Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
How long do you babysit a bloke about being a professional athlete and getting the best out of yourself? Must drain the club’s resources. Yes I think Sydney has the goods, but the time is now or never. I’d offer him minimum wage contract for 1 year with decent bonus for every senior game he plays. If comes back from break in horrible shape - the end ‘Capuano’ him.

Reactions: 1 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
How long do you babysit a bloke about being a professional athlete and getting the best out of yourself? Must drain the club’s resources. Yes I think Sydney has the goods, but the time is now or never. I’d offer him minimum wage contract for 1 year with decent bonus for every senior game he plays. If comes back from break in horrible shape - the end ‘Capuano’ him.
That makes the most sense. More moolah will make him strive to become better and more professional.

Reactions: 1 user

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Don’t give me stats.
Don’t want facts buggering up narrative? Stack was trending in the right direction, particularly the last couple of games. The STATS show he was finally tackling, which I’m confident was something he was required to improve.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Your quote in isolation takes my comment out of context.
In those 3/4 last VFL games his collective effort was such that he was a far better choice than George, who has stuffed up for years.
You can use statistics if you like but if you want to get a sense of a fair comparison maybe effective disposals is worth a punt.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I would trade Sydney. I dont think he has it in him to bust a gut and put in all the necessary work day in/year in to get the best out of himself.

I am with the gdog on this about how long we have babysat him, but I'd still trade him. Wouldnt give him another year.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions all year about Sydney.
I have seen 6 reserves games live. The others streamed. But I am commenting on watching SS live.
Like many of you, I went to watch the young blokes and form my opinion of their talent.
Has talent but isnt a hard worker on the ground IMO.

Hard work is part of our DNA and mantra under Dimma. Its why MJ gets a game over Syd. It's why Marlion and KMac play on our wings. And why, unfortunately, Aarts got a gig all year ahead of Syd. Syd's tank or full time 100% commitment to push through isnt there for me.

Of course, Blair knows far more than I'll ever know.

I'd trade him in a flash and use the pick on another kid. Syd may have good games elsewhere, and punters will ask why we didnt keep him.
Wonder if he could be included in the TT deal, or a pick to the rebuilding Eagles or even the Bombers.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Your quote in isolation takes my comment out of context.
In those 3/4 last VFL games his collective effort was such that he was a far better choice than George, who has stuffed up for years.
You can use statistics if you like but if you want to get a sense of a fair comparison maybe effective disposals is worth a punt.
In ther last couple of games, where Stack started playing well, George was already out of the first team team. His position went to MRJ. Would you swap MRJ for Stack?

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
In ther last couple of games, where Stack started playing well, George was already out of the first team team. His position went to MRJ. Would you swap MRJ for Stack?
You have me there. Still have great hope for Stacky though and hope we aren’t about to lose him.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well, Chuck Ralph is reporting this morning that we are about to re-sign the Stackhat.

Note: standard Chuck Ralph warnings apply.

Reactions: 5 users

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
You have me there. Still have great hope for Stacky though and hope we aren’t about to lose him.
In a article in the Herald Sun today on Cotchin, Taranto and Riewoldt I noticed this line that Stack will re-sign..

'Taranto is also seen as a potential future captain by the Tigers, who will also sign up Sydney Stack.'

Last edited:
  • Love

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
I want to believe in the big Stack breakout season, but I just don't see it happening. How long has he been in an elite environment, a stellar culture, surrounded by deadset champions of the game, and examples of guys like Aarts and Lambert who epitomise what hard work does for your career?

Does some nice stuff, but still goes missing, still gets gassed way too early for the role he plays, and still seems to take a season to even approach the standard required to get a senior game.

Everyone says he could be anything. Yeah... but when??

If we can keep him on the list cheaply, then great, there's enough potential upside there to justify a spot. But only for a year. And if his 2023 is a repeat of 2022, you'd have to consider whether the list space could be freed up for someone whose trajectory hasn't stalled.

Reactions: 3 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
He must have been doing some good things off field for the club to be giving him one final chance . He’s talent is undeniable , has it all , however the discipline and work ethic are still questionable. As I’ve said since the day I met Syd , lovely kid just very very immature, the club obviously see not only his talent but that he is good around the club. IMHO he is worth the risk as the chances of finding that same talent with a rookie pick are unlikely. He’s definitely very lucky I just hope he realises that.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users