The First 12 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The First 12

Stylo said:
Haven't seen it myself but apparently Brett Anderson has said he doesn't think GC will take Weller, they're worried he'll want to relocate to Vic in a couple of years to be close to Mav, and the rest of his family will be moving down there soon. Pretty much leaves us and the Cats in the race, unless Collingwood take him at 5...

Collingwood will take Laverde I believe.

bullus_hit said:
Collingwood will take Laverde I believe.

I believe the same. Dare I let myself get excited? It might be the reason Geelong traded up, to get ahead of us.

Stylo said:
I believe the same. Dare I let myself get excited? It might be the reason Geelong traded up, to get ahead of us.

They may also like Ahern, difficult to say though.

Stylo said:
I think Geelong are eyeing off Pickett.

So going by what Callum Twomey is getting from his sources this is how he thinks the first round might look like:

Pick 1 St. Kilda - Petracca
Pick 2 Melbourne - Brayshaw
Pick 3 Melbourne - McCartin
Pick 4 GWS - Wright
Pick 5 Collingwood - Laverde
Pick 6 GWS - Ahern
Pick 7 GWS - Weller
Pick 8 Gold Coast - Pickett
Pick 9 Collingwood - Moore
Pick 10 Geelong - Lever
Pick 11 WCE - Cockatoo
Pick 12 Richmond - Ellis
Pick 13 Fremantle - Durdin
Pick 14 Adelaide - Goddard
Pick 15 Gold Coast - Langford
Pick 16 North - Garlett
Pick 17 Essendon - Lamb
Pick 18 Sydney - Heeney
Pick 19 Carlton - Menadue

Smoking Aces said:
He has them as options if their first choice is gone.

You surprised with the Ellis call?

Not happy with it, Ellis is second round in my opinion.

Gee I hope Callum is off target with this. We could get a very good slider his year and here we are looking at a stretch choice according to him :eek:

GEDS1 said:
Gee I hope Callum is off target with this. We could get a very good slider his year and here we are looking at a stretch choice according to him :eek:
Me too. I haven't heard much about Ellis until now, but a lot of what people are saying here suggests that he's not a first rounder in their eyes. I do however like what I've heard about Duggan, so if he's still available he may be the better option.

Smoking Aces said:
He has them as options if their first choice is gone.

You surprised with the Ellis call?

if it goes the way Brett has it listed, I'd pull the trigger on Garlett. I don't GWS take two mids. They split picks and IMO take Durdin.

Hope Callum is writing this on the basis of what Richardson's been saying about us taking mids. It's noticeable that there aren't many around our mark if no-one slides, Ellis is about the next and he's generally been touted at around 18-25. DeGoey and Duggan both seem better options.

Wasnt Ellis touted as a top 10 pick at the start of the year? However injury has stopped him from achieving those pre-season expectations.

The ball magnet averaged 22 possessions during the TAC Cup home-and-away season and was sidelined when the Jets were eliminated in the opening week of the finals by Dandenong Stingrays.

Vic Metro coach David Flood rates Ellis, listed at 186cm and 76kg, as an “unbelievably strong one-on-one mark for a kid of his size”.

Throw in his sure-footed skills and unquestionable consistency, and it is not difficult to see why the former Keilor junior is almost certain to be snapped up by an AFL club in November.

Ellis fired for Metro in the AFL Under-18 National Championships earlier this year, his standout performance coming against Western Australia, where he logged 21 possessions and seven marks.

But he strained a muscle in his knee late in the tournament, which slowed his progress.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/western-jets-draft-prospect-corey-ellis-letting-his-footy-do-the-talking/story-fngnvog3-1227047902294?nk=6135a42efc879bf2d5efa8f84ac63870

Smoking Aces said:
Wasnt Ellis touted as a top 10 pick at the start of the year? However injury has stopped him from achieving those pre-season expectations.

The ball magnet averaged 22 possessions during the TAC Cup home-and-away season and was sidelined when the Jets were eliminated in the opening week of the finals by Dandenong Stingrays.

Vic Metro coach David Flood rates Ellis, listed at 186cm and 76kg, as an “unbelievably strong one-on-one mark for a kid of his size”.

Throw in his sure-footed skills and unquestionable consistency, and it is not difficult to see why the former Keilor junior is almost certain to be snapped up by an AFL club in November.

Ellis fired for Metro in the AFL Under-18 National Championships earlier this year, his standout performance coming against Western Australia, where he logged 21 possessions and seven marks.

But he strained a muscle in his knee late in the tournament, which slowed his progress.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/western-jets-draft-prospect-corey-ellis-letting-his-footy-do-the-talking/story-fngnvog3-1227047902294?nk=6135a42efc879bf2d5efa8f84ac63870

A few things to consider here, first WA fielded a very weak team this year, most players did exceedingly well against them, but even in that match Ellis didn't really take the game by the scruff of the neck like some of the other first round candidates. His kicking is generally neat but is often lateral or short, not to mention he often tries to be too clever and turns the ball over as a result.

Just going over his stats at TAC level, his KE was 49%, way too low for a player who has a reputation for elite disposal. For someone hailed as a strong mark, he didn't take one contested mark for the season, and his performance in the carnival was ok but not outstanding. He averaged 2 clearances a match, to put that into perspective, Blakely averaged 7.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Ellis is worth pick 12, I would rather roll the dice on Cockatoo if all the others are off the board.

bullus_hit said:
A few things to consider here, first WA fielded a very weak team this year, most players did exceedingly well against them, but even in that match Ellis didn't really take the game by the scruff of the neck like some of the other first round candidates. His kicking is generally neat but is often lateral or short, not to mention he often tries to be too clever and turns the ball over as a result.

Just going over his stats at TAC level, his KE was 49%, way too low for a player who has a reputation for elite disposal. For someone hailed as a strong mark, he didn't take one contested mark for the season, and his performance in the carnival was ok but not outstanding. He averaged 2 clearances a match, to put that into perspective, Blakely averaged 7.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Ellis is worth pick 12, I would rather roll the dice on Cockatoo if all the others are off the board.
I get the feeling Cockatoo will be the gem of this years draft and my gut feeling is he will go to North.

Stylo said:
So? What did Ellis run?

Hi didnt run. Has a stress fracture in his foot...........beware!

The AFL guy Twomey has been hot on Ellis all year. Rated in top 10 from the April / May. Not sure many others share his view