Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Agree if he stays, he needs to get super fit. That said, he has to be played at AFL level but the question to me is where?

He looked so good in 2019 off half back, but suspect now it may be better as the high half forward.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Part of me wants him to stay due to his untapped ability. But I know it’s almost certain he will return unfit, fat and be behind the 8 ball again ruining his chances of rd1 call up thus stuffing his whole year up. Plus the usual dramas he finds himself in.
Gotta be serious tough love or delist

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
You can if they're not professional. That remains Syd's biggest challenge 100%.

Stengle was cut from 2 clubs before making the most of his talent. I see Syd as a similar case. He's been given a lot of chances with us already.

I'll back the club on this decision.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Couldn’t disagree more. Deserved a chance but the boss refused.
Kept favouring his mate George again, and again.
Nothing to do with Stacky’s professionalism, but rather to do with his boss.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Nah, there wasn't enough in the VFL to warrant a call up. He was ok, but frankly using that measure others are well ahead of him and most of them got games. There are vacancies in the midfield and that's what he needs to become, at least as a 50/50 option.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Nah, there wasn't enough in the VFL to warrant a call up. He was ok, but frankly using that measure others are well ahead of him and most of them got games. There are vacancies in the midfield and that's what he needs to become, at least as a 50/50 option.
Had better form than Cumberland and look how he transitioned to the higher level.
Stack was handled with a velvet sledgehammer.
But miss handled

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Had better form than Cumberland and look how he transitioned to the higher level.
Stack was handled with a velvet sledgehammer.
But miss handled
He didn't have better form than Cumberland. Cumberland was showing heaps in the VFL. The three weeks before he got called up were really good, he forced his way into the team.
Stack hasn't been mishandled. Your narrative is tuned to your opinion and frankly total bollocks. Here's his stats. He couldn't regularly crack 20 possies and couldn't lay a tackle until the last couple of games. https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Sydney_Stack I like Stack but the evidence just isn't there.

Reactions: 6 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Don’t give me stats. He has come from a long way back and his improvement was significant. He had a history which told us that the jump to AFL was within his capabilities.

But his coach said no and played George who piled on failure after failure.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We're not as far apart as you think. Both things can be true.
Stack probably deserved a call up after a scintillating VFL game where he wasn't selected. However if he's not doing the things a coaching staff wants from a professional stand point then the tail does not wag the dog. That's not how professional organisations operate.If two players are fighting for a spot but one isn't doing the work then the other will question why they're picked. That kind of thinking can be cancer. Don't forget there were games 2 years ago where Dimma played Sydney in games he probably didn't deserve & he flopped. Trust is a big issue here with Syd I reckon when it comes to his professionalism & that's where the tough love has stemmed from. I'll back the triple premiership coach on this.
Anyways let's see what happens.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Last year Stacky rocked up fat, got into shape over the course of the year and finished in the ones playing good footy.

This year Stacky rocked up fat, got into shape over the course of the year and had to watch Cumbo and MoJu strut their stuff in the ones. In a final. That'll learn him, hopefully.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I am optimistic the penny has dropped and Sydney will employ a running coach and return in the shape of his life. Everyone wants to see him at his best, making Richmond a better side. He can be under no illusions about what is required of him. He can no longer harbour any delusions that anything but the best preparation will cut it. He's not going to be played just because we need him, because we don't.

If 2022 turns out to be the year Sydney Stack learns how fleeting his opportunity is and how quickly it will evaporate if he doesn't grasp it, his and our long run will benefit enormously from model citizens George and Aarts bungling us a couple of games that he should have been playing in if not for his own lack of professionalism.

Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
But his coach said no and played George who piled on failure after failure.
No offence Momo, but I just find this type of post ludicrous. How can a goose nuffie on a computer claim to understand the complexities of individual player management, team dynamics and also work rate, following instructions etc etc? There is also the loyalty factor, people dismiss it as 'love child' or whatever when it suits them but it is a key element of coaching and player-coach relationships. Coming back unfit once is a massive breach of trust. More than once is hard to come back from.

This goose nuffie on a computer can understand and appreciate Dimmas decisions on both Stacky and George.

Reactions: 9 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Firstly i dead-set love Syd, having said that, what about Syd for Junior (Willie) Rioli?

• Wow

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
No offence Momo, but I just find this type of post ludicrous. How can a goose nuffie on a computer claim to understand the complexities of individual player management, team dynamics and also work rate, following instructions etc etc? There is also the loyalty factor, people dismiss it as 'love child' or whatever when it suits them but it is a key element of coaching and player-coach relationships. Coming back unfit once is a massive breach of trust. More than once is hard to come back from.

This goose nuffie on a computer can understand and appreciate Dimmas decisions on both Stacky and George.
OK explain George?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
For argument’s sake let’s say Sydney gets another contract and hits the pre season in ripping Nik , do we look at training him up to play midfield due to our lack of talent in that area ? Im not one for moving a player who excels in an area , however with quite a few options of half back , could we better served putting DRioli or Bakes in a more permanent midfield role and have Stack play their half back roles , we should also have Brown as an option down back into the second half of the season .

I think MartYn will be gone, however id be giving the kid a chance to train with the mids all summer, imho was wasted and stalled any development at half back in the twos

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
OK explain George?
Georgie does everything he possibly can to give his limited capabilities an opportunity to shine, while on the other hand Stacky with way more capability is happy to just rock up n expect to fudge his way through.

When it comes to team culture n ethic, ya gotta be willing to put the proverbials on the line to try n help your mob get better not just during a game but in the preparation before games.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Georgie does everything he possibly can to give his limited capabilities an opportunity to shine, while on the other hand Stacky with way more capability is happy to just rock up n expect to fudge his way through.

When it comes to team culture n ethic, ya gotta be willing to put the proverbials on the line to try n help your mob get better not just during a game but in the preparation before games.
Think you’ll find Caesar posting far more positive comments about Stack’s in season training form than George’s.
You’re obviously referring purely to the condition that he turns up to preseason in and the subsequent stamina issues before the season starts.
Not sure that is relevant at the pointy end of the season when his form clearly dictated that he should have been picked before George.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Think you’ll find Caesar posting far more positive comments about Stack’s in season training form than George’s.
You’re obviously referring purely to the condition that he turns up to preseason in and the subsequent stamina issues before the season starts.
Not sure that is relevant at the pointy end of the season when his form clearly dictated that he should have been picked before George.
Without entering into the George v Stack discussion if Dimma and the match Committee were picking on form neither of them would have been picked. Jake Aarts clearly had better form than both of them at VFL level.