Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

I ended up voting independent and preferenced labor.

Labor seems to have made a pretty good start but they didn’t have to do much to do better than the previous guys.
Same. Just coulde not possibly support a Morrison led party.

Reactions: 1 user
Comparing primary votes between any election is a but nonsensical, there are many factors- did they run candidates in every seat? did they try in every seat? how many candidates were there in each seat? how many viable candidates were there in each seat? how many of those candidates were competing with Labor for primary votes?

obviously more and more people are voting for minor parties/independents now, some because they dont want either major party to be in government, other because it is "cool", and for others it is a "protest" vote of sorts but knowing that either Labor or the Libs will still form government.

at the end of the day Labor achieved their aim- they won with a big majority, and if they do a decent job have set themselves up for a long stint in government, regardless of their primary vote.

Yep, the ALP ran completely dead in my electorate, did not try at all, I'm not sure we even got 1 leaflet in the mail box. In contrast the Libs were sending us something every day (after maybe 1 leaflet for the whole election campaign in previous years because it is such a safe seat, or was). The Lib campaign still failed. The ALP primary vote was well down in all the Teal electorates because they were running dead.

Ignoring that factor is ignoring reality.

I mean, if you really want some perspective on the way the LNP performed at the last election compared to the ALP, consider this:
  • The LNP no longer hold the seats that cover Brighton, Caulfield South, Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Vaucluse, Elizabeth Bay, Point Piper, Darling Point, Bronte, Bondi, Lane Cove, Willoughby, Woolwich, Kirribilli, Kew, Balwyn, Camberwell, Hawthorn, Manly, Mosman, Neutral Bay, Dalkeith, Peppermint Grove, Mosman Park, Cottesloe, Claremont, CIty Beach, Scarborough, and the seat if Indi which was held by conservatives from Federation to Cathy McGowan. FFS, all of those suburbs are prime LNP territory, they simply should not lose any seat which contains those suburbs.
  • The ALP won a majority in the lower house.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
They just can't read the room. Guess we aren't still in the 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s or 00s

I've voted liberal a lot, but with a right wing religious takeover / core of people in leadership - even at 30-40% levels can't see them ever getting my vote again. No wonder we have tax concessions for churches.

This clown is at it again. The crowd let be known that they had zero support for it.

Show pony
The Patrick Dangerfield of politics.
”Look at me, look at me”

Reactions: 2 users
Australian's who have superannuation balances above $3 million will pay 30 per cent tax from June 30 2025, instead of the current 15%.

Smart move by Labour to bring it in after the next election. With all the bleating that the Liberals have been doing, what will they do? It's going to raise $2 Billion a year, a nice nest egg for election promises for Labour, and $2 Billion less for the Liberals if they promise to scrap it.

Smart people are the country people,can't say the same for metro:whistle:

Right winger using Eureka flag as avatar. You really are a full on cooker, aren’t you?

Australian's who have superannuation balances above $3 million will pay 30 per cent tax from June 30 2025, instead of the current 15%.

Smart move by Labour to bring it in after the next election. With all the bleating that the Liberals have been doing, what will they do? It's going to raise $2 Billion a year, a nice nest egg for election promises for Labour, and $2 Billion less for the Liberals if they promise to scrap it.

Angus Taylor has been made to look a fool over this.

But on another note, it kinda feels like a bit of a testing of the waters for Labor. We know the Murdoch Media will go full feral and play the hypocritical “Class Warfare” card. But if this ends up being well received (as it should), lets hope it motivates them to take another look at Franking Credits and negative gearing.

Reactions: 2 users
Right winger using Eureka flag as avatar. You really are a full on cooker, aren’t you?

But on another note, it kinda feels like a bit of a testing of the waters for Labor. We know the Murdoch Media will go full feral and play the hypocritical “Class Warfare” card. But if this ends up being well received (as it should), lets hope it motivates them to take another look at Franking Credits and negative gearing.
The stage 3 tax cuts might be on the "delay" list hopefully

Not only that, 30% is still a concessional tax rate so it should mean those with large super balances still put their money into super - hopefully they will still pay the tax because super income is very difficult to hide.

Stage 3 tax cuts should be delayed for at least 200 years!

DS

Reactions: 3 users

I reckon we need to be careful with the language Ian.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with franking credits, they ensure that company profits are not taxed twice and they (should) ensure company profits paid as dividends are never taxed more than the higher of the the recipient’s marginal tax rate and the company tax rate. This is what Keating brought in and it makes absolute sense.
The issue is when franking credits are paid as a cash refund when a dividend recipient’s marginal tax rate is less than the company tax rate. That is a rort and means some profits end up not being taxed as all.
The liberals (and particularly Tim Wilson) were clever at labelling franking credits as being under attack when that was not the case, and it scared a lot of people.

Until recently I was one of the people with the good fortune to be basically using super as a tax haven to build an inheritance for my kids.

I'd imagine the vast majority of those people will load up on contributions before it kicks in, then let it sit and have their accountants find another loophole.

It's a bit like dealing with drug dealers, rich people always find a new way to exploit the system.

The costs of tax concessions on superannuation are now on par with the cost of the whole aged pension in Australia. That cost will only balloon.
One of the reasons the labor party brought in compulsory super was that the cost of the pension was going to balloon as the population aged. We now have created an even bigger problem.
It has to be addressed. No choice

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The costs of tax concessions on superannuation are now on par with the cost of the whole aged pension in Australia. That cost will only balloon.
One of the reasons the labor party brought in compulsory super was that the cost of the pension was going to balloon as the population aged. We now have created an even bigger problem.
It has to be addressed. No choice
Hardly gives any confidence to the notion that the liberal party are better financial managers than labor.