Tactics 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tactics 2019

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Disco said:
The 6-6-6 is only after a goal. Gonna make FA difference.

i reckon it will.

teams will setup for quick clearances - runners off the back of the square, etc

of course you need the tall timber to take advantage.

also - watch for 666 to change tactics over the course of four quarters. last quarters in particular will be interesting.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
mrposhman said:
You can keep repeating it, it doesn't mean it will happen. We will not be going with 2 tall forwards AND 2 rucks. Zero chance.

today's result puts a fresh complexion on things I would've thought.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
easy said:
WC just beat a rampant richmond clone to claim the premiership.

they played 2 genuine tall forwards and 2 genuine ruckmen.

I think they would have beaten us.

midgets are so 2017.

agree with Baz here.

Lynch and Balta starting 22, and we ramp up the speed with $hai and Oleg I reckon.

agree easy, WC would've had our measure.

the pure turnover game is done.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Baron Samedi said:
the pressure - move it forward school has been trumped by the kick - mark school.

with 6-6-6 in 2019 I reckon we need to bring in two extra talls. lynch is one, a second ruck ahould be the other.

throw in balta on a wing and we're looking seriously tall of a sudden.

you can't tread water in this game, we need to bring in the height.

Yes the one target mosquito fillet fwd line. / one ruck all steam rolling game was not the way the eagles won.

Two tall rucks who both went fwd to stretch the defence, big bodied marking players
tagger assigned to the competitions most dangerous outside player. Who would ever think these things would work.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Baron Samedi said:
today's result puts a fresh complexion on things I would've thought.

The beauty of sport is that there ate multiple ways to win. There isn't one and only way to win games of footy else West Coast would have won every game this year.

We need to tweak our gameplan and bring a few more strings to the bow, but to throw it out completely after finishing on 18 wins, 2 games clear of the rest is crazy Vossy type stuff.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Baron Samedi said:
i reckon it will.

teams will setup for quick clearances - runners off the back of the square, etc

of course you need the tall timber to take advantage.

also - watch for 666 to change tactics over the course of four quarters. last quarters in particular will be interesting.

You can't have runners off the back of the square any longer if the new rules come in.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Some things hope to see - ruck support for nank, another big bodied mid, rioli more time in the midfield, garth helping out on the key forwards to release rance, balta given game time on the wing, pushing short forward, finding a lock down mid and another running back -( naish or markov), bolton to develop a tank to razzle dazzle at the feet of Lynch, beat pies in the 2019 GF.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Harry said:
Some things hope to see - ruck support for nank, another big bodied mid, rioli more time in the midfield, garth helping out on the key forwards to release rance, balta given game time on the wing, pushing short forward, finding a lock down mid and another running back -( naish or markov), bolton to develop a tank to razzle dazzle at the feet of Lynch, beat pies in the 2019 GF.

I'd love to see all that. It's only taken a week and a Collingwood GF loss and I'm excited about 2019!

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
A player like Balta could cover the 2nd ruck position as his leap would allow him to nullify most AFL ruckmen.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
mrposhman said:
The beauty of sport is that there ate multiple ways to win. There isn't one and only way to win games of footy else West Coast would have won every game this year.

We need to tweak our gameplan and bring a few more strings to the bow, but to throw it out completely after finishing on 18 wins, 2 games clear of the rest is crazy Vossy type stuff.

what you apparently don't understand is that the pressure game, the turnover game, relies heavily on a critical mass of numbers around the ball. the right numbers - disciplined, smart mids and forwards with excellent hands in close and four quarter tanks.

take one or two out (lynch at least will be coming in) and you upset the balance and give the oppo more chances to get out of the hot zone.

you either go all in or you change the system. there's no "tweaking" the pressure game. there's absolutely no point in half-committing to a game-winning number of turnovers. it'll be russian roulette with anything less than the number of mids / forwards we played in 2018. in fact, towards the end of the season there were signs it wasn't working anyway.

as of last Friday night (and yesterday), that can't be our one-wood anymore so we look to other potential strengths. who else has twin talls like Darling and Kennedy? Us. Let's build a new system around them.

we won't need to play Collingwood in the GF. we'll more than likely be up against WC and with the right setup we can beat them at their own game.

more ball control. more structured, methodical play. a second ruck would make sense in this scenario because we need to ensure a more consistent flow of clearances than we have been. we'll also be conceding more I50's and will need to control the air ball coming in.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Definitely need a second ruck....preferably taller than Nank. Eagles nullified the two standout ruck men three times in September with their twin talls. Possibly don't have to play them 22 weeks H&A.

I still say on averages if you have a dominant ruck in September you win. If you can break even then other strengths can be exploited.

And we need a spare anyway... Nank one player we can't afford to lose to injury.

B

Bill James

Watching the two best ruckman in the competition get worked over by a tag team of Lycett and Vardy who are no champions in two consecutive weeks of finals should give anyone pause.

I would prefer we had a Vardy type who is probably a forward ruck. Able to keep the ruckman honest but also able to push forward and be a very problematic tall forward.

Maybe CJ grows into that role, note that it took Vardy 8 years to find his niche.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I think the small setup has run its race ,

Lynch in the forward line , Garth in to free up rance as a more intercept role , and balta coming in , combined will give us more aerial strength , a few of the talls can chip in and pinch hit as ruck relief

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
kiwitiger said:

Lynch in the forward line , Garth in to free up rance as a more intercept role , and balta coming in , combined will give us more aerial strength , a few of the talls can chip in and pinch hit as ruck relief

Agree. Good that we have Lynch Balta and Garth to come into our side. We are well placed.

E

easy_tiger

Harry said:
Agree. Good that we have Lynch Balta and Garth to come into our side. We are well placed.

yep,

the year of the midget was like halleys comet.

love the idea of garth freeing up rance to push up.

Lynch - Balta - Rance new recruits with $hai disco dancing at their toes.

we will win the flag next year. Think we will beat WC in the GF.

FWIW, I dont think we will throw the baby out with the bathwater.

we invented midget chaos, and we still did it best until 9 days ago.

I think we will have a bi-forcated game.

blokes like rance, vlastuin, short and houli will decide in any given rebound if we are going chaos midget (us) or 1980's tall (WC)

if chaos midget is the signal, Jack and Lynch and Balta push up, leaving $hai and Danny and George in a Buckley's paddocks (jeez degoey and stephenson did this well)

if 80's footy is the signal, the talls line up from FF to the Centre, licking their mitts, with a little partner at their feet.

I cant wait for 2019, and I am sooooooooooo glad we picked Balta in '17 and pinched Lynch in '18.

cause the game has changed. again.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Baron Samedi said:
yes you can dude.

Maybe read the proposed rules, wingmeb must be on the edge of the square, anywhere along the edge but not at the base of the square

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
kiwitiger said:

Funny, I was thinking the highlighted part as I was watching the GF replay about same time you posted. It's time Rancey plays the Mcgovern role fully and Garthy can play as a lockdown defender.

I also agree on Balta. I had hoped he would get a run in our last two dead rubbers. The Grigg role seems perfect for him. He and Shai should work on their tanks this next pre season. We need a bit more OOOMPH to what is a very good outfit already.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
There’s something going on down at Tigerland.

All the media “experts” are talking us up as a potential top four finish, but that’s the depth of analysis. if you look deeper, something exciting happened at Metricon.

All year we’ve been hearing about the state of football and how tactical battles have descended into ball control on steroids and two teams unwilling to take risks with the ball.

Amidst of all the talk around how poor the Suns were on Saturday, I saw a team that moved the slick, Queensland ball like the Harlem Globetrotters.

Stack played midfield. Bolton pushed so high he was also playing midfield. Edwards is back doing what he does best - playing midfield.

If most teams in the eight are trying to copy west coast - I’m looking at you, Geelong and Collingwood - and currently suffocating under so many rules around transferring the pill, maybe, just maybe, we’ve stayed ahead of the curve.

Again.

Think of 2017. Flicks. Taps. Handballs into air. No recipient required, as long as it was forward. The only bloke we had who could be trusted with the ball for risky foot passes was Martin.

Our defensive bedrock is still the same. Strangle the oppo short game. Force the long kick. Turn it over and break.

But what if how we break has evolved into something less agricultural? Something more dynamic, stylish and ultimately lethal?

As the mud dries and spring beckons, I reckon Edwards, Stack and Bolton all have licences to thrill. Egg’s debut, so surprising at the time, has plenty of logic in this context.

What if Hardwick, Caracalla and co. had something cooking all this time, to be unshackled after the bye and when cold, frosty June, the month for seasoned, hard bodies, was done with?

What if the next evolution of our premiership winning game plan for is hawthorn’s kicking game but on speed?

A battery of lightly-framed artists plying their turnover trade with deadly efficiency?

I really like the look of that. What we saw at Metricon might the dawn of a seriously lethal, high-scoring side.

Controlling the opposition doesn’t put the score on the board. Scoreboard pressure is still number one and I reckon we’re in the verge of the next revolution in the game. Hopefully the RFC is Che.

Reactions: 1 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I also saw that Baron. The movement was breathtaking in the wet conditions. We scored at a pace unseen for some years in the AFL. We clearly have the fastest team going around. I am looking forward to see where this takes us.