The Glass Half Full Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Glass Half Full Thread

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I'm looking forward to watching the VFL again today.

I like your list Smoking...

Only thing I will say, is we need top 5, at worst top 10 picks. What we have in your list is ok but we need the A grade picks at the very high end.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The Darksiders are starting to feel like they belong again.

If we make the finals, and I think we will, with a fit squad we'll go deep. Our game works well in the added pressure the finals bring.

Our future looks good. Gibcus, Cumberland (should we call this pair "Soggy Biscuit"?), Sonsie are odds on A Graders. MoJo looking the goods and another who has the Finals pressure game about him.

It's all too easy and lazy to point out the faults, or perceived faults after a loss, but when you concentrate on the positives, we're still in a good place if Dimma and team can bring the best out of our squad.
We may or may not make it Baloo but I reckon the ones who do or might if we don’t will be hoping we don’t. None of them will want to play us

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I'm looking forward to watching the VFL again today.

I like your list Smoking...

Only thing I will say, is we need top 5, at worst top 10 picks. What we have in your list is ok but we need the A grade picks at the very high end.
Absolutely we do. But I expect that to come from trade week. When we are normally linked to a player ie Hopper we get them.

That’s not to say we won’t also ignore the draft.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Cumberland and Sonsie have been massive wins out of the last two weeks.

They have really given me some optimism about next year.

Gibcus is a huge prospect for the future.

Also, the dream is alive!
View attachment 16071
i had us 4th before last night. Now I have us 8th.
The AFL should be "assisting" us to make the finals. They are almost guaranteed a close exciting game.- I dont know if my heart will handle us making the GF this year!

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
i had us 4th before last night. Now I have us 8th.
The AFL should be "assisting" us to make the finals. They are almost guaranteed a close exciting game.- I dont know if my heart will handle us making the GF this year!
We should be asking for a priority pick considering North beat us.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Good thread Sinnerman

Some folks on this site are bleating about our "player development", well is doesn't look too bad to me.

Miller has taken a while but he was always going to & by the way he's still only 22, 23 at the end of next month. Has a bright future imo.
Gibcus will be a beauty
Sonsie same as Gibbo
MJR will come on for sure.
Cumberland is showing why we drafted him.
Ralphsmith is another who'll only get better with experience
Ross still a relative baby
Dow showed something early in the year
Banks is starting to level up
Brown is too
Biggie is still only very young & showed up well in the ruck last week. Has a way to go but I like his improvement
Clarke has it, just needs time
Ryan is improving all the time & still very young, another season or so & he'll be a regular 1sts player
Bauer is young & raw but looks ok at this stage.

The big question in my mind is what is happening with RCD & Stack????

We have Bolton, Balta, Baker, D Rioli, Graham, Short, Soldo in the under 25/26 bracket basically just coming into their prime.

Do/will we have holes to fill in the very near future, sure, but with astute trading & drafting those holes will be filled with pretty good talent.

We'd be very lucky to get anyone of the calibre of Dusty, Cotch, Jack, Shedda, Grimes etc but we can live in hope.

Reactions: 4 users

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
We found miller,vibcus,sonsie,ralphsmith ,cumberland can all play excelent footy...( banks brown and clarke to )
Ross and maurice have shown plenty of gpod stuff to..
Add someone like Taranto and we have a team to work with
For now
Make the 8
Dusty and lynch will be back
All of a sudden things change..

I feel frustrated etc but i end up feeling pretty positive each weel once the heart and mind recover from another silly loss

Reactions: 3 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Absolutely we do. But I expect that to come from trade week. When we are normally linked to a player ie Hopper we get them.

That’s not to say we won’t also ignore the draft.
hope we get Taranto or Hopper. For me, Taranto. For many of you, Hopper. No worries either way I hope.

i agree w you, Blair has done a great job of getting who we targeted - Lynch, Prestia and even Tarrant come to mind. Treloar a miss you could say?
Did we chase Cerra Smoking?

I'm just a little pessimistic this year - just gut feel, nothing else - that we arent in the box seat like other years.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Good thread Sinnerman

Some folks on this site are bleating about our "player development", well is doesn't look too bad to me.
TT33, that would be me bleating about our player development.

Last year, our VFL team finished 11th. Geelong's finished 4th, Melb 5th, Bulldogs first, Hawks 3rd.
Year before, no footy.
In our McCrae VFL year of 2019, we won the flag. Also with McCrae (I think??) in 2018, the Hawks won, but we finished the H&A season 1st.

This year, Geelong are lower than us, but live ladder, we are 10th.

If the VFL reflects anything, isnt one of those reflections 'player development'?

Oh and BTW, that's not even close to what I mean by player d/ment. We make the same mistakes over and over. that's the player d/ment that is lacking.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Last year, our VFL team finished 11th. Geelong's finished 4th, Melb 5th, Bulldogs first, Hawks 3rd.
Year before, no footy.
In our McCrae VFL year of 2019, we won the flag. Also with McCrae (I think??) in 2018, the Hawks won, but we finished the H&A season 1st.

If the VFL reflects anything, isnt one of those reflections 'player development'?

Oh and BTW, that's not even close to what I mean by player d/ment. We make the same mistakes over and over. that's the player d/ment that is lacking.
Not sure how we could have finished 11th last year. That must have been our position when Covid ended the season prematurely. We’re actually still defending Premiers from 2019. What the VFL team imho needs is a better coach. No real disrespect to Morro, but he’s basically gone straight from playing to coaching with no real apprenticeship. I suspect our VFL may be better next year with some more draftees, and the good ones from this year pressuring the seniors for spots.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Not sure how we could have finished 11th last year. That must have been our position when Covid ended the season prematurely. We’re actually still defending Premiers from 2019. What the VFL team imho needs is a better coach. No real disrespect to Morro, but he’s basically gone straight from playing to coaching with no real apprenticeship. I suspect our VFL may be better next year with some more draftees, and the good ones from this year pressuring the seniors for spots.
it did end prematurely but from our 10 games, we finished 11th.
From Geelong's and melb's 9 games, they finished 4th and 5th.

This is exactly what I am saying about the coaches we have and how they are, or are not, developing our players.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Year before, no footy.

Oh and BTW, that's not even close to what I mean by player d/ment. We make the same mistakes over and over. that's the player d/ment that is

Year before, no footy.

We lost most of our 2019 VFL Premiership player for the 2020 season, for various reasons, mostly beyond our control.
Fly progressed onto the senior coaching panel which was a good thing imo (not for the VFL team but for the club & Fly in general)

2020 was a nothing year for us in the VFL.
2021 we tried to rebuild the list but we're unable to get the same quality of players that we lost, same thing this year. We have a very very young VFL list & very few experienced AFL players to mentor them. Most of the AFL guys playing in the VFL are inexperienced.
This is a deliberate move by the club imo, why I don't know.

We lost Chol & CCJ which hasn't helped, we could afford to lose 1 of them but not both. Injuries to key senior players also hasn't helped.

Is Morro a good coach, I don't know, it's too early to tell imo, he must be given a chance to show what he can do for more than just 1 season.
Do we need more development coaches, I believe so. Let's hope we appoint them during the upcoming off season.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
We can’t afford to.
Especially the last one.

I got a sudden rush of confidence this morning.

We out-muscled a genuine flag contender, undermanned, without luck,

6 weeks out.

If we were a racehorse setting for the cox plate,

Weve followed up a 2 shocking runs with a bullocking deadheat against the 3rd favourite

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Especially the last one.

I got a sudden rush of confidence this morning.

We out-muscled a genuine flag contender, undermanned, without luck,

6 weeks out.

If we were a racehorse setting for the cox plate,

Weve followed up a 2 shocking runs with a bullocking deadheat against the 3rd favourite
I would be a lot more confident of what what we could achieve if we hadve banked our finals spot in the last 3 weeks. Right now - no certainties to even make it. Think we may have butchered this season unfortunately - too many close losses.

• Wow