The First 12 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The First 12

I know he's skinny and may take a few years before ready for seniors but what are people's thoughts on Connor Menadue? Is pick 12 a massive reach?

Seems to tick alot of boxes for us with his speed, evasiveness, skill, run & carry = game breaker.

Especially if alot of the other options at pick 12 are honest foot soldiers.

Ripplestick said:
I know he's skinny and may take a few years before ready for seniors but what are people's thoughts on Connor Menadue? Is pick 12 a massive reach?

Seems to tick alot of boxes for us with his speed, evasiveness, skill, run & carry = game breaker.

Especially if alot of the other options at pick 12 are honest foot soldiers.

I rate him but Cockatoo is my preferred option out of all the speed demons, he seems to have the makings of a well rounded inside footballer unlike Menadue or Garlett.

Im sure he will make it to #12 but probably realistically a #15-#25 selection so would be a slight reach imo

But if we were to select him, I would put him in the reserves for 2015 with perhaps 2 games before the season ends against soft opposition and back to the reserves and ready for 2016.

Needs to work on his ability to play a little more inside and to take the 1st best option tends to run too far and tries to do too much, as well as learning the game plan

PJ in Osaka said:
If cockatoo makes it to us, when do you think he will play?

Physically he's ready to play now, his running times were also outstanding so fitness won't be an issue. I'd probably give him a stint in the reserves, I think he needs to get used to playing against the bigger bodies.

Are people getting a little too excited over Cockatoo based on one game against kids younger than him?

Sounds very similar to when Greg Miller based his selection on JON off youtube highlights.

Smoking Aces said:
Are people getting a little too excited over Cockatoo based on one game against kids younger than him?

Sounds very similar to when Greg Miller based his selection on JON off youtube highlights.

There's a risk, no doubt about it, but don't forget he's an AIS graduate who's already trained with an AFL club and has showcased his skills on the biggest day on the AFL calender. Unlike JON he has an inside game, he's physically imposing and he has turned on a clinic for the Allies with minimal preparation. Picking him at 12 is a big call, but if it's true we're considering Ellis then I say go with the guy who has the greatest upside. I still prefer the likes of Weller & Ahern but they may not be around.

Smoking Aces said:

I am no expert on drafting, like some of the others on here and really appreciate reading some of the comments.

From that angle i am like Greg Miller. Looking at YouTube and thinking yea... However I do think Jackson has done a pretty good job on our first round picks and they will pick up a decent player.

What makes me think Cockatoo fits the mold, is strong family background, seen as a leader, lives and breaths footy, does the extra work.

In all likelihood he will not be our first one of these Durdin, Ahern, Duggan, Weller. Cockatoo will end at North, but like Vlass, Conca, Ellis... Francis Jackson may surprise..

Smoking Aces said:

No it isnt about just what he did in the curtain raise game, Its more about what he did prior to getting injured and you dont just get selected to AIS-AFL Academy squads to tour just for fun of it , He actually did perform prior to getting injured and was still taken on the tour and hepled out all the coaches and his team mates.

But going back to the curtain raise, He was playing along side other very highly touted players like Heeney,Weller,Steele,Finlayson etc, It wasnt any of these players that was best - It was Nakia Cockatoo , and playing against the best of the juniors which are mostly around 6-7 months younger

But what you need to remember is that this kid is actually a very very good footballer that is magnificant athletically and has great skills that comes back from injury and dominates his 1st game when other top 20 players in this years draft had been playing all season and didnt do what Nakia was able to do.

Then he backs that up with blitzing the Combine.

This Kid is not another JON, But more potentially like a Adam Goodes, What you seen in that small sample wasnt just a 1 time thing , Thats the way he plays and if he continues his development he will become an Excitment machine

Electric pace,Great Leap,Hungry to learn, great kicking ,Solid player that just turned 18 last week - Hell of alot to work with here and will probably grow anothe 2-3 cm
Will become a Beast of a Midfielder

bullus_hit said:
A few things to consider here, first WA fielded a very weak team this year, most players did exceedingly well against them, but even in that match Ellis didn't really take the game by the scruff of the neck like some of the other first round candidates. His kicking is generally neat but is often lateral or short, not to mention he often tries to be too clever and turns the ball over as a result.

Just going over his stats at TAC level, his KE was 49%, way too low for a player who has a reputation for elite disposal. For someone hailed as a strong mark, he didn't take one contested mark for the season, and his performance in the carnival was ok but not outstanding. He averaged 2 clearances a match, to put that into perspective, Blakely averaged 7.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Ellis is worth pick 12, I would rather roll the dice on Cockatoo if all the others are off the board.
I think we place too much emphasis on how a kid performed in his draft year. Wouldn't it be better that we judge them over say 2 years? By doing this how would Ellis fair considering he had injuries this year which have effected his output? Same goes for Cockatoo who before the Allies game was barely on the radar as an early selection.

Smoking Aces said:
I think we place too much emphasis on how a kid performed in his draft year. Wouldn't it be better that we judge them over say 2 years? By doing this how would Ellis fair considering he had injuries this year which have effected his output? Same goes for Cockatoo who before the Allies game was barely on the radar as an early selection.

I think in the role Ellis will play we can do better, I don't necessarily see him as a line breaker, I would actually prefer his team mate Duggan all things considered. As for Cockatoo, he has some serious dash to him, he represents something we are sorely lacking and the news coming out of North is that they are willing to bite with a first rounder. Selecting him certainly isn't from the recruiters playbook however this may be the year to throw caution to the wind.

Its time to lay the balls on the line Mr Francis Jackson, Any recruiter can select the Ellis,Vlastuin,Cotchin,Martin,Lennon's of the draft as they are usually the highly touted at around the selections where they were picked and we did need to do that at the stage we were at but the time has come to say - This kid has it and im prepared to go for it.

We can always take a solid citizen with our next 2 selections #33 & #52 There are a good number of players in the draft that will give us these types but cocky is a different cat and 1 that could become another Dustin Martin Type that just demands respect from the opposition because of the tools he has at his disposal that just makes him so dangerous. Speed to burn , Good Mark , Good kick ( he is a good kick im not sure where this cant kick crap comes from) Huge leap, Big Body and just turned 18 and is 188cm - He will grow another 2-3 cm and become such a dangerous matchup for defenders when playing foward Too big for small defenders and too fast for big kpd

I wrote on another forum of who i believe this kid reminds me of and it was a combination of Martin/Delidio once we get a little bit of Cotchin into him - WATCH OUT

Agree totally with last two posts. Think we should have some ballllz and get cocky as I've said before.

Was just looking at the HIGhLIGHTS packages on afl website of Ahern Dugan and Ellis.
Ahern no highlight where he got a centre clearance. A lot of fwd crumbing marking and goals
Ellis 1 highlight of him getting a centre clearance and hitting a fwd up. Fair bit of him down back.
Duggan Had about 3 highlights of centre clearances. And some fwd work.

If these are highlights and thes players listed as mids then where are their clearances and midfield work?? Bit of a worry to me. Of these 3 Duggan was only one whose highlights pointed to a mid.. He looked most promising as a mid option. For mine cocky shiytes all over them as a dangerous mid fwd potential superstar!!

I guess it depends what we do with the DFA this year. If are to bring in say Robinson and maybe one of Taylor Hunt / Ben Newton, then our initial issues around inside mids changes a little. If we want an additional pick in the draft, then delist Arnott, as I don't think he has yet been signed for next year (certainly haven't seen anything but correct me if I'm wrong). If that's correct, the its obvious we will be looking at DFA that can provide that hard nut inside mid type.

If we can get 2 of them, I expect Arnott to be delisted and we may go for that more speculative running mid with out first pick and go for another inside mid with the 2nd.

I think once we get through the DFA period we may have more of an idea what the plan for the ND will be.

mrposhman said:
I guess it depends what we do with the DFA this year. If are to bring in say Robinson and maybe one of Taylor Hunt / Ben Newton, then our initial issues around inside mids changes a little. If we want an additional pick in the draft, then delist Arnott, as I don't think he has yet been signed for next year (certainly haven't seen anything but correct me if I'm wrong). If that's correct, the its obvious we will be looking at DFA that can provide that hard nut inside mid type.

If we can get 2 of them, I expect Arnott to be delisted and we may go for that more speculative running mid with out first pick and go for another inside mid with the 2nd.

I think once we get through the DFA period we may have more of an idea what the plan for the ND will be.

Arnott is signed to the end of 2015
I wouldn't mind T.Hunt.

From an internet draft guru perspective, I deem all options available at our pick average.

Let's therefore take a massive risk of going bust. It's not like we can lose our internet draft guru status as a consequence for being wrong.

GWS will take 2 x talls with their first 2 x picks likely being Wright/Lever to replace Boyd & Patton (who will likely miss all of 2015).

Heavily into Pickett with their 3rd.

Just a niaive question whats the knock on Jayden Foster - son of bulldog peter? Seems a nice size and reads the ball in the air well. Ground skills, endurance??

gehring said:
Just a niaive question whats the knock on Jayden Foster - son of bulldog peter? Seems a nice size and reads the ball in the air well. Ground skills, endurance??

He's probably been played out of position but I think the knock on him is his ability to read the play and his potential upside.