THANK YOU PEGGY!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

THANK YOU PEGGY!!!

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
One day when we have an incompetent board that we can't vote out or even push for an EGM... I'll be here to tell you i told you so.
Make sure you out yourself beforehand on here will ya, so we know that you made it!

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
You guys are a bit dismissive of @Ian4 's point. Any reduction in members rights is a bad thing and the change was pushed through when we were winning flags and had nothing to complain about. 100 signatures for an EGM is actually quite normal.

Reactions: 2 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Feral, rabid supporters voting for board candidates or applying for seats as soon as things get tough.
Where would we have been after 2016?
And what successful modern organisations operates like that?
Passion is not a prerequisite to sit on a board. Skills are
Ummm AFL.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
One day when we have an incompetent board that we can't vote out or even push for an EGM... I'll be here to tell you i told you so.
I assume you’ll be judging their competency over win loss ratios?
Is your name Graeme Richmond?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Any reduction in members rights is a bad thing and the change was pushed through when we were winning flags and had nothing to complain about.
Not necessarily a bad thing, It depends what the member's rights were in the first place. I don't see the timing as a bad thing, I just see it as good politics. If we want to talk extreme scenarios like Ian is, what about a few reactionaries calling an EGM after a couple of years out of the finals? I can see Ian's point, I just don't agree with it. You have to have both hands firmly on the wheel to steer the ship.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
You guys are a bit dismissive of @Ian4 's point. Any reduction in members rights is a bad thing and the change was pushed through when we were winning flags and had nothing to complain about. 100 signatures for an EGM is actually quite normal.

@jb03 Can you provide a bit more detail that 100 signatures is quite normal to call an EGM?, (god forbid if a 100 signatures from the Richmond Grog Squad can hold the club to ransom, (more beer, more beer, more beer).

Ok i am making light of the debate but am genuinely interested if you can back up that 100 is the norm.
Sensible to change archaic laws IMO.

Members' power to require directors to call general meetings (sec303 - sec304)
The directors must call a general meeting if so requested by the holders of 5% of the voting shares (or 5% of the voting rights if there are no shares). (The figure was reduced from 10% to 5% by the Companies (Shareholders' Rights) Regulations 2009 (S.I. 2009/1632), reg. 4(2).

Last edited:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Peggy has served more than admirably as President. Beyond any expectation. We would not be the powerhouse we are without her leadership and diligence. She deserves a massive thank-you and legendary status at the RFC. Thank-you for all your vision and effort Peggy.

However, having said that, I am with Bin Man. We are not going to have this successful era forever. History shows that past lessons get unlearned or forgotten in periods of desperation. The changes made to the constitution and inability for club members to now vote for change in the boardroom will come back to bite badly at some stage in the future. Those of you saying we can still call an EGM if things go pear shaped are deluded. Won't happen, can't happen now. The last significant vote by members for board candidates was manipulated to bring about a particular outcome. We are left with limited voting rights because nobody turned up when they were put on the line. When Demetriou or McLachlan or Hocking or Scott, in whatever alternate form, come to power at the RFC in a future moment, well, we will just have to grin and bear it. And provide the lube.

Great post and thank you.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Peggy has been great, but that is a separate issue to things like voting rights and at the end of the day the members are the club.

5% maybe too high to call an EGM, 50 too low, maybe 2.5% would be better. It has to be a real hurdle, not too easy. Members should also have the main say in who the board is.

As a union official I knew years ago always said - the members are always right. The key is to make sure the members are well enough informed to make good decisions and don't pull the wool over our eyes. We will have hard times in the future and the members need to be able to exert influence, real influence.

DS

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Thankyou Peggy. You have been a beacon of light that guided us to our most successful period of the AFL era. You made this club the juggernaut of the competition. We will forever be indebted. Wishing you the very best for your next venture.

Reactions: 3 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Peggy has served more than admirably as President. Beyond any expectation. We would not be the powerhouse we are without her leadership and diligence. She deserves a massive thank-you and legendary status at the RFC. Thank-you for all your vision and effort Peggy.

However, having said that, I am with Bin Man. We are not going to have this successful era forever. History shows that past lessons get unlearned or forgotten in periods of desperation. The changes made to the constitution and inability for club members to now vote for change in the boardroom will come back to bite badly at some stage in the future. Those of you saying we can still call an EGM if things go pear shaped are deluded. Won't happen, can't happen now. The last significant vote by members for board candidates was manipulated to bring about a particular outcome. We are left with limited voting rights because nobody turned up when they were put on the line. When Demetriou or McLachlan or Hocking or Scott, in whatever alternate form, come to power at the RFC in a future moment, well, we will just have to grin and bear it. And provide the lube.
It’s an interesting one. It’s like the benevolent king who then has the crazy son. A benevolent dictator is the best governance model (IMO) - no red tape and make quick decisions in the best interest to - the problem is that nothing to stop a despot coming in afterwards.

Whether the mechanisms that used to exist effectively get someone better is a separate question.

With that said I’m not sure that many happy with what democracy is serving us up as leaders either - Morrison / trump.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
A wonderful woman, great organiser, caring & mentor who gave alot of her time and held fast to her beliefs. That allowed Richmond to climb to the top. The rest is history. Long may the sun shine on you.

Reactions: 5 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Thank You La Tigre Boss Lady Peggy !!

What a Tag Team Peggy and the Chief.

Had a rough time early doors as did the Chief but they held their nerve.

The rest is history, and the vision of Peggy and the Chief in 2017 when it was clear the Flag was theirs is testimony to their work.

The success of the RFC and its greatest modern era is her legacy.

Enjoy what you helped build Peggy the legacy will live long.

Tiger Tough

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
I found myself getting a bit emotional watching Peggy’s speech.

We were a rabble when she arrived as a board member. She leaves with us being the biggest sporting club in the land.

All of us here have always been passionate Tigers, thanks to Peggy and her leadership, innovation and foresight we are not only passionate, but immensely proud of our club.

Thanks Peggy, you helped deliver a period of success many of us never dreamed to think of, let alone experience.

A sad loss for the club, she is a very impressive person.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but a statue outside Punt Rd?
As part of the new development, certainly would not be out of place.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I found myself getting a bit emotional watching Peggy’s speech.

We were a rabble when she arrived as a board member. She leaves with us being the biggest sporting club in the land.

All of us here have always been passionate Tigers, thanks to Peggy and her leadership, innovation and foresight we are not only passionate, but immensely proud of our club.

Thanks Peggy, you helped deliver a period of success many of us never dreamed to think of, let alone experience.

A sad loss for the club, she is a very impressive person.
As I was watching Peggy's speech I couldn't help but think of the different styles in Presidency between her and Eddie McGuire. You could imagine him gloating and boasting, what a contrast from Peggy who is self-effacing.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Peggy absolutely killed it on AFL 360 tonight. Much like her tenure as President, really.

Reactions: 2 users