Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Until recently I was one of the people with the good fortune to be basically using super as a tax haven to build an inheritance for my kids.

I'd imagine the vast majority of those people will load up on contributions before it kicks in, then let it sit and have their accountants find another loophole.

It's a bit like dealing with drug dealers, rich people always find a new way to exploit the system.
Howard and Costello allowing the top end of town to put a lump sum of $1 million into superannuation went against what superannuation was meant for when Hawke and Keating made superannuation compulsory. Howard and Costello's fat cat mates loaded up to the max.

"Treasurer Peter Costello has announced the details of transitional rules governing changes to superannuation that aim to cut tax on end benefits.
In a bid to cut tax from lump sum payments or pensions drawn from superannuation, the government proposes to bring in changes next July.
Under transitional rules announced today, people will be able to put up to $1 million into their superannuation before the end of this financial year.

"For people who were planning a large payment into superannuation under the current rules and would have become subject to the contribution limits, we are announcing that subject to any applicable work test, they will be able to put $1 million of post-tax contributions into superannuation before the 30th of June 2007," he said"

Until recently I was one of the people with the good fortune to be basically using super as a tax haven to build an inheritance for my kids.

I'd imagine the vast majority of those people will load up on contributions before it kicks in, then let it sit and have their accountants find another loophole.

It's a bit like dealing with drug dealers, rich people always find a new way to exploit the system.
You had first hand experience with drug dealers then ?.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
As way of background, I tend to find I am slightly left of current economic orthodoxy but to the right of current social/cultural orthodoxy and issues to do with security/crime etc. Hence I struggle to place my vote.

Regarding the superannuation announcement, I think $3mil is still a pretty generous threshold.
It only rises to 30% taxation at $3mil anyway. So still a concession below what someone’s marginal tax rate (45%) would be as a high income earner.

Personally, I’d have brought it down to $1.5mil receiving the full concession, then brackets progressively working towards 30% tax rate between $1.5mil and $3mil.

Hence you might end up with something like this.

<= $1.5mil 15%
$1.5m to $2.25m 20%
$2.25m to $3mil 25%
$3mil+ 30%

That said, I can see why the ALP wouldn’t do that. They are trying to find the sweet spot to wedge the Opposition.

That said, I can see why the ALP wouldn’t do that. They are trying to find the sweet spot to wedge the Opposition.
Yeah, it's been an interesting move. Libs and Media struggling to get much traction with their wailing, ALP happy to see them turn themselves inside out.

"Broken Promise" is the latest thrust from what I can see, but, really, the ex-government wailing about broken promises? LOL

Minister wanted to ‘double down’ when robo-debt problems revealed, hearing told​

A public service culture of reward and punishment could have led senior officers to stay quiet about the unlawful robo-debt scheme, a royal commission has been told.

When problems with the scheme were revealed, former minister Stuart Robert wanted to “double down” rather than apologise and correct the error, the hearing was told.

Renee Leon, a former human services department secretary who is now vice-chancellor of Charles Sturt University, appeared before the commission on Tuesday. She became secretary in October 2017, two years into the scheme’s operation.

Professor Leon said the briefing given upon her appointment did not raise any issues with the scheme and she was shocked when she received advice from the solicitor-general that the program was unlawful.

Because it was already established when she took the position, Leon expected any problems had been properly examined before the scheme was implemented.

In her experience, rigorous processes within the public service were designed to stop an unlawful scheme from going ahead. This includes the secretary assuring the minister who in turn assured cabinet the policy risks had been considered and were lawful.

Former Liberal MP Michael Keenan, human services minister while Leon was secretary, told the commission that he trusted his department to provide him with the necessary legal advice.

He said he didn’t think he could access any advice given to cabinet about the proposal before he became a minister.

Commissioner Catherine Holmes said had Keenan looked at the advice, he would have seen it didn’t include a legal opinion about income averaging used to calculate the debts.

Keenan said he did not give any weight to media reports throughout 2018 raising problems with the scheme because he trusted his department.

“I had very firm views about the ability of my department to advise me correctly.

“I had great faith in their ability to do that and that was the basis on which I formed my views about the legality of the program,” Keenan said

He was also unaware debt collectors told robo-debt victims that they faced interest charges or travel bans if they did not pay up.
When the program was discovered to be unlawful, Leon advised Robert that the department should apologise to customers, admit the error and inform the public of steps to correct it.
She remembered Robert replied: “We absolutely will not be doing that. We will double down.”
Leon said some ministers suggested ending the robo-debt program while not repaying debts or telling anyone unless people appealed, but she felt this was inconsistent with legal obligations.

Asked what could have led to the scheme continuing for so long, Leon said it was possible senior officers asked themselves the wrong questions about its lawfulness.
But she also raised the possibility people could have doubted the legality, but were reluctant to withdraw such a popular proposal that had promised to raise billions of dollars.
“I hope that’s not the case, because the public service ought to have some red lines and lawfulness is one of them,” she said.
Leon said, in her experience, former Coalition ministers would stop speaking to secretaries and refuse to deal with them if they presented “unhelpful” advice, whereas officers “responsive” to their policy agenda would be “rewarded”.
“It wasn’t popular to give advice to the (former) government that what they were trying to do was wrong,” she said.

Leon said the rewards included promotions to high-profile government departmental roles.
She believed her determination to provide “frank and fearless” advice to former coalition government ministers contributed to her employment being terminated in 2019.

What a despicable government the Morrison government was. :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Albo off to India for the fourth Test where Indian PM has reserved 8500 tickets for Albo faithfull.

Minister wanted to ‘double down’ when robo-debt problems revealed, hearing told​

A public service culture of reward and punishment could have led senior officers to stay quiet about the unlawful robo-debt scheme, a royal commission has been told.

When problems with the scheme were revealed, former minister Stuart Robert wanted to “double down” rather than apologise and correct the error, the hearing was told.

Renee Leon, a former human services department secretary who is now vice-chancellor of Charles Sturt University, appeared before the commission on Tuesday. She became secretary in October 2017, two years into the scheme’s operation.

Professor Leon said the briefing given upon her appointment did not raise any issues with the scheme and she was shocked when she received advice from the solicitor-general that the program was unlawful.

Because it was already established when she took the position, Leon expected any problems had been properly examined before the scheme was implemented.

In her experience, rigorous processes within the public service were designed to stop an unlawful scheme from going ahead. This includes the secretary assuring the minister who in turn assured cabinet the policy risks had been considered and were lawful.

Former Liberal MP Michael Keenan, human services minister while Leon was secretary, told the commission that he trusted his department to provide him with the necessary legal advice.

He said he didn’t think he could access any advice given to cabinet about the proposal before he became a minister.

Commissioner Catherine Holmes said had Keenan looked at the advice, he would have seen it didn’t include a legal opinion about income averaging used to calculate the debts.

Keenan said he did not give any weight to media reports throughout 2018 raising problems with the scheme because he trusted his department.

“I had very firm views about the ability of my department to advise me correctly.

“I had great faith in their ability to do that and that was the basis on which I formed my views about the legality of the program,” Keenan said

He was also unaware debt collectors told robo-debt victims that they faced interest charges or travel bans if they did not pay up.
When the program was discovered to be unlawful, Leon advised Robert that the department should apologise to customers, admit the error and inform the public of steps to correct it.
She remembered Robert replied: “We absolutely will not be doing that. We will double down.”
Leon said some ministers suggested ending the robo-debt program while not repaying debts or telling anyone unless people appealed, but she felt this was inconsistent with legal obligations.

Asked what could have led to the scheme continuing for so long, Leon said it was possible senior officers asked themselves the wrong questions about its lawfulness.
But she also raised the possibility people could have doubted the legality, but were reluctant to withdraw such a popular proposal that had promised to raise billions of dollars.
“I hope that’s not the case, because the public service ought to have some red lines and lawfulness is one of them,” she said.
Leon said, in her experience, former Coalition ministers would stop speaking to secretaries and refuse to deal with them if they presented “unhelpful” advice, whereas officers “responsive” to their policy agenda would be “rewarded”.
“It wasn’t popular to give advice to the (former) government that what they were trying to do was wrong,” she said.

Leon said the rewards included promotions to high-profile government departmental roles.
She believed her determination to provide “frank and fearless” advice to former coalition government ministers contributed to her employment being terminated in 2019.

What a despicable government the Morrison government was. :mad:
Why ?. Enlighten me ?.

Sports rorts, Urban Congestion Fund, the Morrison government were rotten to the core.

6.45am

Morrison-era fund earmarked 80 per cent of projects for Liberal seats​

By Shane Wright​

A Morrison government fund to reduce traffic congestion across the country allocated 83 per cent of its projects – worth almost $3 billion – to Liberal-held seats, while suffering from huge cost blowouts and ongoing delays.

The federal Infrastructure Department, in answer to a large number of questions from a Labor MP, has revealed just a quarter of the money set aside in the $4.8 billion Urban Congestion Fund ended up being promised to Labor-held seats over the past four years.

The fund was established in the 2018-19 budget with a price tag of $1 billion. By the end of 2019, it had grown to $4.8 billion with a stated objective improving “pinch points” and traffic safety while also increasing the efficiency of urban commuter and freight movements.

Four of these projects were pledged to the Melbourne seat of Aston in the run-up to the 2019 election: a $4 million upgrade to Boronia Rd and a $1m car park in Ferntree Gully are still on track, while $3.5 million for Napoleon Road and $6.5 million for a Dorset Road extension were both spiked in the Albanese government’s October 2022 budget.

The shelved road projects have now become a key focus in the Aston byelection after federal Infrastructure Minister Catherine King confirmed Labor would not build them, while Liberal candidate Roshena Campbell has promised to fight for the road upgrades.

The congestion fund included the commuter car park fund, originally slated to cost $500 million, which was the focus of a scathing auditor-general’s report. However, the congestion fund has not been subject to independent scrutiny.

The infrastructure department, in answers to questions from Labor’s Julian Hill who heads the parliament’s public accounts committee, identified 173 projects under the fund.

Of those, 10 – worth a combined $571.6 million – were spread across electorates held by both major parties.

Labor-held seats attracted 26 projects worth a combined $954 million, the seat of Melbourne held by Greens leader Adam Bandt was promised one project worth $5 million, while the independent seat of Clark in Tasmania was also promised a single project worth $13.5 million.

Under the fund, 136 Liberal-held electorates were promised works worth a combined $2.7 billion.

While many of the projects include commuter car parks, there are also dozens worth tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. They include a $144 million commitment to a road project in the then-Liberal-held seat of Hasluck in WA and a $50 million pledge in the then-Liberal-held seat of Reid in Sydney.
Hill said the response by the department was damning.

“They ran a giant, stupendous, humongous, massive, colossal, vast, immense, mammoth, gigantic slush fund that treated taxpayers’ funds as Liberal election cash,” he told this masthead.
“Communities suffering from congestion are right to be angry that they didn’t have a chance to apply and that there was no transparency to this dodgy process.”

Opposition infrastructure spokeswoman Bridget McKenzie said the Albanese government had reviewed all Urban Congestion Fund projects ahead of the October budget last year.
“As a result of that review, the Labor government has decided to continue to deliver the bulk of the Urban Congestion Fund projects, which have been rebranded as part of the broader Infrastructure Investment program,” she said.

“In total, 107 Urban Congestion Fund projects worth $2.96 billion have been retained by Labor, including 60 projects that are in the ‘in planning’ stage and 47 projects that are in the ‘under construction’ or ‘underway’ stage at the time of the review.

“Of the 10 commuter carparks projects that are still in the planning stage, seven are in Labor electorates and four in Liberal electorates including one that is shared by two electorates.”

The details provided by the infrastucture department also reveal the inaccuracy of the original cost estimates used to budget projects inside the fund.
Of the more than 170 projects, there were funding variations in 96 of them.

In some cases, the original estimates proved far too low. An upgrade to the Leach Highway in the then Liberal-held seat of Swan in Western Australia was originally forecast to cost $46.5 million. It is now estimated to cost $68 million.
In 2019, the then-government expected a road upgrade in Penrith in the Liberal-held seat of Lindsay to cost $63.5 million. It is now forecast to cost $127.7 million.

Some projects, promised in 2019, are not expected to be completed until 2026 or 2027.
On coming to office, the new government decided to axe 19 projects. The government had spent $61.8 million on these projects which were worth almost $600 million.

There is still almost $900 million in unallocated cash in the congestion fund.

That about sums him up. Mr Integrity.

What's so bad about that statement is he wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

Reactions: 1 users
That about sums him up. Mr Integrity.

What's so bad about that statement is he wouldn't see anything wrong with it.
Not once in the whole Robodebt fiasco has there been any contrition from politicians about the harm it caused.
We are hearing about whether it was legal or not but even if it was legal it caused false debts, cost people caught up in it so much including in some cases their lives.
The complete lack of empathy both whilst it was happening and since is to me the most sickening aspect of all.
The LNP is showing us what they are really about. They have no contrition about ruining the lives of some of the most disadvantaged and then want to protect the incomes of 80,000 people with more than $3 million in superannuation.
They have no shame

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Sports rorts, Urban Congestion Fund, the Morrison government were rotten to the core.

6.45am

By Shane Wright​

A Morrison government fund to reduce traffic congestion across the country allocated 83 per cent of its projects – worth almost $3 billion – to Liberal-held seats, while suffering from huge cost blowouts and ongoing delays.

The federal Infrastructure Department, in answer to a large number of questions from a Labor MP, has revealed just a quarter of the money set aside in the $4.8 billion Urban Congestion Fund ended up being promised to Labor-held seats over the past four years.

The fund was established in the 2018-19 budget with a price tag of $1 billion. By the end of 2019, it had grown to $4.8 billion with a stated objective improving “pinch points” and traffic safety while also increasing the efficiency of urban commuter and freight movements.

Four of these projects were pledged to the Melbourne seat of Aston in the run-up to the 2019 election: a $4 million upgrade to Boronia Rd and a $1m car park in Ferntree Gully are still on track, while $3.5 million for Napoleon Road and $6.5 million for a Dorset Road extension were both spiked in the Albanese government’s October 2022 budget.

The shelved road projects have now become a key focus in the Aston byelection after federal Infrastructure Minister Catherine King confirmed Labor would not build them, while Liberal candidate Roshena Campbell has promised to fight for the road upgrades.

The congestion fund included the commuter car park fund, originally slated to cost $500 million, which was the focus of a scathing auditor-general’s report. However, the congestion fund has not been subject to independent scrutiny.

The infrastructure department, in answers to questions from Labor’s Julian Hill who heads the parliament’s public accounts committee, identified 173 projects under the fund.

Of those, 10 – worth a combined $571.6 million – were spread across electorates held by both major parties.

Labor-held seats attracted 26 projects worth a combined $954 million, the seat of Melbourne held by Greens leader Adam Bandt was promised one project worth $5 million, while the independent seat of Clark in Tasmania was also promised a single project worth $13.5 million.

Under the fund, 136 Liberal-held electorates were promised works worth a combined $2.7 billion.

While many of the projects include commuter car parks, there are also dozens worth tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. They include a $144 million commitment to a road project in the then-Liberal-held seat of Hasluck in WA and a $50 million pledge in the then-Liberal-held seat of Reid in Sydney.

“They ran a giant, stupendous, humongous, massive, colossal, vast, immense, mammoth, gigantic slush fund that treated taxpayers’ funds as Liberal election cash,” he told this masthead.
“Communities suffering from congestion are right to be angry that they didn’t have a chance to apply and that there was no transparency to this dodgy process.”

Opposition infrastructure spokeswoman Bridget McKenzie said the Albanese government had reviewed all Urban Congestion Fund projects ahead of the October budget last year.
“As a result of that review, the Labor government has decided to continue to deliver the bulk of the Urban Congestion Fund projects, which have been rebranded as part of the broader Infrastructure Investment program,” she said.

“In total, 107 Urban Congestion Fund projects worth $2.96 billion have been retained by Labor, including 60 projects that are in the ‘in planning’ stage and 47 projects that are in the ‘under construction’ or ‘underway’ stage at the time of the review.

“Of the 10 commuter carparks projects that are still in the planning stage, seven are in Labor electorates and four in Liberal electorates including one that is shared by two electorates.”

The details provided by the infrastucture department also reveal the inaccuracy of the original cost estimates used to budget projects inside the fund.

In some cases, the original estimates proved far too low. An upgrade to the Leach Highway in the then Liberal-held seat of Swan in Western Australia was originally forecast to cost $46.5 million. It is now estimated to cost $68 million.
In 2019, the then-government expected a road upgrade in Penrith in the Liberal-held seat of Lindsay to cost $63.5 million. It is now forecast to cost $127.7 million.

Some projects, promised in 2019, are not expected to be completed until 2026 or 2027.
On coming to office, the new government decided to axe 19 projects. The government had spent $61.8 million on these projects which were worth almost $600 million.

Of course Labor when in power do not pork barrell funds

6.45am

By Shane Wright​

Of course Labor do not pork barrel Labor held seats during there term in office. Squeaky clean as my electorate Brand has never had a brass razoo from them.

Of course Labor do not pork barrel Labor held seats during there term in office. Squeaky clean as my electorate Brand has never had a brass razoo from them.
A good working class area is Brand, has been held by Labor for 40 years.

Of course they do Tigaman but I suspect we have never seen pork barrelling on this scale before.

The point about it is that it is wrong for any government to do it and working out who is worse is largely irrelevant because we should condemn it no matter who it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A good working class area is Brand, has been held by Labor for 40 years.
Brand the blind deaf & dumb electorate of Oz. Ewe could put up a ewe as a Labor candidate & it would shoo in. We got Madeleine King at the moment Only time you see her is her mug shot on the local rag week in week out. Prior to that out of towner Minister Gary Grey. Before that Kim Beazely. Kim was seated at Swan but Labor was in big crap there so he done a runner from Swan & plonked himself in Labor's La La Land Brand. State WA Premier Little Mac McGowan local member . Got 87% of the vote last election .Putin cannot even get that. A canal & marina project was mooted at Mangles Bay. Greenies said it was at Point Peron. Little Mac did not give it the nod as he believed the Greens. Developers got about $12 mill compensation then a north of the river lot got the nod for a marina complex which is so over budget not funny. What you want to be in is a swinging seat then the budget gurus listen. Latest wokey wokey news from Fed Labor is to cull out the live sheep trade which is the back stop of farmers in WA. Last three grain crops have been records but there has been some very drought conditions in consecutive years . Local Libs cannot say much for them. No local policy like getting the Lark Hill horse training racing complex up & running as a racecourse. Has a straight six like Flemington. Plenty of other land space there to put in motor racing complex instead of that 58 sec lapper at Wanneroo. Point Peron some great walking trails there but nothing else. Never promoted on the media. I came here 1978 12000 in the district now 135000 & growing. Good mixture with plenty of chaff & bogans. Great place to live but politically non event.

Most probably when export ban takes place there will be an excess of about three million sheep. They will not be slaughtered as that would be animal cruelty so Minister Murray Watt will decree the sheep will be donated free of charge to Australian households with lawns. This also will cull emmissions from pesky lawn mowers

I do not care what your opinion is on The Voice, but do think it is inappropriate for sporting bodies, like the AFL to support one side, yes or no.
They should not be an advocate for anything political.
Run the football and leave politics to the politicians.
If one of the employees has an opinion then by all means let him or her express their views under their own name.
Question? Is the AFL speaking for all their employees or the players from all clubs?

• Love
I do not care what your opinion is on The Voice, but do think it is inappropriate for sporting bodies, like the AFL to support one side, yes or no.
They should not be an advocate for anything political.
Run the football and leave politics to the politicians.
If one of the employees has an opinion then by all means let him or her express their views under their own name.
Question? Is the AFL speaking for all their employees or the players from all clubs?

Couldn't disagree more and I thought Gill McLachlan spoke brilliantly on this today.

Basically said the AFL doesn't apologise for taking these stances and anyone who feels differently about these issues isn't that welcome at the footy.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifest...s/news-story/ada6428d6a646641a63712af89ec34b1

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users