Talkin' Tactics 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talkin' Tactics 2015

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The Dogs killed our space on Saturday simply by playing extra numbers around the ball.

Because of this they were vulnerable down back IF we got the ball through quickly but due to frontal pressure we either coughed it up or were driven square, giving them time to flood back and clog our F50.

Teams have been slaying us with frontal pressure for years. You can't use this tactic against Hawthorn or Sydney because they are composed and skilled enough to slice through your extra numbers and murder you in the extra space created elsewhere.

So what's the answer?

I reckon the answer lies with Dustin Martin and Brandon Ellis playing at half back. ATM it's either Rance or Houli making the play.

So teams want to rush us?

Try rushing a 65m laser pass to the fat side, opening up space in pretty much every attacking position. Cotchin, Deledio, Edwards, Hunt and McIntosh can run into space and deliver to Griffiths, Jack, Lloyd and McDonagh / Lennon leading straight up the guts.

You have to ditch the press to do this because you need to create space in midfield.

I'm not advocating a D50 flood, but I would like to see a more of our better kicks back of the square. From there you can either play short pass triangles or give and go.

With Rance at CHB and Houli / Grimes relegated to the full back line we will have a more solid, stacked back line for cover.

At the moment turnovers kill us because teams can easily get behind the press. Dimma's preferred setup depends on ball retention.

With the setup I've described, turnovers are less costly. We'd be the ones rebounding.

North do this well, they got to the prelim final doing it, but I reckon we have a better list.

Can Dimma adapt?

DeathNinthandTaxes

Richmond 'till we die
Nov 4, 2007
Carter said:
Had to look it up ;D

I do believe Craig McDermott was the original exponent of Fartlek running, particularly on ball release.
Merv Hughes i believe. That and not pissing on his hands.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Carter said:
The Dogs killed our space on Saturday simply by playing extra numbers around the ball.

Because of this they were vulnerable down back IF we got the ball through quickly but due to frontal pressure we either coughed it up or were driven square, giving them time to flood back and clog our F50.

Teams have been slaying us with frontal pressure for years. You can't use this tactic against Hawthorn or Sydney because they are composed and skilled enough to slice through your extra numbers and murder you in the extra space created elsewhere.

So what's the answer?

I reckon the answer lies with Dustin Martin and Brandon Ellis playing at half back. ATM it's either Rance or Houli making the play.

So teams want to rush us?

Try rushing a 65m laser pass to the fat side, opening up space in pretty much every attacking position. Cotchin, Deledio, Edwards, Hunt and McIntosh can run into space and deliver to Griffiths, Jack, Lloyd and McDonagh / Lennon leading straight up the guts.

You have to ditch the press to do this because you need to create space in midfield.

I'm not advocating a D50 flood, but I would like to see a more of our better kicks back of the square. From there you can either play short pass triangles or give and go.

With Rance at CHB and Houli / Grimes relegated to the full back line we will have a more solid, stacked back line for cover.

At the moment turnovers kill us because teams can easily get behind the press. Dimma's preferred setup depends on ball retention.

With the setup I've described, turnovers are less costly. We'd be the ones rebounding.

North do this well, they got to the prelim final doing it, but I reckon we have a better list.

Can Dimma adapt?
Not bad thoughts at all Carts.. However we have been very good at ball retention and contested ball over the past year with some notable failures like last week. Had we kicked better we would have won the game. No question. But, and it's a big but, we have no other plan like you have outlined. I was screaming this last week. I would have preferred to lose by 40 points if we were willing to try another way. Hardwick always plays the percentages. We don't win by big margins but we don't lose these days by big margins either.

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
I agree with Carter we need to have better kicks in the back half. Our success rate will be better as our forwards will get a 50/50 contest which gives them a real chance - in a 50/50 Jack, Griff, Lloyd, Lids, Martin etc will win more than they lose..

After watching the replay of last week the kicking effectiveness of most of our backline was terrible. Although I must say all credit to Rance. In the past I have regarded him as a woeful kick and sometimes a poor decision maker. No evidence of either in the 2 games this year

pervian

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 12, 2007
Tactics for 2015 bottom out pick up the best kpp going and go hard after free agent shiels and sack Dimma get Mat Knights back to the club have a real crack 2016

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
pervian said:
Tactics for 2015 bottom out pick up the best kpp going and go hard after free agent shiels and sack Dimma get Mat Knights back to the club have a real crack 2016

yep. With Rance goin as a FA, talk of Cotch going to the Hawks. If we tank and land Pick 1, Rance compo will be pick 2. Cotch worth 2 x top 15 picks. We can have 4 Top 15 picks.

Actually, isn't 2015 the 10year anniversary of when we recruited "The Fab Four" ? Polo, Meyer, Pattison and, um, I forget

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
DirtyDogTiger said:
Inside 50 stats this year
54 (15 goals) , 54 (9) 57 (21).

It's good to have the consistency going into our forward zone
-

Interesting - so the lesson from the doggies game?

- from memory we took plenty of marks inside 50 also in that game but I can't remember us missing heaps (like we did in the melb Hafey game last year for example)

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The corridor.

Own it we play well, give it up and we are rubbish.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
DirtyDogTiger said:
Inside 50 stats this year
54 (15 goals) , 54 (9) 57 (21).

It's good to have the consistency going into our forward zone

I reckon Melbourne will try and do to us what Dogs did last week.

Crowd the forward line, allow us to rack up possessions across half back and through the middle and then rely on a turnover or lack of f50 crumbers to burn us the other way. Its how they beat us last year.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
"I'm a big believer that confidence is about scoring. If you're not scoring you lose confidence, and once you lose it, whether you're defending a stoppage or playing attacking football, it just seems to disappear."

- Ken Hinkley

We have scored more than 100 points 2 out of 3 times this season.

The test will come against Melbourne. They will look to deny us from scoring, as the Dogs did two weeks ago. Teams that focus on denying us tend to do rather well IMO.

Do we have a structure that delivers four goals a quarter?

I can't wait to find out.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Tiggers were 'switched on' against Brisbane.
Attacked the ball, tackle pressure caused turnovers .........

I knew in first five minutes that we would win easily.

Test for Hardwick is if he get them doing this consistantly.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Carter said:
"I'm a big believer that confidence is about scoring. If you're not scoring you lose confidence, and once you lose it, whether you're defending a stoppage or playing attacking football, it just seems to disappear."

- Ken Hinkley

We have scored more than 100 points 2 out of 3 times this season.

The test will come against Melbourne. They will look to deny us from scoring, as the Dogs did two weeks ago. Teams that focus on denying us tend to do rather well IMO.

Do we have a structure that delivers four goals a quarter?

I can't wait to find out.
Only Hawthorn (by 18 points) and Adelaide (by 2) have outscored us so far this year. However, we have played the two teams that will probably fill the last two spots on the ladder. As you say, Melbourne will try too do what the Dogs did. Let's see if we've learned.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
TigerMad said:
Tiggers were 'switched on' against Brisbane.
Attacked the ball, tackle pressure caused turnovers .........

I knew in first five minutes that we would win easily.

Test for Hardwick is if he get them doing this consistantly.

If we come out and think we will just do enough to get the 4pts then forget it. A loss is on the cards. if we can play with the same flare as Saturday night, all be it with an inexperienced Lions outfit, then we will win more games than we loose. Roos will strangle the crap out of us on Friday night and we can easily revert back to a bomb and home pray style (like the Dogs game) and then watch them rebound at will. A lock down on Lumbumba is a must and possibly time for Hunt to lock down Jones or whom ever else is winning plenty of the ball too.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
spook said:
Only Hawthorn (by 18 points) and Adelaide (by 2) have outscored us so far this year. However, we have played the two teams that will probably fill the last two spots on the ladder. As you say, Melbourne will try too do what the Dogs did. Let's see if we've learned.

We simply need to slice through these teams who park the bus to try and slingshot the other way. We will never be top four otherwise.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Massive game this week.

We were on a hiding to nothing against Brisbane, but the stakes are huge against Melbourne. Win and we reach the end of our first block a mildly disappointing, but still respectable, 3-1. Lose and the coach's authority MUST be questioned by both officials and players.

Melbourne have been dragging us down to their level for years now. Whatever your take on how good we are, surely there is unanimous agreement that we should be winning and winning comfortably against these teams.

Quite simply, Dimma needs to find a way through the maze. If the only way to score heavily against Melbourne is to ditch the press, sag back, and create space in our F50 to run into then bloody well do it.

If we continue to let teams fill our F50 to the brim then we will always be vulnerable to low scoring losses where we dominate the stats in every way but on the scoreboard.

What's in the kit bag, Dimma?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Carter said:
If we continue to let teams fill our F50 to the brim then we will always be vulnerable to low scoring losses where we dominate the stats in every way but on the scoreboard.

What's in the kit bag, Dimma?

We can't stop Melb flooding our backline - against Adelaide they started each bounce with 2 EXTRA players back - so it is a given I reckon on Friday night - they want to score against us on the rebound.

The key is to convert any marks we get in the forward 50 - we seem to be doing alright in inside 50 marks so far this season. Our shots on goal will win it or lose it tomorrow night - our 9 goals 20 lost it last year - despite playing pathetically we should have still walked away with the pts in 2014.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
This week

Negate Brown,
Lock it inside 50, they have some very good spoiling defenders and I'm hoping Edwards, Newman, Dusty, Cotch etc are in the right sports to pick up what I suspect will be a lot of loose balls inside our 50.

Like the though of Griff with the ball just forward of wing, and off 2-3 steps BANG, and the ball is 65-70m down the ground with Jack and Lloyed vs their direct opponents. Flood busting quick inside 50 play

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
DirtyDogTiger said:
Lloyd Riewoldt and Griffiths can all score from outside the 50m line. Should we have a crack at that?

Grifiths yes, Lloyd maybe and Riewoldt no Ellis, MacIntosh and Houli can so maybe play through them.