The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Their home ground advantage is massive! 90% win record there over recent seasons. And they often play the interstate teams and the poorer performing Melbourne clubs. Here's the KP win/loss record by club.

Adelaide 3 wins from 22
Port 2/15
GCS 0/8
Freo 4/19
GWS 2/6
Brisbanes 7/26
WCE 8/26
Sydney 22/64
That's 48/186 see overall (that's a 74% win record for Geelong)

Noticeable Melbourne based club records:
Western Bulldogs 13/60
St Kilda 13/62
Melbourne 19/61
45/183, that's a win % of 74% as well.

So this season they're drawn to play :
Sydney
Adelaide
GWS
Melbourne
North
Freo
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs

And Essendon

So statistically, each season, you can put them down for at least 7 wins before the season even starts . They just have to eke out another 5 or 6 just to play finals .
Exactly TT.
Absolute rort .
When opposition fans can get about 500 tickets to a ridiculously shaped Auskick ground, that they can train AND play on.... It's a gift wrapped invitation to play finals every year

They get a leg-up that no other team receives.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
So conversely if Geelong's home ground advantage gives them 7 wins every season then it is harder pressed to get a top 5 pick.

So if their father son advantage drys up then we may see them fall

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
So conversely if Geelong's home ground advantage gives them 7 wins every season then it is harder pressed to get a top 5 pick.

So if their father son advantage drys up then we may see them fall
Theoretically yes, until the AFL miraculously change the rules and Geelong buy a first round pick packaged with a suns player salary dump.

It's strange that a sport with stationary goal posts can allow some teams to constantly move the goalposts.

Zero credibility.

But yeah, I'd love to see them fall.

I hate Geelong.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Exactly TT.
Absolute rort .
When opposition fans can get about 500 tickets to a ridiculously shaped Auskick ground, that they can train AND play on.... It's a gift wrapped invitation to play finals every year

Geelong's all time winning percentage at Kardinia Park is 67.79%.

Since 2007 it is more like 90% which by my humble grasp of mathematics has added about 10% to their overall record. Mid 50s is about the same as Hawthorn and Essendon go at the MCG.

It's uncanny how having a good team improves your home ground advantage.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Geelong's all time winning percentage at Kardinia Park is 67.79%.

Since 2007 it is more like 90% which by my humble grasp of mathematics has added about 10% to their overall record. Mid 50s is about the same as Hawthorn and Essendon go at the MCG.

It's uncanny how having a good team improves your home ground advantage.
I posted stats elsewhere that showed their away game winning percentage was normal relative to their winning percentage and the home grand advantage was a massive discrepancy high - which would imply it’s the home ground and/or maybe scheduling and not the team quality that makes the difference.

Obviously if you are good you win more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I posted stats elsewhere that showed their away game winning percentage was normal relative to their winning percentage and the home grand advantage was a massive discrepancy high - which would imply it’s the home ground and/or maybe scheduling and not the team quality that makes the difference.

Obviously if you are good you win more.

I think there's a lot of factors that need to go into it. Who you play at home is obviously a huge factor and I would imagine Geelong play a higher percentage of interstate teams at home as they would tend to host the big Melbourne clubs at the MCG.

Any home ground is an advantage but I don't think Geelong's is the mighty one people talk about. They are just a good team at the moment a dnhave been for a long time.

It's like us, when we became powerful the MCG was a fortress, before that you could start at half time and still kick the *smile* out of us.

• Dislike

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I think there's a lot of factors that need to go into it. Who you play at home is obviously a huge factor and I would imagine Geelong play a higher percentage of interstate teams at home as they would tend to host the big Melbourne clubs at the MCG.

Any home ground is an advantage but I don't think Geelong's is the mighty one people talk about. They are just a good team at the moment a dnhave been for a long time.

It's like us, when we became powerful the MCG was a fortress, before that you could start at half time and still kick the *smile* out of us.
I’ll need to find my post. Geelongs home ground advantage is much stronger than everyone else’s holding constant for strength of team.

Here it is. Geelong and interstate teams perform abnormally well at home / poorly away.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Exactly TT.
Absolute rort .

Which is rather ironic given how much they whinge about the MCG

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I’ll need to find my post. Geelongs home ground advantage is much stronger than everyone else’s holding constant for strength of team.

Here it is. Geelong and interstate teams perform abnormally well at home / poorly away.

Just noticed those states are for state so it would include their MCG games as well.

Geelong is 16% better home vs away, but St Kilda is 26%, Essendon 20%, Carlton 14% and North 10%.

Considering Geelong's home percentage is on a bubble at the moment with the 90% streak for the last 15 years, maybe Marvel is the secret advantage?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Just noticed those states are for state so it would include their MCG games as well.

Geelong is 16% better home vs away, but St Kilda is 26%, Essendon 20%, Carlton 14% and North 10%.

Considering Geelong's home percentage is on a bubble at the moment with the 90% streak for the last 15 years, maybe Marvel is the secret advantage?

Below is their record over the last 10 years:​

StadiumWin
Record
Avg
Score
For
Avg
Score
Against
Blundstone Arena2-0-0
(100%)
GMHBA Stadium55-0-10
(85%)
The Gabba8-0-3
(73%)
Marvel Stadium16-1-6
(70%)
Manuka Oval2-0-1
(67%)
Metricon Stadium6-0-3
(67%)
MCG37-0-23
(62%)
Adelaide Oval8-0-8
(50%)
SCG3-0-3
(50%)
Optus Stadium4-0-5
(44%)
Domain Stadium2-0-3
(40%)
Giants Stadium1-1-1
(33%)
Accor Stadium0-0-1
(0%)
Totals144-2-67
(68%)

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Lock in the Cants for a premiership hangover.

Took my son to Seaworld today. Waiting at the gate to get on to the roller coaster. Who should be getting off just before I get on....Chris 'the salt man' Scott. Enjoying a nice holiday on the GC Scotty? Just as all the other teams are knuckling down with major match sim for pre season, Scotty is working on his sun tan.

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Lock in the Cants for a premiership hangover.

Took my son to Seaworld today. Waiting at the gate to get on to the roller coaster. Who should be getting off just before I get on....Chris 'the salt man' Scott. Enjoying a nice holiday on the GC Scotty? Just as all the other teams are knuckling down with major match sim for pre season, Scotty is working on his sun tan.
Did you tell him TBR is a big fan ?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Their home ground advantage is massive! 90% win record there over recent seasons. And they often play the interstate teams and the poorer performing Melbourne clubs. Here's the KP win/loss record by club.

Adelaide 3 wins from 22
Port 2/15
GCS 0/8
Freo 4/19
GWS 2/6
Brisbanes 7/26
WCE 8/26
Sydney 22/64
That's 48/186 see overall (that's a 74% win record for Geelong)

Noticeable Melbourne based club records:
Western Bulldogs 13/60
St Kilda 13/62
Melbourne 19/61
45/183, that's a win % of 74% as well.

So this season they're drawn to play :
Sydney
Adelaide
GWS
Melbourne
North
Freo
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs

And Essendon

So statistically, each season, you can put them down for at least 7 wins before the season even starts . They just have to eke out another 5 or 6 just to play finals .
The ponzies

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Couldn’t have chosen a less likeable pair.

Reactions: 8 users