The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
On AFL website, I noticed Pricky whinging that last season's PF should've been postponed due to his pussies getting sick but the game went on, and that he's got a new game plan.......tl/dr.....especially about the Pussies.
How many times can this bloke use excuses?
What's next? The blue was too faded??

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
Richmond didn't just go deep into a few seasons in a row, they went right to October in 2020. 2020 had an impact on everyone. At the highest level sport is close, it doesn't take much to slip a few, or more than a few, places. Physically I reckon we were down last year but mentally they went through the huge effort of winning the flag in a very taxing season, there are costs to doing this.

The break will do them good and hopefully some reflection on the way the game has changed. The game always changes, the teams who don't win the flag are always looking to improve and reach the top. The game develops and staying competitive means improving, even if you won it the previous year. Add to this the rule changes, the constant changing of interpretations, and there will always be work to do on strategies.

I reckon we will at least make the 8 this year, the trick will be to make top 4, and that means forcing another team out. Plenty of decent teams around. Melbourne obviously, Footscray with improved defence (they will be working on this), Brisbane, Port, Geelong, etc - we have to displace someone to get back up to the top 4 and there are plenty of other teams trying to do the same. It is never easy but we have the players and we have some exciting youngsters who have had their development interrupted. The pieces are there, we're a shot at top 4 but it's never easy.

DS
I get your point but I look at Geelong who had the same timeframe as us. They made semi finals in 2021 and are the oldest playing group. Finishing in October wasn’t our reason for our 2021 12th position.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
No excuses??

Sure sounds like an excuse to me when he says he wonders whether the game should have gone ahead.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
I get your point but I look at Geelong who had the same timeframe as us. They made semi finals in 2021 and are the oldest playing group. Finishing in October wasn’t our reason for our 2021 12th position.
We’d done it 4 years in a row. Geelong had no where near the injuries we had last year.

Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
On AFL website, I noticed Pricky whinging that last season's PF should've been postponed due to his pussies getting sick but the game went on, and that he's got a new game plan.......tl/dr.....especially about the Pussies.
I thought he was complaining because the game was on so late. The players all had their dinner at 4 and were ready for bed. The old age home lock their doors at 8 and they wouldn’t have been allowed back in

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
A bug? Was it covid? If it wasn't then where do you draw the line?
"Hang on, Danger's got a hammy, we need to postpone the game."

I didn't know that sort of thing was allowed.
Could have postponed our season last year when Martin went down.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Didn't have the same injury issues we had

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Geelong also added 'fresh' veterans Cameron, Smith and Higgins to the oldest list ever assembled. They are masters of home and away footy, but as Gyps rightly pointed out, their aim is to finish top 4 and hopefully Bradbury it from there.

For all their success in phase 1 of the plan, fact is in the last decade they are 1-6 in qualifying finals, 1-5 in prelims, 0-2 in elimination finals and 0-1 in grand finals. That's 2 wins, 14 losses in finals against teams that finished in the same half of the 8 as them. You'd almost call them frauds. They are good at beating also-rans in semis, I'll give them that. They might have made the finals last year but they got flogged by Poort, beat an average GWS and were obliterated by Melbourne.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
True.
3 flags in four years against nil flags in four years may just slightly have tempered the appetite for manic hard work. Throw in a constant surge of injury disruption through the mid field and defence and it's pretty much a recipe for disaster.
Refresh the mindset, refresh the appetite n refresh the playing group n fingers crossed we should be back in the hunt this year.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It's true they haven't got it done in finals but equally worth remembering they led the Prelim and Grand Finals at half time in two years. They had one hand on the cup both times until we snatched it away. That's about as close as you can get to achieving something bloody hard to achieve. Goes down as losses in the record but by any measure it is a huge season.
If you run the first lap of an 800m race at 400 pace, you will lead at the bell. But you won't win.

2 wins, 14 losses. It doesn't get starker than that.

Reactions: 14 users

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
All I can say about the scats intent currently in Finals is that it is not working for them. And may it long do so!!!

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
This is when i need to to ask L2R2R for the percentages of winning sides in prelims and grand finals when they lead at halftime. :cry:
Never mind about 'sides'. Twice Geelong has led Richmond at half time. Yet the 2019 prelim was as good as over five minutes into the third, and the second half of the 2020 grand final was one-way traffic. It suggests they threw all they had at us in the first half and ran out of petrol tickets.

Reactions: 7 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I'm not so sure about that, I think they lost to a better side in 2019 and a better player in 2020.

I guess my point is they were the second best side in the competition two years in a row and led the best side for half a game in the finals. That's not captured in a finals record but it's a great couple of seasons work.
Pure and simply they don’t have a game plan that holds up in finals.
And they particularly don’t like it when the umpires put their whistles away in Grand Finals

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Agree with this. I’m considering pissing off Kayo & paying for Fox just so I can reliably watch the game without delays, stream interrupts, connection issues and poor quality
I’ve noticed that Kayo gets really tetchy if I’m not using the latest updated version so I always check for updates pre game

Reactions: 1 users