Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Very sad to lose Syd A Knee.
Now he's probably got an axe to grind with Richmond.
These guys get cut, then they get cut! If you catch my drift.
Stengle the same.
Suddenly got motivation to stick it up the doubters and 1st club.
Here's a thought.
Apply yourself from the get go.
Agree with an earlier post that you sense that he doesn't want to do the hard yards.
So sad.
Did Stengle have the same axe to grind with Adelaide? They were the ones that delisted him.

Reactions: 1 user

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Most damning thing in that article is describing his VFL form this year as ‘solid’ which was spot on btw. Not good enough for a 4th year AFL listed player and definitely not good enough for promotion to the main list.

Whatever Stack does from here, the club made the right call.
Hard for the club to keep him when he has not been dominating at VFL level. He had to rise to a higher level, in tune with his footy talents in order for the club to set aside his undisciplined actions from the past. Just being a good player isn't enough because we have a lot of them now , with 2 excellent recruits and 3 or 4 young ones have been recently re-signed. To keep him would have sent the wrong message because others can see flashes of brilliance mixed with low desire to push hard for 4 quarters, to really be the best he could be. Every player must be constantly working to improve their game and show they have learnt from past indiscretions or they get shown the door. We gave him more than enough chances, good luck at another club.

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
The other thing to remember, the club said (I think Blair) he'll get another shot at another club and has the talent to make another go of it.

Clearly we knew what we were doing. We'd thought it through, we knew his potential, but we knew other things about him to. And one of those
probably was, without a kick in the backside, he probably wasn't going to get "there". I still don't think he'll be able to hold it together for more than
a year, but let's see how much the fire burns.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
The correct call would be to let him go and if he doesnt get selected in the rookie draft and if we have any love for him left after 4 years of below average commitment then bring him in as a train on player for the mid season draft (If he has done the work in the off season)

No team will accept below average commitment from him from now on as he is getting past the "potential" stage

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I still have some small hope that Stacky will come back (hopefully to us) in 2024. 1 year away at home might finally turn the light bulb on.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I still have some small hope that Stacky will come back (hopefully to us) in 2024. 1 year away at home might finally turn the light bulb on.
Hope you are right, but he will need someone who is able to push him to his limits and motivate him properly. It is a big ask but to see Stack in full competitive mode again would be great

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I can't understand how players the like of Edwards, Pickett, Rioli couldn't have reached Sydney and said "hey, here's a chance and you're wasting it", and have him respond - unless he's just not really prepared to work hard. I don't think we could have had a better culturally safe environment surrounding him, been more supportive or provided good mentors.

Time to let go folks. This - as it always has been - is in Sydney's hands. Until he wants to work for his chance, he won't get it. From an external position, he just seems to be expecting opportunity to fall in his lap.

Reactions: 9 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Nothing wrong with the article and it is true that he is the most accomplished player of those non retirees delisted this year.
He is at least the equal of TS and sooner or later will be back.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Time to let go folks. This - as it always has been - is in Sydney's hands. Until he wants to work for his chance, he won't get it. From an external position, he just seems to be expecting opportunity to fall in his lap.
Way too simple and not even close.

Last edited:

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
I can't understand how players the like of Edwards, Pickett, Rioli couldn't have reached Sydney and said "hey, here's a chance and you're wasting it", and have him respond - unless he's just not really prepared to work hard. I don't think we could have had a better culturally safe environment surrounding him, been more supportive or provided good mentors.

You will find many reached out and tried to support him , but they had enough of him . Especially in the Hub ! .

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I don't know who reached out to who or didn't, but 3 years playing in the VFL without really cracking the seniors in a meaningful way tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

It's hard to tell from the outside but a lot of his issues seem to be once he was released from the club and he was then always playing catch up when he was back.

I still come back to the point that he just isn't good enough. Most of his good games came in his first season in 2019, when we were the best team in the competition.

When you are the 22nd man in the best team in the competition, playing in a side using a method designed around creating a plus one advantage, you get a lot of opportunity. With so much to deal with when playing us, he wouldn't have been mentioned in opposition analysis and they would be absolutely using his opponent to try and create an offensive advantage. Not wanting to be overly harsh but he was playing the easiest football you ever could at AFL level.

Once you get on the radar the test starts to come and he failed it. That's not unusual, but real talent then shows at VFL level and his didn't seem to.

Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
It's hard to tell from the outside but a lot of his issues seem to be once he was released from the club and he was then always playing catch up when he was back.

I still come back to the point that he just isn't good enough. Most of his good games came in his first season in 2019, when we were the best team in the competition.

When you are the 22nd man in the best team in the competition, playing in a side using a method designed around creating a plus one advantage, you get a lot of opportunity. With so much to deal with when playing us, he wouldn't have been mentioned in opposition analysis and they would be absolutely using his opponent to try and create an offensive advantage. Not wanting to be overly harsh but he was playing the easiest football you ever could at AFL level.

Once you get on the radar the test starts to come and he failed it. That's not unusual, but real talent then shows at VFL level and his didn't seem to.
I think he is good enough and probably in the best 18 when he is fit and determined
His problems are he just doesnt get himself into peak physical fitness thats required to play at that level for 4 quarters

Doesnt help when you come back to preseason behind the 8 ball

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I think he is good enough and probably in the best 18 when he is fit and determined

How do you explain his VFL form? Why doesn't he dominate there?

A third of that comp is working full time and training two evenings a week, so anyone in an AFL program doesn't have too many fitness challenges at that level.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah I've always said Pickett is the perfect peer for him. Marlion could easily have shown him from his own life experiences how life can get away from you, and to grab this opportunity with both hands. He'd have said, that he took a while to grow up, and unfortunately had to do time due to that.

It would certainly show Syd what life is like on the other side. It would then be over to him. I'm sure those discussions were had behind closed doors in Punt Road. Its just whether they are taken in, or just go out the other ear that we don't know.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne

A third of that comp is working full time and training two evenings a week, so anyone in an AFL program doesn't have too many fitness challenges at that level.
He doesnt work enough on his fitness and cannot play 4 quarters at high intensity
Just doesnt have the elite fitness level

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Its a fair call. Jake Aarts can go back to the VFL and look a level above them every time, yet Syd hasn't done that often. I think he has the ability so it does come down to hunger and will.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Yeah I've always said Pickett is the perfect peer for him. Marlion could easily have shown him from his own life experiences how life can get away from you, and to grab this opportunity with both hands. He'd have said, that he took a while to grow up, and unfortunately had to do time due to that.

It would certainly show Syd what life is like on the other side. It would then be over to him. I'm sure those discussions were had behind closed doors in Punt Road. Its just whether they are taken in, or just go out the other ear that we don't know.
Yes he’d be the perfect mentor for Syd. But, You can lead a horse to water….

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Yes he’d be the perfect mentor for Syd. But, You can lead a horse to water….
Yep. He has the talent. There is a good reason why he was overlooked in the draft. He has talent. It’s not a talent issue. Good luck to him. Hope he gets his act together. Suspect he won’t. We have spent a fair bit of time and effort in trying to keep him on the straight and narrow. There comes a time when you have to fold those cards. Suspect he will sink without trace like a lot of other very talented players who just don’t understand or are not prepared to do what is required.

Still love his hip and shoulder on Viney though…..and the look on Viney’s face afterward. Absolute GOLD.

• Love