Taylor walker /Crows ?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Taylor walker /Crows ??

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Don't need to read nothing
He did wrong, he has apologised, he has been suspended and let's get over it. There's more serious *smile* going on.
Would we be acting the same if Walker was a Richmond player??

Let's get it over with?

A lot more work to be done.

Let this be a catalyst for serious work on racism. Walker didn't just have a slip of the tongue, what he said revealed just how widespread racism is in this country, just talk to any indigenous people and you will know. I work with a number of indigenous people and what really upsets me is just how thankful they are when I treat them the same as everyone else, they are just not used to getting the same level of help as everyone else and I find that profoundly depressing.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
He’s out the door. Certain people on the board didn’t want him a few months back when he complain about Matty Nicks. Said he wasn’t up to it as a coach and the players in the leadership group wanted him gone and he lost the players.
Turned out most of it was BS.
Been rocking the boat too much and causing some internal fighting.
Explains why the club came out and made this public and reported matter to the AFL.
Crows boss has came out and said Tex is no certainty be at the club next year.
club have stuck it to him good.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Let's get it over with?

A lot more work to be done.

Let this be a catalyst for serious work on racism. Walker didn't just have a slip of the tongue, what he said revealed just how widespread racism is in this country, just talk to any indigenous people and you will know. I work with a number of indigenous people and what really upsets me is just how thankful they are when I treat them the same as everyone else, they are just not used to getting the same level of help as everyone else and I find that profoundly depressing.

DS

Racism is huge and let's face it instead of getting better its getting worse.
Its a world issue not just in the AFL.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Certainly is, and social media seems to make these things worse.

Oh, well, we just need to keep pushing back against racism.

DS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Certainly is, and social media seems to make these things worse.

Oh, well, we just need to keep pushing back against racism.

DS
How many times has a star of the game in Betts come out and to try to stop it in the AFL??
Ive lost count. Till there are higher ramifications for the people doing it. it will continue.
Who was last person in Australia convicted of racism??
It's gone past 'education'. It's a cheap excuse now. We educated them before and while in the AFL.
If we lose people like Betts, Rioli's, Ryans from the game. They might else well pack it up

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
One of my best friends is of Italian decent and his Dad was born there and still has quite broken english. He's an incredibally intelligent and proud man (his dad). I once naively said to my friend, that the italian community has assimilated well, in as much as they had found there own identity and taken back a lot of the racist garbage that came there way during the early days of settlement in Australia.
He said to me: "you say that mate, but when I was young I often had to watch my old man ridiculed cos he couldn't articulate what he was saying due to his sub par grasp of english." That hit me quite hard, cos I never had to see my old man who I idolised ridiculed in front of me. Therefore could never know the shame and damage that could do to a child. This is the issue. You can tell these grown adults to harden up, extremely unfair in my opinion, but consider the damage your doing to young children growing up. These actions hold so much more weight than most anglo saxons could ever comprahend. All I'm saying is please consider you're words and actions as they can have far more detrimental ramifications than you could ever imagine.

My misses has an Italian background and she has always hated the words "wog" and "dago." I used to call all my European mates “wogs” when I was growing up, as if it was nothing.

My best mate growing up had a Croatian background. He always called himself a “Proud Croatian,” which really irritated me considering he was born here and had never been to Croatia. I never understood it.

20 or so years later I worked with this Sri Lankan guy who did the same thing. He called himself Sri Lankan, despite the fact that he had never been there. So, one day I asked him… “How can he consider himself to be Sri Lankan if he had never even visited the place?”

His answer was… “When I was growing up, I was teased for being black. Everyone told me I wasn’t Australian. That’s how I considered myself to be Sri Lankan.”

That statement hit me like a sledgehammer, and it has never left me. Anglo’s like us will never understand what these people went through as kids.

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I strongly believe racism is deeply rooted in AFL supporter culture. Sure, we don’t have organised racism like you might see in parts of Eastern European sport, but casual racism especially is systematic in footy. We are too quick to forgive and/or ignore. Eddie and Sam Newman have got away with it for years. Eddie Betts cries for tolerance and gets ignored time after time after the newspaper becomes fish n chip wrapping.

Taylor Walker was teammates with Eddie Betts for years but hasn’t learnt anything. That’s the most disappointing thing in this.

Reactions: 5 users

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
My misses has an Italian background and she has always hated the words "wog" and "dago." I used to call all my European mates “wogs” when I was growing up, as if it was nothing.

My best mate growing up had a Croatian background. He always called himself a “Proud Croatian,” which really irritated me considering he was born here and had never been to Croatia. I never understood it.

20 or so years later I worked with this Sri Lankan guy who did the same thing. He called himself Sri Lankan, despite the fact that he had never been there. So, one day I asked him… “How can he consider himself to be Sri Lankan if he had never even visited the place?”

His answer was… “When I was growing up, I was teased for being black. Everyone told me I wasn’t Australian. That’s how I considered myself to be Sri Lankan.”

That statement hit me like a sledgehammer, and it has never left me. Anglo’s like us will never understand what these people went through as kids.

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I strongly believe racism is deeply rooted in AFL supporter culture. Sure, we don’t have organised racism like you might see in parts of Eastern European sport, but casual racism especially is systematic in footy. We are too quick to forgive and/or ignore. Eddie and Sam Newman have got away with it for years. Eddie Betts cries for tolerance and gets ignored time after time after the newspaper becomes fish n chip wrapping.

Taylor Walker was teammates with Eddie Betts for years but hasn’t learnt anything. That’s the most disappointing thing in this.
There are more Chinese descendant Australian citizens than indigenous Australians but I hear no outcry about media and Government 'racist' remarks about China. If you do not like a person (Government) of a different variety (for whatever reason) and your remarks cause discomfort/grief are you a racist? A dislike of China too easily slides into a dislike of Chinese and and now we hear the term 'enemy'. Racism is bad bad bad but if it is to be called out then do it for all racial instances not just black and white.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

I think that's a beat up... it is being exposed more, not sure if it is more prevalent in footy at least If it is then the ALF need to reverse all the education programs etc and go back to the 70s.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It's worse than that. Walker and Betts are good mates, or at least were.

Tex should follow his own advice:

The call to action was led by Crows captain Taylor Walker, who tweeted his disappointment. “Absolutely disgusting! Shouldn’t ever be allowed back into enjoy the football. Very disappointing,” he said.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Don't need to read nothing
He did wrong, he has apologised, he has been suspended and let's get over it. There's more serious *smile* going on.
Would we be acting the same if Walker was a Richmond player??
We should and I have little doubt that Brendon and Peggy would insist upon it.

Given all the circumstances Walker's actions bought the game into disrepute and constituted a breach of his contract of employment. I believe he should have been given the opportunity to resign, or face instant dismissal. Such was his level of insult to all Australians.

Listening to Dwayne Russell on AW this morning, who was down playing the seriousness of what occurred and calling in aid the failure of players to speak out. Can you imagine the please explains following a call by players, publicly attacking an AFL endorsed penalty imposed upon a fellow player.

I've made no secret of what I think of Gill who has been less than fair in regard to his introduction of rule changes and who has generally schmoozed his way through his period in office. He has again done so in this instance. Again the AFL has let the community down badly and has failed to provide leadership, which seems especially poignant at a time that Olympic organisers in Tokyo have done so well.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
There are more Chinese descendant Australian citizens than indigenous Australians but I hear no outcry about media and Government 'racist' remarks about China. If you do not like a person (Government) of a different variety (for whatever reason) and your remarks cause discomfort/grief are you a racist? A dislike of China too easily slides into a dislike of Chinese and and now we hear the term 'enemy'. Racism is bad bad bad but if it is to be called out then do it for all racial instances not just black and white.

Let’s be clear on this, the whole China angle is another Murdoch agenda. He tried to get a foothold into the China media market and failed. So, his response is to push an agenda against China by getting Trump and Morrison to do his bidding. He's done the same with what people call "big tech." He lost hundreds of millions over My Space and blames Facebook and Twitter for it. This evil man has one massive ego.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Let’s be clear on this, the whole China angle is another Murdoch agenda. He tried to get a foothold into the China media market and failed. So, his response is to push an agenda against China by getting Trump and Morrison to do his bidding. He's done the same with what people call "big tech." He lost hundreds of millions over My Space and blames Facebook and Twitter for it. This evil man has one massive ego.
So China is a victim of weastern media?
Enjoyed your previous post, don’t agree China is any sort of victim.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
:rotfl2

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon Taylor would be re considering his future after this mess.

I would not be surprised to see him retire or get tapped on the shoulder.

His time as the skipper of the Crows has coincided with what has become possibly the worst 4-5 year period in the history of the AFC, both on and off the field.