season I want to hear more stories about how he pushed himself so hard he vomited after training (like we heard about when we first drafted him). Then and only then, does he give himself a chance of success.

This is not about football talent, it's about getting his body and fitness to a level to allow his skills to flourish along with his confidence.
I'd rather hear that when he comes back to pre season training that he can already keep up with the rest of the crew n is ready to go from day one. Not shuffling along at the back of the pack barge arse n belly jiggling in the sun.

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I'm 100% for keeping him.
I'd play him on the weekend too if he's declared fit.
Also if (I know ... if if if) he hadn't done the cheekbone I'd have expected him to play last weekend ahead of a couple of blokes who were recalled and about whom we learned nothing new.
Syd at least has a potential upside and I want the chance to see it.

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah, I don't think we will make wholesale changes this year being as we only have 3 ND picks.

I'd expect all of RCD, Martyn, Aarts and Parker to leave, along with Lambo and probably Edwards. 1 of these 6 may stay as a rookie, but with only 3 ND picks (1 probably used on Taranto if we get him). I don't think we'd do much more than 6 when we have the draft hand we do, so I'd expect Stacky to get another year.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He is the sort of player who doesn't need to be quick because he has great football smarts which means he anticipates ahead of others. Only thing that holds him back is fitness and the little man in his head/ maturity. Whether that ever comes who knows but if it does I would like it to be at Richmond.
I think the well above the level comment comes when you see him play sometimes he does stuff in the vfl that others just can't do. Clearly he doesn't do it enough but ability wise he is definitely above vfl level. He is top 10 in ability at our club and probably at any club

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I feel the same way. He isn't quick, and has limited endurance. He's obviously OK with ball in hand, and in hindsight we all wish he had played instead of Castagna or Aarts last week, but I just don't see what attributes he'd bring to the team on a long-term basis.
He's better than 3/4 of the list on talent. He hasn't had great luck. Be amazed if he was let go.

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I'm 100% for keeping him.
I'd play him on the weekend too if he's declared fit.
Also if (I know ... if if if) he hadn't done the cheekbone I'd have expected him to play last weekend ahead of a couple of blokes who were recalled and about whom we learned nothing new.
Syd at least has a potential upside and I want the chance to see it.

Agree 200% - I think the Stengle case is important - it can take time but once things click you have a decent player on your hands. The trouble was we (and Adelaide) couldn’t wait the time it needed for Stengle to reach that point.

Stack has already shown us was he can do and his ceiling is extremely high - I am hopeful he can find that form in time.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
The problem of letting Stack go, he will burn us more then Stengle Higgins Bulter Chol and Ellis all put together.
100% guarnteed WC or Freo would pick him up.
He is best 22 at WC and he will prove better then some duds on Freo's list

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Stack gets one more year to show he wants to be an AFL player..

He has it at the elite level thats why he gets the extra chances, he's proven.

Others who've shown less can move on before Syd.