Tactics 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tactics 2019

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Bill James said:
It needs tweaking because we have been worked out.

At the start of the year we got a goal for every 4 times inside 50, at the end of the year it was out to 1 in 6. Teams worked out how to defend our pressure. Adding Lynch and dropping back to two pressure smalls will tweak this one.

At the start of the year our backs were taking 5 or 6 contested marks per game by the end of the year it was down to 2 or 3. Teams worked out how to avoid our intercepts. Personally I think we need to lose one of Broad or Astbury for a mobile medium defender who can mark. We have Vlaus who is not mobile and Houli/Ellis/Short who can't mark. Markov or maybe even Moore or Balta could come through.

The second ruck is an issue IMHO. Grundy just belted the ball 25m when Grigg was in the ruck, everyone was watching, everyone will do that next year. I think that game is over. We will need to play someone who can stop that next year, whether its a Balta or Lynch I don't know, but goals from stoppages will become a bigger problem if we keep using a midfielder in the ruck.

I thought Collingwood defended our foward handball game really well on Friday. Thats the first time I have seen that done this year. Buckly placed a backstop out the back and instead of handballing our mids into space we were handballing them into pressure. That was seriously clever and will require some thought to counteract it next year.

Thats why I am tipping WC. They have a completely different game to Richmond. A tall foward line. An accountable not zone back line. Two tall rucks. Lowest handball to kick ratio going around. All the things Coll was good at shutting down WC don't do. It its dry I just can't see Collingwood getting close.

Agree Bill. I think the first sentence of your post sums it up for me

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
To be a constant in finals, you need depth in the middle. All our mids besides dusty are broomsticks with arms we need muscle, pack busters..
I'm spewing Townsend didn't have a tank to play in the guts.

*Grigg, short and Conca should be thanked and farewelled
*We need to time our run next year.. rest players earlier.
* Balta and Carthwaite should be regulars
* we should just load up midfielders in the draft 6 picks 5 mids one tall

E

easy_tiger

Treloar and Grundy and Goldsack have clearly enunciated what has happened.

We were out-loved.

We need to Hate.

And Hate some more.

We could probably keep things a bit bottled up and be horribly shamed when we *smile* up

Maybe even blame someone else.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I don't see how we fix the ruck issue helping Nank by bringing in Lynch.His no ruck forward and with knees to.I like the eagles set up 2 big forwards (Jack and Lynch)and two mobile rucks who work well around the ground who can go forward to. Maybe one of our kids comes in to help Nank or we recruit one from state leagues or another club.We cannot have the same scenario as this year basically 2 talls short from round 1 with Griffiths and Hammer.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
And Soldo and Chol are taking up valuable list space and VFL experience. No upside there.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
the pressure - move it forward school has been trumped by the kick - mark school.

with 6-6-6 in 2019 I reckon we need to bring in two extra talls. lynch is one, a second ruck ahould be the other.

throw in balta on a wing and we're looking seriously tall of a sudden.

you can't tread water in this game, we need to bring in the height.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Baron Samedi said:
the pressure - move it forward school has been trumped by the kick - mark school.

with 6-6-6 in 2019 I reckon we need to bring in two extra talls. lynch is one, a second ruck ahould be the other.

Yep.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Baron Samedi said:

AND speed.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
It will have to make some sort of difference, won't it? Otherwise, what's the point of bringing in such a rule?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Baron Samedi said:

You can keep repeating it, it doesn't mean it will happen. We will not be going with 2 tall forwards AND 2 rucks. Zero chance.

E

easy_tiger

WC just beat a rampant richmond clone to claim the premiership.

they played 2 genuine tall forwards and 2 genuine ruckmen.

I think they would have beaten us.

midgets are so 2017.

agree with Baz here.

Lynch and Balta starting 22, and we ramp up the speed with $hai and Oleg I reckon.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
easy said:
WC just beat a rampant richmond clone to claim the premiership.

they played 2 genuine tall forwards and 2 genuine ruckmen.

I think they would have beaten us.

midgets are so 2017.

agree with Baz here.

Lynch and Balta starting 22, and we ramp up the speed with $hai and Oleg I reckon.

I want Rhino as best 22 also, maybe not from R1 but early in the season.