Tactics 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tactics 2019

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
The challenge will be replicating that ball movement against higher defensive pressure. To say that GC's defence was reminiscent of witches hats would be an insult to witches hats

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
The challenge will be replicating that ball movement against higher defensive pressure. To say that GC's defence was reminiscent of witches hats would be an insult to witches hats

I reckon we are tailoring the perfect MCG game, Brissy.

Even with elite oppo pressure, those wide wings will eventually come into play.

We seem to be building an attacking midfield with a rock hard core.

Ross-CD-Graham rotating inside

Piglet second possie

Stack-Shai-bakes-sausage-egg providing electricity

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
The movement was breathtaking in the wet conditions.
I loved the way a couple of forwards would run through and out of the forward 50, while, on one occasion, Castagna circled in to the resulting space to take a mark, and, on another occasion, it was Lambert who circled in to take a mark. At times the tactic was, as Maxwell Smart would say, 'the old vacate space to create space then kick to that space because a Tiger is running into that space trick'. It may not be radically new, but it's worth perfecting.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Who would have thought that with our star players in and fit, we're still the best side as we have been for three years.

To think, some were saying Collingwood had gone past us at our own game.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Who would have thought that with our star players in and fit, we're still the best side as we have been for three years.

To think, some were saying Collingwood had gone past us at our own game.

No the best of contributions I would’ve thought.

The point is we’re running some light bodies but serious skill through the midfield at the moment. Unlike some top heavy teams in the eight.

Also, Collingwood were past us late last year and early doors this year.

Tactical trends have changed again. Hopefully we get them in three weeks.

Last edited:

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
No the best of contributions I would’ve thought.

The point is we’re running some light bodies but serious skill through the midfield at the moment. Unlike some top heavy teams in the eight.

Also, Collingwood were past us late last year and early doors this year.

Tactical trends have changed again.

That was a bit tongue in cheek Baz.

Footy is all swings and roundabouts, tactically speaking. I'm a big believer in the skill of our personnel. Longitudinally, we've shown our group is the best in the league. With periodic down patches, coinciding with a lack of fitness.

Personally, I reckon as long as we keep the mantra 'play to your strengths', our strengths are stronger than other teams strengths. Provided we haven't had half the side on a hospital drip, dusty on one leg, or our most important 5 players on the sidelines.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Like the idea of improving our connection in our forward half by playing edwards stack and bolton mid fwd but let's see how we go against better teams.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Maybe we're looking to take in a completely revamped angle into the finals.

3 tall agile marking targets AND Nank. Kick long and high.

Flipping the script to Attack Attack Attack and kick more goals.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Correct. Baron hyperbole in full force.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
All of a sudden, we have 5 blokes out there who can just waltz wherever they want in any situation.

these blokes can stop completely, study the patterns ahead of them, make a decision, change it, take off and execute,

even with 6 blokes surrounding them. They are (in order of pendlebability);

Sheds, Dusty, Stackman, $hai, Eggs

This gives us a pretty big edge.

Its an incredibly insightful recruiting strategy to accumulate blokes who play like there are no opponents,

Throw in the chaos of George and Danny in form, and over a third of our side pretty much treat the opposition with contempt and do whatever they want at will

that's gonna be pretty hard to counter in September, once we start cracking jokes and we add Marlion to the indigenous showcase.

Last edited:

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Like the commentary and I agree with it - the RFC gameplan has to reflect the horses out there on the paddock. We have small fast arabians and we need to take advantage of that. My only caveat is that we may not be quite ready to sustain this gamestyle. Sydney and Shai don't have the endurance this year to hold down a midfield role for more than a quarter or two and of course Eggs and Mabs are at the very early stages of a career in the firsts.

Only other caveat is that over a season the light players in the midfield get tagged by big hits. Look at Dan's woes this year. The likes of Zieball, Cunnington and that bastard Fyfe (no, no grudge, why do you ask?), will have a field day with our guys at the stoppages ala Cunnington vs Stocker. We do really need the anti-Fyfe (RCD) to grow up and fill-out for team balance.

Why do I have this completely unfounded hope that in 2-3 weeks we will have another hard nut midfielder with the skill of Stack and Shai?
To replace Ross who is still 3-4 away at least (you miserable git Fyfe - yes an accident, but not an unhappy one - Fyfe is like Franklin).

Last edited: